Amazon Software Development Engineer/Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 4, 2017

3.2

200 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon in January 2014.

Interview

My phone interview for Software Development Engineer Intern at Amazon.com was my first phone interview ever. It was a very interesting experience. There were two rounds of interviewing, each lasting 45 minutes each and all the questions asked were purely technical.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Software Development Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2012.

Interview

A friend of mine submitted my resume to a hiring manager and I got a phone call about a week later to set up a phone interview. The phone interview involved two different people, both of whom went straight into the technical questioning. There was none of the typical interview banter or "what's your greatest weakness" sort of vagueness. The second guy didn't even have inflection in his voice. He was just a cold, hard, questioning robot... creepy!

About halfway through the phone call I was asked to sit down at my computer and log on to a website where the interviewer watched me write some code to solve a problem he'd specified (printing a series of numbers to a console in a spiral pattern). It was a bit difficult since every time I stopped to think he'd ask me what I was thinking. After several minutes of thinking out loud and typing nervously I managed to complete the problem.

After the online portion of the interview, I was given homework (see "Most Difficult or Unexpected Question"), and told to submit it to them by the end of the day! I had a hot date with tickets to a show that evening, but as the hours went by it became clear that I was going to have to cancel to work on the interview problem. Frustrated and bitter, I resigned to submit what I had by midnight along with documentation on the missing aspects of my solution.

A few days went by and I heard nothing. I still had some questions about the internship that I didn't have a chance to ask over the phone, so I e-mailed my recruiter. She replied the next day with a form letter telling me that they'd decided to pursue other candidates.

Interview Questions

• Recreate the StringBuilder class in C++ from the ground up.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

I was selected after their on-campus visit. The interview was also held on campus. Interviewed with 2 people for 45 mins each.
    First interviewer: 1) In an array, all numbers appear odd number of times except one. Identify it. Optimize.
    2) Implement a cache and write code for it.
    3) What is virtual memory? What types of scheduling are you aware of?

Interview Questions

• Given a 3x3 keypad with ABC on number 2, DEF on number 3 and so on. Given a set of numbers, output all the english words that can be obtained from it. Assume an in-built function exists to check if the given word is an english word or not.
      Eg: inuput: 228, output: bat, cat, act and so on.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2014.

Interview

Had two back to back interviews. Take process takes lot of time. After 2 weeks got a mail for a third interview. Scheduled the third interview but had to postpone it. After that they said summer intake is complete you will be considered for fall. Scheduled the third interview last week. Was asked to make combinations of word from a phone number
    eg 1-800-222-2342 then 222 can be cab ,etc. Completed it in 45 minutes still got a reject.

Interview Questions

• N th element in a binary tree.
      Mirror Image of a Binary tree
      Queue using stacks.
      Garage class model.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Boston, MA).

Interview

I applied twice, once in early October and once in late October, and I talked to them at a career fair in between those two dates. I did not get an email until the night of December 3rd, which invited me to interview on December 5th. Usually companies will invite you to choose a specific date that fit your schedule so I found it a little rude for them to schedule an interview less than 48 hours away. Luckily I was free at that time, but I did not have a positive image of the process. The two interviews were going to be back to back 45 min phone interviews that started on the hour, so 15 min break in between.

Interview Questions

• write a function that takes in an int and returns a string that would be how one would say that number (ex: 123 -> one hundred twenty three; 50019 -> five thousand nineteen).   3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in West Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (West Lafayette, IN) in February 2014.

Interview

Applied in university career fair, a week later got an email to schedule on campus interview. Had the interview a couple weeks later, 45 minute interviews back to back with two software engineers.
    Although the email indicates you should study databases, operating systems etc., the majority of the questions are on data structures and algorithms. Lots of linked lists, hash maps, binary trees etc.
    Got acceptence email a week later.

Interview Questions

• There are a lot of questions that can be solved by arrays, sorting can be done in O(nlogn)... but they are looking for more than just correct answers, having an answer with a high time / space complexity won't help you.
      There was a tough question about linked lists with next and arbitrary pointers.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation, standard intern payment

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (London, England (UK)) in March 2014.

Interview

I applied on their website in November. Had no response until February, when a recruiter contacted me, sending me a link to a Codility test (which was quite difficult). A week after I submitted the test, the recruiter called me to let me know that I passed the test and that they are inviting me to an onsite interview. The interview was difficult, but straightforward. The interviewer was very nice, and gave me hints when I felt that I was stuck.

Interview Questions

• The technical problem wasn't something very difficult at first sight, but the trick was finding out the most efficient solution, which involved using tries. This solution was not implementable in 45 minutes, so the interviewer asked me to implement a specific part from the solution. There were very few behavioural questions, and nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2014.

Interview

At first, the RH team of Amazon contacted me to make an appointment for two phone interviews of 45min each with 15min break.
    The interviews were technical interviews about Collections and Binary Search Trees. I had to implement a program in each interview about those topics.
    In the first I had to write a method, using the website http://collabedit.com/ , that receives an integer and returns a string. That is an example:
    brackets(0) = {} // no return
    brackets(1) = { () } // returns a string with “()”
    brackets(2) = { (()), ()() }
    brackets(3) = { ((())), (()()), (())(), ()(()), ()()() }
    In the second I had to discourse about Trees and to know how to implement one.
    That was all that happened!

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

I applied for the internship in October and heard from Amazon to schedule an interview in February. It was very unexpected and they wanted me to schedule an interview literally the next day, 10 hours away from the time I read the email. Recruiter was generic with emails (as expected I guess). I found it very rude of Amazon to schedule an interview the next day. The whole process felt rushed. My first interviewer encountered a technical problem with collabedit and I am sure that negatively affected the first interview. The second interview was more of a "scripted" interview. More problem solving issues like find the largest integer in an array, find the third largest in an array. First problem was java inheritance with an object I've never used before, second and third problem was finding largest number and third largest number in an array of integers, last problem was find the path of the largest sum given a triangle of integers. I was asked verbal questions like what data structures do you know? What is a Doubly linked list?, etc. Those were easy.

I heard 5 days later that I was not given an offer. Asked the recruiter for advice and no response.

Interview Questions

• Given a triangle of integers, find the path of the largest sum without skipping.   4 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2014.

Interview

2 rounds of phone interview. Decision in 2.5 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Implement a stack that supports push, pop and mode(the one from statistics) operation. Gave an O(log n ) push and pop and O(1) mode operation.Another good question was implement atoi function. I assumed it as base 10 but was asked to support from binary to any base numbers(even base 50).   2 Answers