Amazon Sr. Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 22, 2017

3.4

251 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in August 2017.

Interview

I am interviewing with the AmazonFresh team. The phone interviews were manageable and went well. Before the in person interview, I had to write up an example of a judgment call. I then got that question two times during the in person interview. I had examples for each leadership principle ready but in hindsight, I should have had 3 examples for each leadership principles which isn't easy when most companies don't set goals and accurately measure your impact. Recruiter, Hiring Manager, Team Member, 5 hour interview with entire team and 1 bar raiser, written assessment. Bar riser is one person not on your team that can veto you if you wouldn't fit in the culture. I got along with him the best. My struggle was the last person after 4 hours of being grilled I think I was just tired and got very nervous.

Interview Questions

• Make sure you have 3 examples for each leadership principle since you get the same question over again by different people and it is frowned upon to say the same thing. All answers should follow the STAR method and you need to tell the story with emphasizing the results instead of just reading them off.

1. Why Amazon now?
      2. What is the most technical project you worked on? What were the risks? Impact?
      3. Who are you?
      4. What feedback have you received from past managers?
      5. What was your most creative idea?
      6. Give an example of a project that had a change in scope and how did you handle it?
      7. Give an example of when a project failed?
      8. How did you vent your ideas and convince leadership?
      9. Name a new metric you discovered?
      10. Walk me through your background?
      11. Give an example when you didn't agree with your manager?
      12. What are the KPIs for your company?
      13. How would someone who has worked with you describe you?
      14. What was your proudest moment in your career? What part did you play in making that happen?
      15. What was a revolutionary idea that you implemented?
      16. If you didn't have goals or KPIs for your example, in hingsight what would you measure and why?
      17. If you were changing the AmazonFresh experience what are some are your ideas and how would you measure them?
      18. What metrics do you use to drive change?
      19. When was a time that you take ownership outside of your role?
      20. What is an area that is an opportunity for you to improve upon?
      21. Tell me about a feature or customer experience that had multiple CX issues?
      22. Tell me about a time you disagreed with your manager - I got this question 3 times
      23. Tell me when you made a judgment call since you didn't have any data (make sure you have 3 examples ready)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview process was fairly simple. I contacted a friend of a friend via LinkedIn and she recommended me to the recruiter and hiring manager. The recruiter contacted me about my availability and then scheduled the interviews.

Interview Questions

• What was one complicated problem that you were able to solve with one simple solution?   1 Answer

Senior Product Marketing Manager Interview

Application

Interview

2 phone calls and 1 in-person loop. Each person takes a moment to tell you the "this is what I do in my role" and then goes on to ask you a "tell me about a time" question. They take lots of notes and ask clarifying questions, i.e., "what was the result," "how did that make you feel"

Personally, I didn't find the questions or the overall process to be as hard as it is made out to be. From what I gathered, they want an apples to apples person to match exactly what the job description is. So, if you are in finance and want to go into marketing, this is not the place. Go into finance and pray they will move you into marketing. I also found the process to be a little dull. Someone said this on this site and I found it to be true. There isn't passion. There are lots of people who can recite the leadership principles as I can recite "Mary Had a Little Lamb" but the energy behind those words was missing. I was never quite able to get someone to articulate what they did all day. That said, building is nice, modern. Didn't like the work stations. Random and close together and dogs, dogs, and more dogs.

Just sharing for those who might be curious. Best of luck to all those who are interested. Besides the quirky, it's still a great brand.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when a project was delayed and didn't go as planned. What were the steps you took?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

Flattered that they contacted me about such an important position. It's a great fit for me. But unfortunately after the first phone interview was scheduled, the recruiter said they were only transferring visas from other employers. I am a Canadian and would qualify under NAFTA, so it was disappointing to have it cancelled with no feedback.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

3 phone interviews (including 1 with the hiring manager and recruiter)
    1 writing sample
    6 on-site interviews at HQ (including 1 with a bar raiser that checks you're better than at least 50% of current Amazonians of the same level)

Most of the interviews are based on Amazon's leadership principles. I found it a great opportunity to reflect on one's professional and personal experiences, and learn if one is a good fit for Amazon's culture too. My recruiter also generously invested time helping me better prepare by explaining every leadership principle and providing concrete examples.

Although I didn't accept Amazon's kind offer, I really enjoyed meeting with the Kindle content team! From my conversations with the director, hiring manager and peer PMs on the team, I was impressed by the hiring manager's willingness to invest in his team's professional growth, and the Kindle team's collaborative culture e.g. the Kindle PMs meet regularly to give each other feedback.

Interview Questions

• When you were working on [experience X], what did you find surprising?   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

I was approached through LinkedIn for an interview as they were doing a hiring event in my City (I am not US based).
    This was followed by some negotiation for finding a time for a phone interview (time differences are always a challenge).
    The actual phone interview went very well and at the end she said that she would like to send me some written questions and she needed my email address. I opted to email her so she could email me back - been a couple of weeks now with total radio silence. Not sure if this is just the way they do things or if I should take a hint. Either way I have attempted a few follow ups and have been left in the dark.

Interview Questions

• Unsurprisingly they asked for examples of where I used data to make a decision. Also a lot of customer focused questions.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Standard process.
    - Two recruiter interviews
    - Two additional phone interviews, one by the hiring manager and another guy on the team
    The process was pretty pleasant overall including the travel booking. The recruiters I worked with were very polite and respectful throughout the process. The onsite was also a pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

• ALL behavioral questions. No market sizing / estimation questions; no strategy questions, no pricing questions, no product design / feature questions. Just behavioral - by all interviewers such as:
      - What's the most revolutionary thing you've done in your job?
      - What's the most innovative thing you've done in your job?
      - Tell me of a time when you made a gut decision, without looking into any data?
      - Tell me of a time when you failed as a product manager?
      - Tell me of a time when you couldn't meet a deadline?
      - Give me an example of when you went above and beyond and many more on the same lines.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Amazon (Atlanta, GA) in April 2017.

Interview

Very condescending hiring staff, recruiter was great. Seems like amazon hires lots of second tier talent, very poor interview experience. Set up as a series of star interviews and writing sample, not very flatering for senior level positions the way they are done and will surely push away the best talent , but that may be the point.

Interview Questions

• Everyone asked the same question about a time you failed or had to make a call without data, then took notes, not conversational. They are trying to adopt star method but unlike consulting companies who are great at star interviews, amazon has a long way to go and too much of their culture and true colors shines through.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied blindly online on the company website. After waiting 2 weeks with no response, reached out to a friend who worked at Amazon. Within 30 minutes of that, a recruiter reached out and asked to arrange a phone interview.

The recruiter had to reschedule the initial phone interview 30 minutes before it was supposed to happen. After that round there was a phone interview with the hiring manager 1 week later. It then took 1.5 weeks to arrange the onsite interview, which was scheduled for 3 weeks later!

Onsite interview was about 6 hours of back-to-back interviews - all the same sort of questions. Only 1/2 of the interviewers worked on the same team as the role and the ones that didn't didn't know anything about the work that they were hiring for.

Be prepared - when interviewing for a PM role, there won't be any questions about being a PM or how much you know about the role. Just make sure you have 14 STAR stories ready which align with the leadership principles. That's all they care about.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time.... (14 of these)   2 Answers

Senior Technical Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Talked with a Recruiter via phone, a team member phone interview, a peer team (customer) phone interview, and finally offered an in person interview in Seattle. It took a very long time, usually between each interview a week would go by or more. From initial screen to in office interview it was 10 weeks total. As many have said it's all about their management principles. Apply those to your standard behavioral questions and add data to any achievements and you are talking the right way. I also had to do an essay assignment prior to the onsite interview, it was against two questions and fairly open ended but did take some time to build this out.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you failed   Answer Question
    • Tell me about one of your greatest success stories in your professional work   Answer Question
    • Something you would change in your current job   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to balance a challenging business groups needs your IT groups needs?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time your team developed a feature that was perfect but couldn't be implemented that way and a compromise had to be made?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had a feature you saw that you could scale beyond it's current use case?   Answer Question
    • Write about a judgement call you had to make that couldn't be analyzed.   Answer Question
    • Write about the most innovative thing you've done.   Answer Question