Amazon Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Intern Interview Questions

Updated May 27, 2017

3.1

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Madison, WI) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online, heard back in a few days about an "expedited interview" (below)
    Online/on-campus assessment: 7/7 debug, passed all cases for both problems, probably good scores on logic problems
    Offer in 8 days
    Awaiting team placement now

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

Instructional call with talent acquisition about the process and question types. Easy setup up of interview times and quick responses. Interview with hiring manager next, few behavioral questions asking to tell a time when you did x, y, or, z

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

After applying early September, I received an online assessment two months later to do the generic code debug / reasoning assessment. Two days later, I received a second online assessment to do a 70 minute, 2 question coding challenge. You should be fine if you're solid on your data structures / algorithms. I had a special situation where I had a pending offer deadline from another company, so I attended an Amazon tech talk held on my campus (which I thoroughly enjoyed!) and asked one of the engineers there about my situation. They very quickly expedited my application and had a 45-minute phone interview set up a couple of days later with the same software engineer I spoke to in the tech talk. The engineer asked me one behavioral question and two coding questions. Again, if you have a solid understanding of data structures / algorithms you should be okay, but more importantly you should talk it out and explain what exactly you're coding. I got the offer the next day (the deadline from the other company was the day after I got my offer). Overall, I had a pleasant experience with the interview process and I learned a lot from the phone interview about how to improve as a software engineer.

Interview Questions

• Didn't sign NDA, but I would rather not disclose the coding questions they asked me. I would just say to practice CTCI / Leetcode / etc.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

I took two online assessments (the first one was just timed, the second was proctored online). The first test was super simple bug fixes and a couple programming problems. The second test had a workplace simulation and more programming problems. Then I was flown out to Seattle for a group interview.

Interview Questions

• Signed an NDA. Just know your sorting algorithms, out to use Hash Maps and how to analyze Big O. Also think about scalability.   4 Answers

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon in December 2016.

Interview

2 online assessments, then phone interview. The 2 online assessments were the standard assessments given to all intern applicants: 7 debug questions + logical reasoning questions. The second assessment was 2 coding questions. Phone interview was similar in nature to the 2nd assessment, but with an Amazon engineer.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY).

Interview

Much needed work, fast paced questions and answers. Lots of hiring so the environment was not as controlled as I had hoped. Amazon HR has a lot on their hands.

Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Applied, was sent a link to a coding challenge to debug code. Got a phone interview that lasted 45minutes. Pretty similar to other phone interviews (time complexities). Starts with one question and then they alter it a bit and you change your code accordingly. Couple weeks later got an email with the results.

Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

I applied with the general application online for a summer internship in 2017. Shortly after, I was notified by a recruiter that they were hosting an on-site hiring event, which would consist of several interviews. They requested that I send in my resume again, which was already submitted with the online application, and they would provide the next steps regarding a coding challenge and flight details. I proceeded to send in my resume as requested, although they should already have my information. However, with the event date drawing closer, the recruiter responded quite late about a week later stating that I was not fit for the event, a confusing statement since they already had my resume before initially reaching out to me. I asked what might have changed, but the recruiter never responded.

A few weeks after, a different recruiter reached out to me stating that they were hosting another hiring event for full time employees. I was very confused because I had clearly submitted an application for a summer internship as I am still in my third year of undergraduate school. I responded to this recruiter stating that I am a third year and asking if I could be put in contact with someone regarding a summer internship, but she as well never responded to me.

Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

I applied on a college campus. A few weeks later I got an email inviting me on-campus to interview for a full-time position that was meant for someone post-grad with at least 2 years of experience. So that was bizarre. Then I got an email telling me that I needed to take their online assessment that they had sent me before it expired, but they had never sent me the assessment invitation in the first place. After I pointed this out, they did send me the assessment email (2 of them for some reason). I took the online test and a day later got a rejection email. Then two days later I got an email congratulating me on moving on to their phone interview round, which they claimed is their final round.

My phone interviewer could not have been more unprofessional; I don't think he'd ever interviewed someone before. He basically told me he was an intern, kept interrupting me, forgot things I would tell him within minutes, and his questions were ridiculously unclear. I've had many technical interviews, but this guy couldn't articulate his thoughts to save his life. He asked me if I had experience in one area, I told him no, and he then proceeded to ask me several detailed questions about that area. He gave me a tone of 'wow, you're dumb' when I told him I didn't know the answer to one of those questions.

Their online editor was also glitching out a lot when I was using it, so that made it incredibly difficult to code on it. The interviewer didn't at all seem concerned that the editor was flashing blue bars on random lines of code and deleting certain lines at will. The whole process was unorganized, unpleasant, and convinced me that I never want to work for amazon.

Interview Questions

• I was asked one question about my resume, even though the interviewer told me we were going to 'review' it together.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY).

Interview

Completed an online test. phone interview scheduled. the interviewer did not seem interested. Question about printing result of a cd command eg which directory it is in could contain ./..

Interview Questions

See What Amazon Employees Are Saying

Star Star Star Star Star   Current Technical Trainer in Seattle, WA

Pros: “No two days at Amazon have been the same for me. Even when working on the same types of tasks, I've seen, learned, and done new and interesting work. My management has always been...”“No two days at Amazon have been the same for me. Even when working on the same types of tasks, I've seen, learned, and done new and interesting work. My management has always been customer focused. It's more than talk, they walk the talk. The company is huge but there are always opportunities to do and learn new things. My team is very helpful when I am stuck and answers questions without being judgmental. An excellent health insurance plan. I think I am compensated well. Though, other companies seem to have perks we don't. I feel like I am making a difference in the world while, at the same time, making money. It's less of selling stuff and more of helping other people have the tools they need to improve their lives and livelihoods.” – Full Review