Amazon Senior Technical Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Senior Technical Manager Interview Questions

Updated Aug 9, 2017

3.5

88 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon in August 2017.

Interview

Very easy process, applied online and received an email for phone interview.
    Was informed to go through few Leadership Principles and prepare.I think the process is more, a few more interviews will be there in future.Let's see...how it goes in the coming weeks.

Interview Questions

• What is the most difficult projects you have worked? How did you handle conflict there?
      What are the lessons learned and how can you ensure not to repeat that in future? Any questions you have about Amazon? How can you perform better?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Cambridge, MA) in July 2017.

Interview

Phone interview recruiter
    Phone interview other senior TPM
    Phone interview hiring senior TPM
    On-site interviews with 5 or 6 people

Rigorous interviewing, hard selection, but no feedback on why I wasn't hired. Good people, but a hard culture I expect.

Interview Questions

• Q: Describe you toughest project and what you did to get it finished.   Answer Question

Senior Technical Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

A one-hour phone interview followed by a writing sample followed by a four-hour interview in person. The phone interview was mostly technical. The in-person interview was half technical and half situational. The interview covered a wide array of technologies.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about troubleshooting a performance issue given the following architecture... ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Very good interview process. all the interviewers were good and wanted to know more about your skillset and capabilities. They want to know more about leadership capabilities and your role as a leader

Interview Questions

• what is the most innovative thing you have in your projects till date   1 Answer

Senior Technical Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

AWS is growing so quickly that even getting in the door is a problem. I was cold-called by a hiring manager. First was a one-hour phone interview with a hiring manager. Then was another one-hour technical phone interview. After that I had to write a two-page essay on some work experience or problem-solving activity.

Unlike my previous experiences dealing with Amazon, this position was actually going to be in the location they claimed it to be. So, not having yet another bait-and-switch was refreshing. A week later a recruiter calls you to answer random questions you might have. Finally, a 4 or 5 hour on-site interview happens. Sometimes it was one person and other times it was two people. All of them asked the same 3 questions mixed with unique ones, mostly concerning the topics in their Leadership Principles and emphasizing that Amazon is a cheap company (their word is "frugal"). I also discovered later that the salary was probably going to be far below my current one.

My one observation is that the on-site interview is a complete waste of time if your personality doesn't match theirs. I knew halfway through that no matter what I said I was just wasting my time. Everyone seemed to exude the same personality traits and ambivalent attitude which made me uncomfortable. I had more technical skills than any of them, which was clear, but I guess they did not like me. That's OK, because in this I'm used to that kind of attitude in this difficult industry.

A suggestion: if you do not have several years of AWS usage in a production setting I would advise you to ask about that up front so you don't waste your day off being humiliated.

Interview Questions

• What was a project that you were able to change or pivot to meet a changing expectation? (I was asked this no fewer than 3 separate times)   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Recruiter approached me via LinkedIn. First level of screening is phone interview for an hour. Final screening had a writing exercise and 5 rounds of in-person interview with panelists at Amazon office.
    Tip is to have many different impactful examples for the same scenario as it can be asked multiple times.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioral and scenario based questions like
      1. Toughest situation you have faced and how did you overcome?
      2. When did u disagree with the entire team and why?
      3. How did you manage when a project deadline was missed?
      4. Most innovative idea / value add provided.
      5. How many teams you have coordinated with in a project? Challenges?
      6.Why Amazon?   1 Answer
    • Final rounds were technical and design questions like
      1. Design a payment system.
      2. How will you display the last searched items and related items to a user.   Answer Question
    • ..   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

One phone interview around both technical and project management. On-site consisted of 5 rounds of technical and program/project management. Some focused heavily on technical but no coding questions. It was more around architecture, best practices, toughest challenge resolved technically.

Interview Questions

• Situational requirements gathering. Was asked around statistical models such normal distribution etc.   1 Answer

Senior Technical Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Park, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (College Park, MD) in March 2017.

Interview

2 rounds. Each round 2 interview. 1st round - 2 interviews 30mins each. 2nd round - 2 interviews 45 mins each.
    Behavioral questions asked. 1 case question about What would be a feature that you'd like to add in Amazon.

Interview Questions

• What would be a feature that you'd like to add in Amazon? Tell me about a time you failed, accomplishment, used data to make a decision, went above and beyond the role you worked in.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

Two HR calls and then a phone screen with an existing TPM in Seattle who had no idea what team I work for and seemed totally disinterested. He asked me the same questions over and over and seemed totally unimpressed with anything I had to say. I was glad when the call ended. The interviewer was a young guy with zero sense of personality or experience of working in the corporate environment (I've been doing this for 20 years).

It's weird since HR were swooning over my resume and sent me all these documents explaining how technical the call would be. There were zero technical questions just odd questions about if people worked for me and what I was previously responsible for.

Apparently 90% of phone screens end badly and I can see why.

Interview Questions

• Have you done anything innovative at all in the last five years?   2 Answers
    • Did people work for you? It wasn't clear before so did they work you?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

Recruiter reached out directly through Linked In and suggested matching post and asked if interested to consider. When I provided consent, a telephonic interview was set up and it lasted for an hour. Received decision within an hour with need for onsite in person interviews. Process was well defined, organized and communicated upfront. Required to submit write up exercise and then 4 in person interviews at onsite which was scheduled providing 2 weeks of lead time.