Amazon Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 22, 2017

3.3

177 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (San Francisco, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Had a phone screening. Then went for a face to face interview. This position was primarily for the Java development. They treated me very well. There were five rounds of the technical interviews on the same day.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself?   1 Answer
    • Data Structure questions. Write Code based on certain algorithms   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in January 2016.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter for a job event, and an phone interview was scheduled after I showed interest. The on-site was arranged for 4 candidates to do 4 interviews in parallel, some with one interviewer, some with two. Each interview took about 45 minutes, then interviewers were shuffled.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Majority of questions were behavioral, like "Tell me when you increased efficiency of the system", "Tell me when you took an unpopular decision and how you convinced others", "Give me an example of when you solved a complex problem with a simple solution", "What was your most challenging project". Surprisingly, some questions were repeated by different interviewers. The rest were technical questions.

Interview Questions

• a. Design an algorithm to find K biggest numbers in the array.
      b. Design an algorithm to find a shortest path between two given words of same lengths so that every word differs from preceding and succeeding word in the path by exactly one character.
      c. Design a system that processes events in real time.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in October 2015.

Interview

I first received a call from a hiring person from the company. He had several questions mostly regarding my LinkedIn profile. I had a technical interview next over the phone. Next I had an interview with a company recruiter. Finally the in person interview was a half day. Had a chance to meet the team and every interview allowed plenty of time for questions. Questions where tough but to be expected. Be prepared to whiteboard!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (San Francisco, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

The entire process toke 1.5 month, but it mainly because of the coordinator the recruiter had been working with left the company. The experience of the phone screen was not that great, I have never been able to have a good experience to have the interview with a guy who is not a developer but trying to ask technical question, because some of the time they ask nonsense questions and when you are trying to tell them that the question should be asked in a different way, they lost his temper.

BTW, I think the worst thing the interviewer did was when I got the code exercise question, I was able to explain my idea before writing the code, he stopped me right away saying do not talk to him unless I have any question about the code exercise, I think this kind of behavior somehow makes me think he is not the right person I should work with or work for.

Interview Questions

• Coding exercise:

Input in a file. >4GB
      10, 20, 30 , 10, 55, 20, 66, 77, 55, 88, 55...... 4GB

output format:
      10 - 2 times
      20 - 2 times
      55 - 3 times   1 Answer
    • What is the O(n) of the implementation I gave in the code exercise?   3 Answers
    • What is the most challenge project you have worked on.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Boston, MA) in August 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter who invited me to apply for a position at Amazon. I took an on-line coding test and did well enough to be invited to have a face-to-face interview with three developers and a manager. For each, I was asked several "situational" questions and asked to code a solution to a problem.

Interview Questions

• Describe one time in your career when you wanted to do something better than you were asked/required to do.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

I got contacted by an Amazon recruiter via linked in and replied back. After an informational screen, I've got scheduled for a coding exercise.

Logistics of the coding exercise might vary by Amazon sub-org, or perhaps, candidate seniority level. I got 60 minutes to complete and submit a working solution to a moderately challenging algorithm/design problem. All interactions with the recruiting coordinator are handled via email: you get an email with several attachments describing the problem, and you are sending back a complete solution as an attachment in a reply.

In about a week after I got an invite to a full round of onsites (very packed 9am -4:45pm). I had a team of senior, principle and director level engineers and managers on my interview loop, and the interviews were dominated by behavioral questions ("tell me about the time when...") with few moderately challenging technical questions added here and there. I did not expect to spend so little time on design/algorithms/coding portion of the interview to be honest. In a week or so I got a call from the recruiter telling me I aced the technical portion, but failed the behavior part without additional details. My guess I failed to showcase sufficient leadership skills and/or confidence required for the position, but who knows.

I really enjoyed my interview experience with Amazon. My recruiter was extremely responsive, supportive and very courteous. I've enjoyed interacting with all of my interviewers as well.

Interview Questions

• Can't discuss specific questions due to NDA. I'd recommend practicing answering behavior questions, and brushing up on basics (graphs, trees, OO design).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Houston, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

technical phone interview. The interviewer had couple of programming questions which required coding on a online website. The browser based tool was terrible because you are basically coding on a textpad from scratch. If you are used to using IDE, you will have some difficulties. Debugging the code is nightmare since you cannot put any breakpoints to test your code.

Interview Questions

• Work experiences, linked list, double linked list, binary search tree. Big O   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Austin, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

I had a call with a recruiter and she told me about the position and the company. A few weeks later I had a technical phone screen. The interviewer was on a speaker phone so it was very hard to hear him. He asked three technical questions and we used an a collaborative coding site so he could type a problem and I could write code for him to review. The questions were the ridiculous problems that you never encounter as a software engineer because somebody else has written a library to do them. I asked the interviewer a few questions about the position and it was different than what the recruiter described.

A few days later they emailed me and asked me to do another phone interview but I declined as I decided to stay in my current position.

Interview Questions

• Write code that will return the nth digit of the Fibonacci sequence.   1 Answer
    • Write code that will take a string of numbers (12,345) and return the spoken word version of the number (twelve thousand three hundred forty five).   Answer Question
    • Write code that will validate a binary search tree.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process was geared toward making me feel comfortable. First the interviewers would talk a bit about themselves and what they do at Amazon, followed by very open-ended questions about myself. After the initial open-ended questions, the interviewer would get into more specific topics and/or coding questions. The coding questions required writing close to syntactically correct code on a whiteboard, but the interviewers were OK with a bit of handwaving. The interviewers were also helpful in identifying issues with my solution in a way that kept my comfort level and confidence high. Overall it was a very positive experience.