Amazon Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 12, 2017

3.1

892 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2008.

Interview

I got the interview by giving them my resume at an on-campus job fair, answering some basic technical questions right on the spot and following up by submitting my resume online that night. They were the only company that asked me actual technical questions at the fair, but I think they were using it in place of a phone screen to weed out the obviously unsuitable candidates.
    I got an e-mail within a day or two, asking me to sign up for an on-campus interview to take place in about two weeks. On the day of the interview I met with two separate people, each for about 45 minutes to an hour.
    The first person asked me a couple of basic can you actually program kind of questions, but then followed up by asking me about the performance characteristics of my implementations and asking me to improve them in time, space or both. He then asked me to design a stack data structure in my language of choice, and asked me to explain my design decisions. Finally he closed the interview by asking me whether there was anything I wanted to know about Amazon, and spending a few minutes answering my questions.
    The second person spent a few minutes discussing the painting on the wall, and used it as a lead-in to ask the hardest question of the interview: how would I determine whether a binary tree structure was symmetric, both in shape, and in contents. I spent a few minutes working out a solution which was in fact wrong, since it tested whether the tree was bushy, not whether it was symmetric. However, the interviewer pointed out that I was wrong, and asked me what was wrong, and what my solution actually did. Once I had answered these questions, he started asking questions designed to lead me to the correct answer, which I did eventually find. Once I had found the correct answer, he asked me some questions about the performance characteristics of the algorithm, as well as how big the data structures involved would grow to during the run.
    Both interviewers seemed more interested in my problem solving process/skills than in how well I answered the questions.
    About a day after the interview, I got an e-mail letting me know that I would be receiving an offer and asking me for a good time for the recruiter to contact me to discuss that offer. I did choose to accept the offer.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of integers, all but one of which appears an even number of times, find the one integer which appears an odd number of times. Upon completion, asked to improve the algorithm in terms of both time and space, eventually asked to do it in O(n) time and constant space.   4 Answers
    • Test whether a binary tree is symmetrical in both data and shape   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon in March 2008.

Interview

There was posting for SDE interns on my university's job site. So I applied online via the job site to the job position. Within a week, I was scheduled for two 45-minute in person interviews on my university's campus. Both interviews were technical interviews with current SDEs. I interviewed with them and they got back to me within two weeks.

Interview Questions

• Find if a linked list has a cycle in it.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2009.

Interview

Gave resume to recruiter during career fair. A month later had an on campus interview; consisted of two 30 minute 1:1 interviews. Since this was an internship interview, the interview consisted of mostly technical questions such as algorithms, coding questions, and data structures questions. One interviewer was very nice, the other was somewhat mean, but I later found out he has a reputation for being a somewhat mean interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Design and implement (in a programming language) an algorithm to solve a boggle puzzle given an API function isWord()   Answer Question
    • Design and implement an algorithm to determine if a binary tree is symmetric.   3 Answers

Negotiation

Did not negotiate. I got the feeling there was very little to negotiate because it was an internship.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2009.

Interview

I submitted my resume through my school and got an invite to an interview. I had two separate approximate 1-hour interviews on the same day, and a few days later got an email saying they liked me. I had a phone screen, scheduled via email, after that, and then an offer was extended to me.

Interview Questions

• There is an array of numbers, containing the integers 1-n, how can you find the sum of the numbers in that array?   3 Answers

Operations Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon in October 2009.

Interview

A series of behavioral questions, such as: tell me about a time a project deadline was moved up and how you handled it; tell me about a time you made a recommendation that was not successful. The interviewer did not seem particularly interested in the answers, it seemed like she just called people and asked these questions over and over again all day.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had a project deadline that was moved up and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Engineering Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon in January 2010.

Interview

I met a very nice gentleman from the Kindle team for the first of my interviews for an intern position. The interview was very funny and casual, and he had a Kindle for me to play with. That said, he still made sure to ask me some decent technical questions.

There was a second round that consisted only of a personality interview and reasons why I would want to work at Amazon.

Interview Questions

I am not a big fan of Seattle (or moving to Seattle) and Amazon as a product doesn't get me as excited as some others.

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in March 2010.

Interview

Got my resume in through a referral. Received a call for phone interview after a long time. I had two 45 min phone interview with a lot of OO concept questions. In both the interviews i was asked 2 design problems and 2 coding problems. One of the interviewers asked me to solve a homework problem and mail it to him.
    Few of the questions I was asked:
    2) Given a string, write a program to check if it is a palindrome.
    3) Design a parking garage
    4) design a deck of cards

Overall the experience was good. The interviewers are nice and make you comfortable.
    I am still awaiting their decision.

Interview Questions

• 1) Given an array of numbers where each number has a duplicate except one, write a program to return the lone number.   4 Answers
    • 2) Given a string, write a program to check if it is a palindrome.   Answer Question
    • 3) Design a parking garage
      4) design a deck of cards   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon in October 2009.

Interview

very technical interview that lasted 90 minutes, after a few soft skills questions, they go right to the point and start throwing brain teasers and coding questions at you. some of the questions included array manipulation and database management.
    the interviewers were quite nice and overall a very professional interview

Financial Analyst Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2010.

Interview

4 interviewers at stations, with one "bar-raiser" to ask the difficult questions. Although I thought all interviewers had a similar level of difficulty. Most of the questions were analyical--Amazon is not interested in soft questions about your life, and is not interested in the way you dress for the interview either. The analysis was very scenario-oriented: say Amazon is facing a finance decision; what steps would it take?

Interview Questions

• What sorts of costs does Amazon face as an online seller of goods?   2 Answers

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon in February 2010.

Interview

I applied by dropping off my resume at a career fair at my university. They asked me a few general programming-related questions at the booth (they took notes on the back of the resume). I got an email a few days later inviting me to an interview. It was two hours long and consisted of two 1:1 interviews; one was with a manager and the other with a software engineer. In both I was asked to write code to solve various problems.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It is possible to negotiate time off in the middle of the internship, so long as you complete the required 12 weeks.