Amazon Software Development Engineer/Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Software Development Engineer/Intern Interview Questions

3.2

199 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in February 2014.

Interview

-2 back-to-back 45 minute technical phone interviews
-friendly and easygoing interviewers

Interview Questions

• -Write a method that prints out an in order traversal of a binary tree   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2014.

Interview

2 rounds of phone interview. Decision in 2.5 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Implement a stack that supports push, pop and mode(the one from statistics) operation. Gave an O(log n ) push and pop and O(1) mode operation.Another good question was implement atoi function. I assumed it as base 10 but was asked to support from binary to any base numbers(even base 50).   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Buffalo, NY) in February 2014.

Interview

Had applied online on Feb 1st, interviewed on Feb 13th.
    Had two 45 minutes telephone interviews.

I did not get a mail for almost 3 weeks at which point I emailed them asking for status,
    they replied a day later saying they'll get back to me soon and by the end of that day I got an acceptance mail.

Interview Questions

• The questions were straight forward, a linked list question, a string question and an algorithm question, no surprises just standard questions. The first interviewer had me write code in C++, the second one said he did not care very much about syntax.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate because it was an intern position and the compensation was good anyway.

Anonymous Employee in West Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (West Lafayette, IN) in February 2014.

Interview

Applied in university career fair, a week later got an email to schedule on campus interview. Had the interview a couple weeks later, 45 minute interviews back to back with two software engineers.
    Although the email indicates you should study databases, operating systems etc., the majority of the questions are on data structures and algorithms. Lots of linked lists, hash maps, binary trees etc.
    Got acceptence email a week later.

Interview Questions

• There are a lot of questions that can be solved by arrays, sorting can be done in O(nlogn)... but they are looking for more than just correct answers, having an answer with a high time / space complexity won't help you.
      There was a tough question about linked lists with next and arbitrary pointers.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation, standard intern payment

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2014.

Interview

Applied online at Amazon careers website. Received an email invitation for 2 phone interviews back to back.

Phone 1: Some initial theory questions about Java and BSTs. Then asked a question to find all the paths from root to leaf that sum up to a given number.

Phone 2: Detailed discussion related to my projects. Asked few OS related questions. Asked about removing duplicates from an array. Sum of elements of an array equal to a given number with variations.

Interview Questions

• The questions were quite expected. I encourage interviewees to keep their calm and everything will go fine.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Amazon interviews its interns by having two, 45-minute conversations. If both you're interviewers say yes, then you're in. Otherwise, you get a third shot. You need two out of three interviewers to agree in order to hire you.

Interview Questions

• They asked standard data structure questions. For example, search times and design decisions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There isn't much negotiating as an incoming intern. But the offer is very reasonable so I didn't feel the need to negotiate.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon in February 2014.

Interview

Applied online and through university career fair. Two back to back 45-minute interviews were conducted at my school's career fair. Behavioral questions came first, but my first interviewer expressed dissatisfaction with my answers to each question. Technical questions weren't difficult, but I was encouraged to seek a less than ideal solution by my interviewer while trying to figure out the "trick" necessary to solve one problem in linear time.

Interview Questions

• Find the subarray with the largest sum given an unsorted array of positive and negative numbers.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

went through two phone interviews,

Interview Questions

• one question is to find a path in a maze   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I was referred by a friend. I got an email from them a week later asking me to select a date for 2 back to back 45 minutes interview

Interview Questions

• I was asked two questions - how will you know which is the starting point in a circular linked list (write a program) and write a program to return two numbers from a function to the main   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in January 2014.

Interview

2 Hour phone interview. 2 rounds of 45 mins each in those 2 hours. Result after 10 days.

- Merge 2 sorted arrays without having duplicates.
    - Find all the possible permutations of a given string.
    - One simple question on hashmap.
    - Hashing concept in detail.
    - Complexity of all the codes.
    - A few questions based on resume.