Amazon Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Amazon

22,974 Interview Reviews

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2020.

Interview

A recruiter called me to find out if I was interested. A phone screener did a 1 hour interview. The recruiter called and said they'd like to move forward. A scheduler emailed me and scheduled a 2 person interview: A hiring manager interviewed me, then an engineer interviewed me and gave me a "coding test", which was fundamentally flawed. That's why I'm writing this review.

Interview Questions

• Here is an API. Finish the code.   1 Answer

Warehouse Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Obetz, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Obetz, OH) in March 2020.

Interview

Not really an interview, rather a group gathering and a viewing of a presentation. Allowed to ask questions. It was basically just a general overview of each position they are looking for. No managers anyone would be directly reporting to were present.

Warehouse Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Kansas City, KS) in March 2020.

Interview

Smooth laid back and quick! They made it very easy to get in there to complete all that needed to be done to get the job. Looking forward to actually getting started and working there! Super excited

Interview Questions

• It really wasn’t a questioning process as everything was done online prior to actually going to meet in person.   Answer Question

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in March 2020.

Interview

The hiring process is a series of phone interviews, then an in-person (or video). They use a rigid process. Start with 2 tech questions, you review your background, then the behavioral questions. The questions tend to be vague without guidance. Makes answering them more challenging. They want the behavioral questions answered using their STAR methodology.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to make a quick technical decision.   Answer Question
    • Talk about a situation where you made plans that were successful, but you didn't think you'd be able to get done.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in March 2020.

Interview

I was first contacted by a recruiter.
    After agreeing to apply for the position of software engineer, I was sent a online coding assignment, which I passed.

Then I had 1 interview, focused mainly at leadership principles, past experience, situation handling, etc... This went well, and the interviewer was very friendly and the discussion went did flow nicely.
    During the last 15', we then moved to quick coding exercise. This felt really easy, to the point I was concerned!

Then a second phone interview. This was a system design interview. The interview was a bit harder, with the interviewer asking me to take design decisions with vague requirements. I explained the the pros cons of each choice; maybe that's what he wanted to hear (but it was nit evident from the start).

Then I moved to the 'onsite' via chime due to covid19.

Once again, the 1st interview on the first day strongly focused on leadership skills, work ethic and practices.

The 2nd was a technical interview. I did ask follow up questions, to clarify the ask, and I was developing pseudo-code as I was brainstorming the problem, always thinking out loud. First solution was not correct, so I changed the approach, with a bottom up algorithm. The time did run out before coming up with the final solution. Interviewer was a bit distant.

3rd was system design interview, which went well, with good communication with the interviewer.

Next day, the planned interviews were postponed; my wife gave birth to our son.
    Eventually I did reschedule, with 4th & 5th interviews being leadership and a small coding task.

After 2 days the recruiter called me saying that they thought I was technically weak. They felt I did not ask enough questions, and jumped quickly to implementation, without talking through enough.

Thank god I did not go for an actual onsite; I would have missed my son's birth for nothing. It was a shock for me to hear the result. Given my personal circumstances I thought I did excellent.

Linguist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon in March 2020.

Interview

I apologize in advance: this is going to be a long review. I strive to be as factual, objective and irrefutable as possible. I have had nothing but frustrating, disappointing, appalling experiences with Amazon. Years ago, I was naïve and thought that Amazon was one of the coolest companies in the world, but after so many direct negative experiences, I think it's an atrocious company run by incompetent, oblivious and arrogant individuals and I understand why so many people complain about it. I have had four interviews over the course of the years and the last one of them, just a week ago, was the most outrageous.
    First of all, as a general rule, Amazon wastes your time with several back and forth calls, emails, interviews after interviews after interviews, tests when applicable, then additional tests... and then they put the position on hold. I am not kidding. It has happened to me 3 out of 4 times in a span of a couple of years. I am NOT talking about being rejected, oh no! The positions were put on an indefinite hold after they wasted my time. They act as if they are hiring a neurosurgeon who has to perform the first brain transplant. Pleaaaaze! The whole process is unnecessarily tortuous and unnerving. They want to give you the impression that they are hiring the best people (they even have that line in one of their email addresses, HA!). Not to mention that they do not pay well as you might believe. All the hype is unjustified.
    The last interview, last week, was for a remote role as a linguist. The pay was below what a linguist with a PhD should be making, but I still decided to move forward because I need to work remotely during this Covid-19 pandemic. The recruiters/HR ladies sent me incorrect information for this position. For example, there were parts embedded in the text that belonged to totally different roles. I had to point that out and ask for clarifications. Then, there were contradictions disseminated within the job description, meaning elements that were incompatible and mutually exclusive. Again, I had to ask for clarifications. Then, one tells me that the interview will be over the phone with no camera, the other one says it needs to be with a webcam.
    The worst part was the actual interview. Keep in mind that linguistics is an exceptionally vast and heterogeneous field. There are so many different sub-areas like discourse analysis, forensic linguistics, pragmatics, sociolinguistics... This is a very important element that will help clarify why the interview was a joke.
    The guy I spoke to was underqualified and bitter--I suspect because he did not manage to get a doctoral degree. His hostility was palpable and awkwardly masked by fake friendliness. His inferiority complex was equally tangible. We are talking about a clueless guy who does transcriptions, repetitive, robotic tasks and who knows nothing outside of his narrow niche. The second this guy uttered the very first words, I could immediately pigeonhole him, because of his prosody. He feigned closeness and even tried to use some trite humor. The whole interaction was cringy. At a certain point, he asked me specific technical questions pertaining to phonetics. Except that there was no mention to phonetics in the job description.  So, of course, I couldn't prepare well enough and, like I said above, linguistics is a huge field. What did I do? I raised my concerns to this individual and told him that the job description that was sent to me was wrong, incorrect, inadequate. He pursed his lips and told me that I was right and was sorry about it, but didn't mean anything because he was just trying to placate me.
    Days before the actual interview, I did ask what technical things I should have studied. My emails either went unanswered or I was sent some canned responses full of those corporate buzzwords that Amazon loves so much: "leadership", "invent and simplify." Useless, meaningless words that might impress the novice but that are just used as a smoke screen.

Interview Questions

• Tell me one time you had to use data to make a quick decision.   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Detroit, MI) in March 2020.

Interview

Phone-call interview with 2 different interviewers pulling from the same pool of questions and utilizing the same format: Brief explanation of past work and education followed by 3+ questions regarding situations I've worked through. These were to be answered using the STAR method. After answering these, I was prompted for questions for the interviewer themselves regarding the job role. The second interview began immediately after the first.

Interview Questions

• What was one difficult conversation you had to have with a peer?   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Amazon in March 2020.

Interview

There’s a lot of before hand prep. Then the interview prepare look up amazon leadership principles and use STAR interview method. Then in 5 days they let you know if you have the job or not then if you get it you receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• Where have you had to do something without support of others?   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in March 2020.

Interview

I applied online. It took 2 weeks before I got the interview. I got 2 interviews with two technical persons. nice people and nice conversations! But interview questions are tough.

Solution Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2020.

Interview

Was heavily based on the 14 Amazon Leadership principles. They want to know how you are connected to the leadership principles. And asked about experiences through projects and school related experiences.

Interview Questions

• When is a time you had to take a calculated decision and make the leap?   Answer Question