Amazon Program Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 11, 2017

3.4

411 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in December 2015.

Interview

Step 1:
    Got an email from Amazon recruiter that they saw my profile matching with their requirement and interested to see whether am willing to proceed with interview process. I said why not, as Amazon in one of my dream company to join with. I replied back with all required details and resume.

Step 2:
    After one week I got an email for first phone interview. Which was technical round. The guy who interviewed me was senior development engineer and interview went for 1 hour. It was perfectly planned and he was very nice guy and has experience in taking interview for sure.

Step 3:
    After one week from first phone interview, i got an email stating, they liked talking with me and willing to proceed with second phone interview. I have replied and they scheduled me second technical phone interview in a week. Now, Senior technical project/program manager took the interview and it was really interactive and went very smooth. It was more of behavior and scenario related questions and he helped here and there to provide the lead to answer. It was only for 40 mins as that manager was busy with some other important work to do. But it was great. He informed me right away that he liked me and he will ask recruiter to schedule next round as a pure technical.

Step 4:
    After 5 days, I got an email for Final Phone interview, and this will be pure technical. I provided my availability. In meantime when I was waiting for final phone interview, I got an email stating they willing to fly me to Seattle amazon.com office for in person interview. There you go.

Step 5:
    All arrangements done in 2 days and I flew to their office for in person interview. There were totally 6 interviews, each 45 mins. In between there was one lunch meeting with manager from different team. All interviewers were very cool and process oriented. I studied many reviews and comments from glass door and other websites. But its not really that bad as they have pointed out. Amazon has a process to note each and every word you say to decide your ability. So I don't think their activity to type what you say while the interview in process is bad at all, because they are recording it for future decision. So I really agree they have their process which is working well for them and I felt good. Most of the questions were behavior, given scenario, your past experience, technical, design, architecture related. It started at 9:30 and ended at 4 PM with 5 mins break between some interview.

Overall it was great experience to me.

Senior Program Manager Interview

Interview

All phone based, set up by HR with numerous people on each. Had 3 interviews over the phone with different groups. They seemingly were interviewing me for multiple positions not just what I had applied for.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon in August 2017.

Interview

Very easy process, applied online and received an email for phone interview.
    Was informed to go through few Leadership Principles and prepare.I think the process is more, a few more interviews will be there in future.Let's see...how it goes in the coming weeks.

Interview Questions

• What is the most difficult projects you have worked? How did you handle conflict there?
      What are the lessons learned and how can you ensure not to repeat that in future? Any questions you have about Amazon? How can you perform better?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I applied for a sr. Program manager role with the Alexa team. Got two rounds of phone interview followed by a full day of inperson panel interview. About 8 different people interviewed through the day one on one.

Interview Questions

• Standard amazon principles questions. You can find it on their website.   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in July 2017.

Interview

Just behavioural questions around leadership principles. It was easy interview. The recruiter was professional and had good chat around agile and waterfall. Just be ready with examples around leadership questions.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Met with 5 people, 1 hour each. Mostly behavioral questions based on leadership principles + White board exercise/case study
    Behavioral questions were very specific "tell me about a time when" questions. I recommend spending a few hours brainstorming the experiences that you want to talk about before the interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to make a decision quickly and didn't have time to consult with your manager or teammates.   1 Answer

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in July 2017.

Interview

Was prepped to answer every single question around leadership principles. Hit it off incredibly well with the hiring manager in the first interview. The recruiter would only communicate via email and refused to return a call. I had a second over the phone and figured I didnt need to script as much, but I was wrong. Answer everything around a leadership principle and tie it to a number impact. Its unfortunate they dont hire someone that doesnt fit in their specific box because it is against diversity of thought, bias for action and agree to disagree. They probably wouldn't have roles opened for months if they tried something different. I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and this wasnt meant for me, but I do feel bad that this team has been trying to fit the exact mold of something for 4 months and they are about to go down head too.

Interview Questions

• describe a complex project, explain why you feel it was complex and a deep dive into organizational behavior around this project   Answer Question
    • describe a time when you had conflict   Answer Question
    • tell me about a time where you wanted to change something and were met with resistance   Answer Question
    • tell me about a situation where you made an improvement to a process or system   Answer Question

Senior Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Cambridge, MA) in July 2017.

Interview

Phone interview recruiter
    Phone interview other senior TPM
    Phone interview hiring senior TPM
    On-site interviews with 5 or 6 people

Rigorous interviewing, hard selection, but no feedback on why I wasn't hired. Good people, but a hard culture I expect.

Interview Questions

• Q: Describe you toughest project and what you did to get it finished.   Answer Question

Senior Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon in July 2017.

Interview

First round was online survey assessment followed by a time writing exercise on an innovative thing you've done. Next round was back to back video interviews (Half hour each), all behavioral based but super detailed and they will challenge you on everything you say. Second round was two more back to back video interviews (45 minutes each). More behavioral but also some cases. The interviews were rude, difficult and downright made me not want to work for Amazon.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when you had to convince a group of people to do something   Answer Question
    • Talk about a time when you had to earn someones trust   Answer Question
    • Talk about a time when you failed   Answer Question
    • You are trying to decide whether the Amazon Dot or a PS4 should be the front banner on the Amazon home screen for cyber Monday. How would you go about that?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Austin, TX) in July 2017.

Interview

Amazon Recruiter had phone interview with me and asked me to come in same afternoon. He said he had many openings for me. He thought I was a great dit and said the Hiring Manager was really excited about my resume, I was not able to so we scheduled the interview for a few days later. I had to ask him to send me the job description. I phoned the day before to get directions to the interview and got voicemail. He then sent me a short message on LinkedIn that 'they were not able to fill the position right now.' He didn't apologize for inconveniencing me, gave no explanation and just dropped my candidacy. I was not impressed. Disrespectful, entitled, unprofessional and uncaring all come to mind.

Interview Questions

• Never got that far but you can google them. He said he was going to interview me on the 12 leadership principles.   Answer Question