Amazon Research Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Research Scientist Interview Questions

Updated Mar 11, 2017

3.2

Research Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

2 phone screens, 1 after the other. Each takes an hour. They didn't ask any behavioral questions, not even about my projects or resume, was all technical questions. Interviewers were friendly and helpful. I guess each interviewer has their own style, 1 asked just prob&stats, the other only network design type questions.

Operations Research Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

I applied for the operations research scientist position via Amazon.jobs. I got an email from HR and did screening phone interview. After that, I did 2 technical phone interviews with senior operations research scientists.

Interview Questions

• Formulate Supply Chain Network and Vehicle Routing Problem   1 Answer

Research Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon in February 2017.

Interview

Contacted by HR, invited to a phone interview by a research scientist. The interview was 45 min long, contains around 4 questions. 2 about experience on the resume, 2 technical type of questions. One about probability, one about solving a optimization problem.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

Long, with 3 phone screens and an on-site interview. But it is very well organized, the questions really try to match your experience to the specifics of the job and company's culture.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

Technical phone interview - very technical questions about algorithms, supervised and unsupervised and cost function. Very in depth.
    2 days later - call for onsite
    Onsite: 6 one hour interviews - 3 only behavioral and 3 behavioral + technical
    Focus on amazon principles

Interview Questions

• Assumptions of regression
      Explain naive bayesian method?
      Case study of a business problem
      1 Answer

Research Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon in September 2016.

Interview

I take a one day interview. Every interviewer is nice and sharp. Don't say anything you are not familiar with, they shall figure it out. I was asked about the behavior, coding and questions about my own research. I receive their offer in one week after the on site interview.

Interview Questions

• Except the professional questions related to my CV, I was asked a programming problem about topological sort.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied online. I had one phone interview. Asked about very general questions related to data science. No coding session. After that, they invited me for an onsite interview. I was bit surprised because I heard they go through at least two phone screens before the onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• I have an academic background and I am trying to move to industry. They asked multiple times why I am switching to industry.

I also got a lot of non-data science questions, such as basic algorithms questions (sorting, binary trees, time complexity, etc). So it is a good idea to prepare for both.

They gave a scenario and ask me to tell a story from my experience that resembles that scenario (these are related to Amazon leadership skills).
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Orlando, FL) in July 2016.

Interview

The interviewer is very nice. He would like to give you a hint if you ecountered some troubles. However, there are too many technical questions, which make the pace of interview too fast for me. The interviewer first asked some questions about me research, including some details and clarification some concepts. Then he asked several questions on basic statistics concepts. These concepts need to be interpretted to non statisticians. The questions gradually became complex.

Interview Questions

• Comparing Lasso and Ridge regression.   1 Answer

Research Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in April 2016.

Interview

Two phone interviews consisted of rudimentary machine learning problems and modeling questions. The interviewers are very nice and will give you positive feedbacks. Expect to have behavioral questions such as how do you deal with conflict in your research

Research Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in March 2016.

Interview

Contact one of the researchers in the team and put me in contact with the recruiter. No phone screenings. The onsite consisted of a one hour talk, plus 4 1-hour one on ones with scientists, engineers and a product manager. I had lunch with head of department, who was super nice. Sadly, you don't get to know what the project is about until you start working at Amazon, the project is secret also within the company, so you might not be able to tell other Amazonians.

Interview Questions

• Explain your research, how did you solve things, how could it be improved, etc.   Answer Question