Amazon Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 19, 2017

3.5

406 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in August 2017.

Interview

I am interviewing with the AmazonFresh team. The phone interviews were manageable and went well. Before the in person interview, I had to write up an example of a judgment call. I then got that question two times during the in person interview. I had examples for each leadership principle ready but in hindsight, I should have had 3 examples for each leadership principles which isn't easy when most companies don't set goals and accurately measure your impact. Recruiter, Hiring Manager, Team Member, 5 hour interview with entire team and 1 bar raiser, written assessment. Bar riser is one person not on your team that can veto you if you wouldn't fit in the culture. I got along with him the best. My struggle was the last person after 4 hours of being grilled I think I was just tired and got very nervous.

Interview Questions

• Make sure you have 3 examples for each leadership principle since you get the same question over again by different people and it is frowned upon to say the same thing. All answers should follow the STAR method and you need to tell the story with emphasizing the results instead of just reading them off.

1. Why Amazon now?
      2. What is the most technical project you worked on? What were the risks? Impact?
      3. Who are you?
      4. What feedback have you received from past managers?
      5. What was your most creative idea?
      6. Give an example of a project that had a change in scope and how did you handle it?
      7. Give an example of when a project failed?
      8. How did you vent your ideas and convince leadership?
      9. Name a new metric you discovered?
      10. Walk me through your background?
      11. Give an example when you didn't agree with your manager?
      12. What are the KPIs for your company?
      13. How would someone who has worked with you describe you?
      14. What was your proudest moment in your career? What part did you play in making that happen?
      15. What was a revolutionary idea that you implemented?
      16. If you didn't have goals or KPIs for your example, in hingsight what would you measure and why?
      17. If you were changing the AmazonFresh experience what are some are your ideas and how would you measure them?
      18. What metrics do you use to drive change?
      19. When was a time that you take ownership outside of your role?
      20. What is an area that is an opportunity for you to improve upon?
      21. Tell me about a feature or customer experience that had multiple CX issues?
      22. Tell me about a time you disagreed with your manager - I got this question 3 times
      23. Tell me when you made a judgment call since you didn't have any data (make sure you have 3 examples ready)   2 Answers

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Referral. Multiple phone screens then an on-site. Amazon has lightning fast turnaround times. Normally a day or two max.

Most questions revolve around leadership principles and you need to be prepared with stories about your past accomplishments. They will dig into the finest details of your story so make sure you remember everything or write it down. Don’t take it the wrong way if they keep digging or if they cut you off to ask a more detailed question. They just want to be sure you know what you’re talking about. Any technical skill mentioned will be immediately tested more or less on the white board or with a clarifying question.

I probably sat with 7 or 8 people that day.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when______________   1 Answer
    • Questions about leadership principles. Don’t take this lightly.   Answer Question

Online Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in November 2017.

Interview

It is long and requires a lot of free time during working hours and a whole day for face-to-face interviews at the location. Behavioral analysis is most important and based on S.T.A.R. questions and interview methods. You need to remember precisely what you achieved and what you learnt in the most positive way.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe a time when you brought up an idea or suggestion that was rejected by management and how did you handle it?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

On-campus recruiting for business school students; first round interviews include two 30-minute interviews, which included both case and behavioral questions. In the interview, you should be able to showcase your understanding of Amazon's leadership principles. Both case and behavioral questions are used to test your logical thinking.

Interview Questions

• Behavior questions- how did you run the project which was heavily opposed?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Amazon (Chicago, IL) in October 2017.

Interview

I went through my school's recruiting process. There were several parts: 1) resume submission 2) online test (scenarios and essay) 3) first round 4) final round. The online test was pretty straightforward. The first and final rounds were similar - two back to back interviews per round. There is a bar raiser in at least one of your interviews who will challenge your assumptions. Be sure to know the Amazon leadership principles.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in September 2017.

Interview

I have interviewed for an AWS PM role in August - September in Seattle. Applied through a glassdoor job ad listing. Total of 5 rounds of interviews - inital phone screen, video call, 1 manager on-site, 1 team on-site and finally a manager 2 level up.

Not easy, they definitely "nicely" roast you with relevant questions, but I guess that is expected. Lots of case questions and typical amazon principal questions.

I used a interview prep guide I found on interviewjoy.com which was very helpful. If you want this job, you better prepare *a lot* by working on sample questions and practice answering them as if you are in an interview. Better prep also shows your recruiter how much you want the job.

Interview Questions

• Just before a product launch, tech team notifies you that they found a bug in the code and you'll need to delay the launch. How do you communicate this to your stakeholders?   2 Answers

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

I applied for the position and was contacted by a Recruiter/HR representative to do basic interview over the phone, 2. a second interview was set up over the phone with a team member (direct report), 3. the next interview was with the next tier of management over the phone.

Interview Questions

• What 10 things did you have at your previous job that you kept in your back pocket for driving real, large-scale change?   2 Answers

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in July 2017.

Interview

The process included:
    - Initial screening with Lead Recruiter
    - Initial phone call with the hiring manager
    - On-site interview with total of 6 people

For product manager roles; Amazon prefers self-starters and likes to see innovative capacity aligned with the leadership principles.

First thing first; Amazon is not for everyone. It is a high-performance and restless environment. (Remember restless.com ?) But if you want the job, you need to really prepare for the interviews, especially for the on-site round. Even if you don’t get an offer, you will learn a lot during the process. Amazon has the most intense and serious recruiting process I have ever experienced.

Here is the interview checklist that worked for me; follow the steps to nail the interview.

0) Preparation is the key, If you are not prepared (especially for the on-site) take a later time to get prepared. There is no point to go an Amazon interview without adequate preparation, don’t waste your time. You will need at least 20 hours of preparation. I spent around 40. Working for Amazon was my dream-job; so I invented heavily.

1) Get into Jeff Bezos’ brain. Reading the 15 principles from the web site doesn’t makes that much sense. Instead read ‘The Amazon Way’, the book that will help you to understand the inner mentally of Mr. Bezos, that became the ‘religion’ of Amazon. A truly inspiring book...

2) Think 2-3 alternatives for each behavioral question listed here on Glassdoor. I have listed like 80 of them total and created answers. In an interview you won’t have time to remember them. Also you are asked to give a different answers if the question is asked before. Remember, those guys will be typing every word that comes out of your mouth and share it internally.

3) Tie all of your stories to one or multiple a leadership principle. Write your stories that in mind. Don’t let them hang in the void; nobody will care to see you are a hard worker.

4) On-site interview is also a physical challenge. Prepare accordingly with your diet and exercise, starting from couple of days before the interview. I am pretty serious here, the day long interview will suck your energy out of your bones, and if you can not keep up your boost at 3pm with the nervous bar raiser - generally that is the last round - you will be knocked out!

5) Prepare yourself to a ‘stress interview’. Most probably your ‘bar-raiser’ will grill you more than the other guys, and he/she will intentionally increase the stress level. Be prepared for it, it is part of the game, dont’ take it offensive. Don’t drink coffee that day, keep your sweet snacks in your pocket.

6. Trust you skills and personality and repeat yourself “I don’t need Amazon, but Amazon needs me”. Yes, Amazon is a huge talent grinder with a very high turnover rate. They need to recruit best talent continuously, which is a very tough. So, if you trust your skills ; embrace them, never let your interviewer set the tone of the interview. You are the value, you are the boss.

7. The key question you need to answer is why you want to work with Amazon. Amazon is not known for being employee-friendly, or best place to work; so find an honest answer. You can answer this question if only you know what you want, and know about Amazon. My answer is “I want to do start-up work in a giant company”, find whatever is yours.

Amazon is an amazing, one-of-a-kind company. You will like learning more about it, so take the interview process as a learning activity. I have estimated the rejection rates for each round is like 70%-80% range, so don’t take the outcome so serious. I saw mediocre past colleagues who passed Amazon’s high ‘bar’, and some very talented people got rejected.

The key is how you position yourself in the shadow of Amazon’s 15 cultural pillars.

Hope that helps :)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview process was fairly simple. I contacted a friend of a friend via LinkedIn and she recommended me to the recruiter and hiring manager. The recruiter contacted me about my availability and then scheduled the interviews.

Interview Questions

• What was one complicated problem that you were able to solve with one simple solution?   2 Answers

Senior Product Marketing Manager Interview

Application

Interview

2 phone calls and 1 in-person loop. Each person takes a moment to tell you the "this is what I do in my role" and then goes on to ask you a "tell me about a time" question. They take lots of notes and ask clarifying questions, i.e., "what was the result," "how did that make you feel"

Personally, I didn't find the questions or the overall process to be as hard as it is made out to be. From what I gathered, they want an apples to apples person to match exactly what the job description is. So, if you are in finance and want to go into marketing, this is not the place. Go into finance and pray they will move you into marketing. I also found the process to be a little dull. Someone said this on this site and I found it to be true. There isn't passion. There are lots of people who can recite the leadership principles as I can recite "Mary Had a Little Lamb" but the energy behind those words was missing. I was never quite able to get someone to articulate what they did all day. That said, building is nice, modern. Didn't like the work stations. Random and close together and dogs, dogs, and more dogs.

Just sharing for those who might be curious. Best of luck to all those who are interested. Besides the quirky, it's still a great brand.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when a project was delayed and didn't go as planned. What were the steps you took?   Answer Question