Amazon Marketing Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 12, 2017

3.5

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in August 2016.

Interview

An employee recommended me for the role and passed my resume along. I had a phone interview with a member of a team vaguely related to the team I was applying to work on.

He wasn't totally clear on the role I was interviewing for and didn't have much direct contact with my team. This interview was more about whether I was a fit for Amazon and would "raise the bar" than my qualifications for the specific job I was applying for.

Interview Questions

• What is the most innovative thing you've ever done?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time you were driving toward a goal and you were more than half-way to the objective when you realized it was not the best goal or could have unintended consequences. What did you do?   1 Answer

Marketing Manager for Amazon Instant Video Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in August 2016.

Interview

I was interviewing for the marketing manager role with the Instant Video team.

First of all the interviewer sent me an interview request addressing me with the interviewer's name. Off to a left foot start!

I went ahead and scheduled the interview. At the time of the interview the recruiting manager S.S. came in to the interview in time but made it clear from the start of the conversation that she is under time pressure and she would like to wrap things up as fast as possible.

The most awkward part of the interview was when she said "we don't need new ideas, we have a lot of that. We just need somebody who is able to put all these together".

After the interview I had not heard from the recruiter in about 14-16 days even though I sent a couple of follow ups. Eventually they told me that they selected somebody else for the job.

I did not get an offer but I am definitely not disappointed for missing on such a "great" opportunity.

Interview Questions

• Present a situation where I had to make a quick decision on something that me and my manager disagreed on.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Several rounds of phone interviews, excel/word document exercises and then finally in person interviews with 6 people. Everyone except the final HR person was really nice. The questions were all pertinent to the position. Everyone asked the same questions - maybe to suss out any liars. I was not happy with the HR person because she insisted on knowing how much I made and I refused to tell her upon which she got combative/threatening with me.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle conflicts/competition with other departments to get on the home page?   Answer Question

Head of Product Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in July 2016.

Interview

HR sets you up to be incredibly intimidated by the interview process and your knowledge of Amazon's leadership principles. It's quite obvious what Amazon's culture is like from correspondence with recruiters—I received a lot of boilerplate replies with typos and incorrect details and they did not honor the blocks of time I laid out for interviews. It's sort of their way or the highway.

Once I made it to the final round, I found that my interviewers were pleasant people. The only thing that's odd is that you don't receive a lot of eye contact, for interviewers have to write down everything you say and ask robotic questions that all begin with "describe a time when..." There's very little room for feeling each other out as potential coworkers. Everything is based on their "data-driven" style.

I left feeling like I wasn't even sure I'd want to work there if I received an offer, since I couldn't get a sense of the people who interviewed me. The whole "you're interviewing them, too" line of thought didn't apply here, since you basically sit in a room for 8 hours and answer about a hundred behavioral questions. There's limited engagement. I suppose they assume that everyone who interviews at Amazon wants to work for Amazon.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to drastically pivot your team's responsibilities   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in June 2016.

Interview

Three phone interviews: HR, hiring manager, another manager. Process was fluid and they were very responsive. My schedule was chaotic, but they were very flexible with the time scheduling, it was the only reason why the interview process was long. Overall, very quick and had no issues.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.

Give me a situation when the team didn't agree with your idea. How did you influence them to see the project through?

Can you describe a time when things didn't go your way and how did you handle it?

Can you share a time when you had to make a quick decision and the impact it had.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Nashville, TN).

Interview

Painful. The recruiter reached out to me and asked my salary needs in order to make the move to Seattle. I told them a large number because I liked living in Atlanta, but to my surprise, she didn't flinch and asked me to do two phone interviews which went very well. A few weeks later I was flown into a regional in-person interview in Nashville. I was put into a cheap hotel a full hour away from the hotel my interview would be at 8am. Once I drive across town, the interviewer comes into the room and mentions that my income request I gave the recruiter weeks ago was too high, and that they never pay people that much. THEN WHY DID YOU WASTE MY TIME? I was never reimbursed for the hotel room. I was pretty pissed off, and my interviewer just laughed and told me that's not an uncommon response to their process.

Interview Questions

• If Jeff told you that you have a million dollars for any project, what would you do?   1 Answer
    • How would you make the kindle more profitable?   1 Answer

Digital Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in June 2016.

Interview

I first submitted my resume and cover letter through the Amazon jobs website. The same day I was e-mailed by a recruiting coordinator offering a 45-minute phone interview. I had the phone interview a couple days later with the woman who would be my manager if I got the job, and she asked me behavioral questions.

3 business days later I received a second e-mail offering a second phone interview, and when asked what to expect, I was told to prepare by going over Amazon's Leadership Principles and preparing examples for each. My second phone interview was conducted by the boss of the woman I had my first interview with. This interview felt significantly more high pressure, and I honestly had the impression that I wasn't doing very well due to the tone of this one vs. the first. To my surprise, there were no questions on Amazon's Leadership Principles as I had expected: I was mostly asked to explain more in-depth some of the experiences listed on my resume and how I felt those items would bring value to the position. This interview only lasted 15 minutes (it was supposed to be 45), so I truly thought I did terrible.

A week or so later I got a call from a recruiter extending me an offer. I was surprised there was no in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were given tough feedback on your work performance, how did you respond?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time you had to solve a problem where requirements were ambiguous, talk me through your process   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in June 2016.

Interview

Couple phone screens then in person. 6 Behavioral Interviews. No Breaks. No time for asking them questions. Was there from 9 am - 2 pm. Some people were fun, most were delusional and self absorbed.

Interview Questions

• Everything around their leadership principles.   1 Answer

Director of Product Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Two telephone screens: Pretty easy if you are prepared. Get questions from the internet and prepare answers prior to call. Remember they need people and have high turnover, so be ready to interview them as well. 2 page written interview, again at this level it's pretty easy, be metrics focused and give detailed answers, any fluff will count against you. Then it's a day of 6 back to back interviews. I found this pretty fun, the people were engaging and I was prepared. Unfortunately, the night before my interview they sent me another job description. It wasn't until the 6th interview that I found out that I was not interviewing for product management, rather it was marketing. # interviewers were very ill-prepared, they had a list of pre-packaged questions, but had not read my resume nor my 2-page written interview, Amazon brags about how important this process is, but when it comes down to it it was a bit of a letdown. Amazon is growing quickly and flexibility is hugely important, be ready for these quick changes. Project yourself as fungible across disciplines... and be very succinct and metrics oriented with your answers.

Interview Questions

• When did you try a new approach that failed? How did you decide to take this approach? What were the other options? How do you know it was a failure? What did you learn?   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (San Francisco, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Started with a phone screen by hiring manager followed by an in person "loop" interview. A loop interview provides the opportunity to meet the different people/roles you will work with on an ongoing basis.
    Overall, it was a great experience. It really allowed me to assess the culture and role.

Interview Questions

• The interviewers have all been coached to ask questions to elicit responses with specific examples.   1 Answer