Amazon Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Intern Interview Questions

Interviews at Amazon

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2012.

Interview

A friend of mine submitted my resume to a hiring manager and I got a phone call about a week later to set up a phone interview. The phone interview involved two different people, both of whom went straight into the technical questioning. There was none of the typical interview banter or "what's your greatest weakness" sort of vagueness. The second guy didn't even have inflection in his voice. He was just a cold, hard, questioning robot... creepy!

About halfway through the phone call I was asked to sit down at my computer and log on to a website where the interviewer watched me write some code to solve a problem he'd specified (printing a series of numbers to a console in a spiral pattern). It was a bit difficult since every time I stopped to think he'd ask me what I was thinking. After several minutes of thinking out loud and typing nervously I managed to complete the problem.

After the online portion of the interview, I was given homework (see "Most Difficult or Unexpected Question"), and told to submit it to them by the end of the day! I had a hot date with tickets to a show that evening, but as the hours went by it became clear that I was going to have to cancel to work on the interview problem. Frustrated and bitter, I resigned to submit what I had by midnight along with documentation on the missing aspects of my solution.

A few days went by and I heard nothing. I still had some questions about the internship that I didn't have a chance to ask over the phone, so I e-mailed my recruiter. She replied the next day with a form letter telling me that they'd decided to pursue other candidates.

Interview Questions

• Recreate the StringBuilder class in C++ from the ground up.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2012.

Interview

I was shocked at how simple and straightforward the interview process was. I had two 45-minute phone interviews that were scheduled back to back. The interview was technical in nature, and consisted of questions related to basic object oriented programming and design. Knowledge of common data structures and runtimes was also necessary. There were no behavioral questions whatsoever.

The interviewers were friendly, but did not give much feedback throughout the process, so it was a little intimidating. There was a part of the interview where they asked me to briefly define a bunch of object orientation terms (ex. polymorphism, class, inheritance, delegation, class, etc.), and another part where they asked me to model the classes of a card game.

Interview Questions

• You are given an array with n positive integers where all values in the array are repeated except for one. Return the one that is not repeated.   11 Answers
    • Reverse a linked list.   4 Answers
    • Write a function that returns the depth of a tree.   4 Answers

Negotiation

They give you a generous salary up front and provide some relocation assistance. I did not negotiate my offer much, but from what I've heard they're pretty firm on their internship offers.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in January 2012.

Interview

My amazon interview consisted of two back-to-back 45-minute technical phone interviews. Each one was fairly standard: they began with open-ended questions (i.e. Tell me about a project where you had a problem but overcame it), then moved to open-ended technical questions (i.e. What is tree? What is a binary tree? Can you think of a situation where you would want to use a tree with a higher degree of branching?) and finally moved into a pure coding exercise, which I wrote and then dictated verbatim to them. The coding challenges were about on par with what I've experienced in other technical interviews - they were routine tasks that focused on efficiently solving a simple problem. I received a call from HR a week later with an offer, and I accepted it.

Interview Questions

• Can you think of an example of a scenario where you would want to use a tree with more degrees of branching than a binary tree?   6 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

2 phone interviews
    Interview 1
    Compute number and print all possible paths from (0,0) to (7,7) in a chess board. you can either move down or right . basically in first interview they either ask about red black, avl , trees or some question based on design and analysis of algorithms. mine was based on dynamic programming
    Interview 2
    what is os, paging, segmentation, virtual memory, i/o mgmt, deadlocks, synchronization - basically all chapters of galvin
    what happens when you type a url in address bar, how are address resolved, domain name space, some database questions etc

Interview Questions

• Dynamic Programming Question   1 Answer

Software Development Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon in March 2012.

Interview

It's a very fast process with only one round. 2 interviewers talked with me on the phone. Each one asked questions about the project experiences and then gave me a question related to data structures or algorithms. Those questions are very easy.

Interview Questions

• What was your worst project? The interviewer asked much further about the project I was talking about. I thought my answer is very bad.   Answer Question

Software Development Intern Interview

Interview

applied in career fair
    Normal process

Interview Questions

• Asked two questions
      1. sort using sliding window
      2. binary search functional program   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in January 2014.

Interview

Got referred to Amazon by a relative. They got back to me a week later and I got 2 back to back 1 hour interviews. Problems were not that hard to average difficulty, but I didn't do well.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of numbers, in which every number occurs an even number of times except one number, which occurs an odd number of times, return the value of the odd number. Question should be done with a hash map but I used a n log n solution.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Houston, TX) in January 2014.

Interview

I have been asked to setup two phone interviews for which date and time slots are given.Both are 45min interviews back to back with a gap of 15min in between.
    The first interviewer has not asked about any personal details but asked a method to find whether the given string of braces are balanced or not.I have approached it the right way taking stack datastructure but i was stuck with the balancing of them.So,I was asked a second question to find whether there is cycle in linked list.
    The second interviewer was pretty cool.She started with some of the personal questions regarding me,my previous job and the course work.Then she asked me to design a program to find common strings from two arrays of strings given.She has also asked optimize the time complexity for this solution.The second question was to find whether two given binary trees are identical are not.
    Overall the experience was great.Be prepared in advance so that you can crack it easily.

Interview Questions

• The question in which i need to find whether two given binary trees are identical are not.   1 Answer

Software Development Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in February 2014.

Interview

I applied during my university career fair. After around two week I got email for n campus interview having two back to back round. Both rounds were technical (45 minutes each).

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected. All the question were from algorithms and data structures   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2012.

Interview

The interview was kind of straightforward .

1st round :

1) Given 2 million stars and their distance from earth, how will you pick out the 200 closest stars? Assume that you can have only 10000 stars at a time in memory.
    Was asked to write code for this question..

2nd round
    2) Remove repeating characters from a string.
    Eg: "Green Apple"
    O/p: Grn Apl

No extra memory allowed - no hashing , no extra arrays. You may use extra variables.