Amazon Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 18, 2017

3.1

907 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

There were 3 rounds: first round was multiple choice reasoning test (~30mins) along with 7 debugging questions (21mins given). Second round was 2 programming questions. Third was phone interview over an online editor. The first test is autograded so you know pretty quickly if you've advanced. I didn't like how I asked to reschedule my interview and was ignored. I also did not like how Amazon doesn't consider culture fit, meaning they hire almost solely on technical ability rather than being a good team member/person to work with. I'm glad I'm going to be working at one of their subsidiaries with a more employee-friendly culture.

Interview Questions

• Standard programming problems, practice cracking the coding interview   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online via a relatively slick form. I was not asked for recommendation letters. I was emailed a week later to complete a online test, which composed of a debugging test for several 20ish line functions, and a logic test which is your standard logical ability portion of an IQ test, i.e. pattern recognition, spacial logic, etc. A week later, they emailed me again, saying that I passed, and I was asked to take a 70 minute coding test. This was quite easy, and I finished in half the time limit. A week later I got an offer. Not once did I talk with a real person.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in January 2017.

Interview

I first had to do an online assessment, which consisted of debugging and some weird logic questions. After passing that, I had to do a second online assessment, which consisted of a few coding questions. I then had an hour long phone interview with an Amazon engineer.

Interview Questions

• Questions about hashtables, graph search, and stacks.   3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

In addition to the regular Amazon page, the listing was posted on Facebook. I applied via email with a resume only and was interviewed over Skype by the 2 coordinators who would be my primary supervisors. I sent a thank you note and was hired a day or two after.

Interview Questions

• If you encounter a new problem or process you're unfamiliar with, how do you handle it?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Madison, WI) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online, heard back in a few days about an "expedited interview" (below)
    Online/on-campus assessment: 7/7 debug, passed all cases for both problems, probably good scores on logic problems
    Offer in 8 days
    Awaiting team placement now

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

Instructional call with talent acquisition about the process and question types. Easy setup up of interview times and quick responses. Interview with hiring manager next, few behavioral questions asking to tell a time when you did x, y, or, z

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

After applying early September, I received an online assessment two months later to do the generic code debug / reasoning assessment. Two days later, I received a second online assessment to do a 70 minute, 2 question coding challenge. You should be fine if you're solid on your data structures / algorithms. I had a special situation where I had a pending offer deadline from another company, so I attended an Amazon tech talk held on my campus (which I thoroughly enjoyed!) and asked one of the engineers there about my situation. They very quickly expedited my application and had a 45-minute phone interview set up a couple of days later with the same software engineer I spoke to in the tech talk. The engineer asked me one behavioral question and two coding questions. Again, if you have a solid understanding of data structures / algorithms you should be okay, but more importantly you should talk it out and explain what exactly you're coding. I got the offer the next day (the deadline from the other company was the day after I got my offer). Overall, I had a pleasant experience with the interview process and I learned a lot from the phone interview about how to improve as a software engineer.

Interview Questions

• Didn't sign NDA, but I would rather not disclose the coding questions they asked me. I would just say to practice CTCI / Leetcode / etc.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

I took two online assessments (the first one was just timed, the second was proctored online). The first test was super simple bug fixes and a couple programming problems. The second test had a workplace simulation and more programming problems. Then I was flown out to Seattle for a group interview.

Interview Questions

• Signed an NDA. Just know your sorting algorithms, out to use Hash Maps and how to analyze Big O. Also think about scalability.   4 Answers

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon in December 2016.

Interview

2 online assessments, then phone interview. The 2 online assessments were the standard assessments given to all intern applicants: 7 debug questions + logical reasoning questions. The second assessment was 2 coding questions. Phone interview was similar in nature to the 2nd assessment, but with an Amazon engineer.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY).

Interview

Much needed work, fast paced questions and answers. Lots of hiring so the environment was not as controlled as I had hoped. Amazon HR has a lot on their hands.