Amazon Software Development Engineer I Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Software Development Engineer I Interview Questions

Updated Jun 20, 2017

3.1

Interview

I applied to a couple of jobs on amazon.jobs. After a few weeks an automated university recruiter contacted me with a short IQ like test and debugging. After that I was sent another test that was simulating a day at amazon and has 2 code challenge questions. After 2 weeks they contacted me for an onsite interview. They flew me to Seattle and then I had 3 55 minute interviews back to back. Each one started with a STAR question then led to a CTCI like question. Didn't think it went to well but after a week they sent me an offer.

Negotiation

Not room to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

I am a recent graduate so I went through their new graduate interview process. There's two rounds of online interviews that include pattern recognition questions, simple/intermediate algorithm problems, and this bizarre work simulation. If you pass those, you get invited to Seattle for a group interview day with about forty other people split between two rooms. The recruiters seemed very disorganized and rescheduled my on-site interview two days before it was supposed to happen after I had sent multiple emails requesting flight information and what not. As for the interview... It was honestly the most antisocial interview process I've ever heard of or experienced. Before arriving for the interview that day, I had not spoken to anyone in person, and then during the day I had two short interviews with two people each for about five minutes each. My first of these interviews was with someone whose English was not great which was a significant communication barrier. The rest of the day you are on a computer trying to fill in some methods in a decent sized code base that you need to learn quickly. It seemed that they do not care at all about your personality or anything other than whether you can code at a high volume under intense pressure. It was bizarre and I'm not sure I'd want to work at a place that puts so little value on personability and the infamous 'would you want to work with this person?' question. I can't imagine it's a place where you're itching to go out with your coworkers after work or anxiously awaiting to the holiday party... My advice if you want this job: don't waste a second on behavioral questions or 'Why do you want to work at Amazon?' sort of questions. They don't care about that apparently. Practice learning code bases quickly by drawing maps or whatever works for you.

Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Straightforward. 2 coding rounds then a phone interview. First round was a basic debugging round whereas the 2nd round had 2 technical questions. 10 days after that, we were asked to schedule a phone interview date which was scheduled a week from that. The questions asked on the phone interview were all technical in nature. The first question was a basic level order tree traversal.

Interview Questions

• Show level order tree traversal   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

2 Online Assessment, people say there should be a phone interview after this. But I got invited to the onsite after the 2 assessments. Flew me down to Seattle, paid for my hotel and reimbursed food and transportation. On-Site lasted about 5 hours. 1 hour for each interview. 1 behavioral question and 1 technical question or 2 technical questions based on speed. Relatively easy questions nothing like the Cracking the Code interview types. You are interviewing with 5 other people so if you don't get the job don't feel bad. I didn't.

Interview Questions

• Signed an NDA, I think it's valid for only six months after expiry I'll come and update this   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

I completed two online assessments in December 2016, but I didn't hear back until March. I went to an on-site interview in Seattle in March.

The on-site was actually really easy, it was 30 minutes of explaining my code from the online assessments. The first online assessment was very easy with 7 debugging questions and some logic questions, and the second one was a work simulation and then 3 medium level programming questions. I didn't get all three questions right, but still got an offer.

Interview Questions

• Given a linked list, where every node has an arbitrary pointer that points to any node on the list, write a function to create a copy of it.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied for the internship position online, and heard back a few weeks later. I did two online assessments (not too difficult), and then after I was offered the opportunity to do a phone interview. It was a typical phone interview: about 45 minutes. I didn't get extended an offer afterwards.

Interview Questions

• 1. Find the minimum number of train stations required given a list of departure and arrival times.
      2. The online screens had a couple of SAT style questions and some debugging questions.
      1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

Starts with an online debug and code challenge. A couple weeks later I got another online work simulation and code challenge. Finally got an email to come in for a in person interview which would be a group assessment.

3 stages in all and got an offer a week after the group assessment.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon in February 2017.

Interview

Two online assessments and final phone round. The phone interview was most def solvable but make sure to talk the solution through and work with with the engineer. I think that helped me get the offer.

Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

2 online assessments, followed by phone interview.
    1st assessment was one hour and consisted of debugging and MCQs.
    2nd assessment was 70 minutes and consisted of 2 coding questions.
    Phone interview was 45 minutes and consisted of more coding and technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Signed an NDA, so I will not post the questions.   6 Answers

Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

VERY unprofessional interview process.

I applied with a referral in December and got an invitation to take a 7 question debugging and 24 question reasoning test. 2 days later I was invited to take a 2 coding question test. 2-3 weeks later I received an invitation to the final round phone interview. I was given about a range of a week for possible phone interview days, the last day of which was a Wednesday. I picked many available hours on each of those days, and specified that I had an exploding offer the very Thursday after that Wednesday, so that I preferred an interview ASAP. They picked my interview to be the very last day, Wednesday.

Wednesday comes, and 15 minutes after my interview was supposed to start, I get an email that my interviewer has cancelled on me. Again, I have an exploding offer on Thursday so I end up rescheduling for later that same day. 20 minutes after my NEW interview was supposed to start, I finally get a call from my interviewer. That is 20 minutes that I lose off my my total interview time because my interviewer had to be punctual to his next interview, because for some reason it wasn't important to be punctual to mine. The cherry on top was that there was constant static on the phone and my interviewer couldn't even see what I typed and had to disconnect and reconnect constantly because of technical problems on his end. Got the rejection email 1 week later.