Amazon Senior Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 24, 2017

3.4

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Two phone screens, five hour onsite with eight different employees including hiring manager, peers and others outside the team. 95% of interactions were based on computer-generated questions that are meant to gather data on your alignment with company leadership principals. 5% actual human interaction, which is not factored into decision. Interview process is cold and robotic, as you are carefully recounting stories in a dry, repetitive format, while the interviewer feverishly attempts to write down every word you say. This is the case for both phone screens and in-person interviews, which is even more strange and uncomfortable. Two to four page writing sample based on the same bank of leadership principal questions is required to be submitted two days prior to onsite interview.

Received coaching from former Amazon employee, did extensive research, including preparing six pages of case studies and career vignettes. Made it to onsite interview, and felt that the interviews went very well (considering the extremely dry and impersonal format) and that I gave strong answers to each question. Was notified by email the next morning after the onsite that the hiring manager was going to "pursue other candidates." No additional feedback was provided and recruiter blew off scheduled follow up call.

Putting aside the feeling of rejection that naturally comes with not getting the job, I ultimately came away from this experience turned off by the culture and process. After a few days I felt relieved that I would not have to address the many concerns this process raised for me, including work/life balance, "fast-walking" everywhere and a generally high-pressure culture. In this next career move my goals is to accomplish great things with fun, passionate people who are smarter than me and that I can learn from. I did not get that impression from the people I met with.

Senior Product Manager Interview

Application

The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

The recruiter called me. Had two phone screens. Then flew into Seattle. Horrible experience. Interviewer was getting on my nerves and trying to push my buttons. They really wanna see if you have a slave mentality and will give up your inner peace to work in this shot storm of a company. I dodged a bullet.

Interview Questions

• All questions are very much about your experience at previous companies. STAR methodology.   1 Answer

Senior Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Very good interview process. all the interviewers were good and wanted to know more about your skillset and capabilities. They want to know more about leadership capabilities and your role as a leader

Interview Questions

• what is the most innovative thing you have in your projects till date   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

3 phone interviews (including 1 with the hiring manager and recruiter)
    1 writing sample
    6 on-site interviews at HQ (including 1 with a bar raiser that checks you're better than at least 50% of current Amazonians of the same level)

Most of the interviews are based on Amazon's leadership principles. I found it a great opportunity to reflect on one's professional and personal experiences, and learn if one is a good fit for Amazon's culture too. My recruiter also generously invested time helping me better prepare by explaining every leadership principle and providing concrete examples.

Although I didn't accept Amazon's kind offer, I really enjoyed meeting with the Kindle content team! From my conversations with the director, hiring manager and peer PMs on the team, I was impressed by the hiring manager's willingness to invest in his team's professional growth, and the Kindle team's collaborative culture e.g. the Kindle PMs meet regularly to give each other feedback.

Interview Questions

• When you were working on [experience X], what did you find surprising?   3 Answers

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

A single day for the interview with five 45 minute interviews each with a single person. The people were a mix of peers and higher levels. One interview was with the 'bar raiser.' If you don't know what the bar raiser is, then Google it. There was also a 45 minute presentation. My #1 tip: Prepare one or two examples of a Situation Task Action Response (STAR) for each of the Amazon Leadership Principles. This is the #1 thing you can do to prepare for an Amazon interview. If you don't do this, you will struggle in the interview.

Interview Questions

• Q: Talk about a time when you had an employee that wasn't living up to your performance expectations and how you handle that?   1 Answer

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Application

The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Two phone interviews. A twice delayed in person. I prepared myself with the STAR stories.
    The hiring manager went as far to tell me the name of
    the other applicant. Told me how to negotiate salary. Recommended a two week vacation before starting. The hiring manager told me I had been inclined by others. Told me they had declined the other applicant. Made all indications I would get the offer. I didn't get the offer. I was shocked as the violation of policies the hiring manager made in revealing so much data seemed too risky. Learned that the core team was a yes and the bar raiser was a no.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time. Can't stress enough to prepare stories with behavioral interview practice   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

I was approached through LinkedIn for an interview as they were doing a hiring event in my City (I am not US based).
    This was followed by some negotiation for finding a time for a phone interview (time differences are always a challenge).
    The actual phone interview went very well and at the end she said that she would like to send me some written questions and she needed my email address. I opted to email her so she could email me back - been a couple of weeks now with total radio silence. Not sure if this is just the way they do things or if I should take a hint. Either way I have attempted a few follow ups and have been left in the dark.

Interview Questions

• Unsurprisingly they asked for examples of where I used data to make a decision. Also a lot of customer focused questions.   3 Answers

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon in May 2017.

Interview

I had a short phone call with a recruiter, and then a short phone screen with a hiring manager. I was given feedback regarding my interview within a few days.

Interview Questions

• Give me a short elevator pitch about you and your background   1 Answer

Senior Technical Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

AWS is growing so quickly that even getting in the door is a problem. I was cold-called by a hiring manager. First was a one-hour phone interview with a hiring manager. Then was another one-hour technical phone interview. After that I had to write a two-page essay on some work experience or problem-solving activity.

Unlike my previous experiences dealing with Amazon, this position was actually going to be in the location they claimed it to be. So, not having yet another bait-and-switch was refreshing. A week later a recruiter calls you to answer random questions you might have. Finally, a 4 or 5 hour on-site interview happens. Sometimes it was one person and other times it was two people. All of them asked the same 3 questions mixed with unique ones, mostly concerning the topics in their Leadership Principles and emphasizing that Amazon is a cheap company (their word is "frugal"). I also discovered later that the salary was probably going to be far below my current one.

My one observation is that the on-site interview is a complete waste of time if your personality doesn't match theirs. I knew halfway through that no matter what I said I was just wasting my time. Everyone seemed to exude the same personality traits and ambivalent attitude which made me uncomfortable. I had more technical skills than any of them, which was clear, but I guess they did not like me. That's OK, because in this I'm used to that kind of attitude in this difficult industry.

A suggestion: if you do not have several years of AWS usage in a production setting I would advise you to ask about that up front so you don't waste your day off being humiliated.

Interview Questions

• What was a project that you were able to change or pivot to meet a changing expectation? (I was asked this no fewer than 3 separate times)   1 Answer

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

1. Email from recruiter with 10 questions to complete (including salary details, which I did not provide)

2. Phone screen with recruiter (10 min); the quality of this call was so poor, and the background noise was so loud, that I actually thought I was on the phone with a call center; I didn't realize this person was the primary recruiter for the role.

3. Phone screen with hiring manager (45 min); hiring manager was mostly selling me on the role, then asked a bit about my background/experience. Role requirements seemed fluid - I was unsure on whether or not I was interested, but the hiring manager said they would build a role around the right person. (In retrospect, this should have been a flag.)

4. In person interview; 6 separate one-on-one 30-45 minute conversations. The interview was all over the place. Some interviewers shared what leadership principles they were screening on; others did not. I got asked several questions repeatedly, which became increasingly boring as the day went on. Questions were not hard, but they weren't very interesting either. Day-of recruiting coordinator was lovely at making sure I felt comfortable and was fed/watered; people asked if I needed a restroom break. Overall people ended up describing the role differently than the hiring manager, which raised some flags about leadership / team communication. I ended the day much less enthusiastic about the role, with a number of concerns. Stopped putting much effort into the interview mid-way through when I realized the role wasn't a fit and I wasn't interested in trying to find other opportunities at the company.

5. Received a "ding" two days after the interview, by phone. I told the recruiter that I had found the experience disappointing and that a number of flags were raised; he did not ask any follow-up questions and was not interested in hearing any feedback, which seemed like a missed opportunity for Amazon.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you used out of the box thinking to have a big impact at a company.   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time you received really hard, challenging feedback. (Was asked this THREE times.)   2 Answers