Amazon Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.4

2,934 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in July 2017.

Interview

3 rounds of phone interviews before doing one day of interviews at the Seattle HQ. The phone interviews were good and very pertinent to the job. The interviews at the HQ were eight 45 mins sessions. 4 were phone interviews to include my potential boss. the rest were 2 persons and me. these interviews were less technical and more about culture and personality. It was sad to do a job interview where i wouldn't even meet my boss and the culture was not a fit for me. It is not a traditional environment and they couldn't explain the business plan or structure. It is the jeans, t-shirts, and backpack culture as advertised.

Interview Questions

• How would you launch a project without executive support and get support from other teams and resources allocated?   1 Answer

Senior Vendor Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in July 2017.

Interview

A recruiter reached out for a Senior Category Manager role. I interviewed with recruiter about my current role then went to another recruiter who explained compensation at Amazon. Spoke with a Manager of Vendor management.

The interviewer thought I'd be better suited for an SVM role, I explained I wanted to own a P&L, and he said that Category Managers do not own P&L's. (interesting because the JD clearly stated P&L management.) I then went on for a second round of phone interview with a VP. Basic high level questions on role, behavioral questions and some case based questions. Amazon leadership principle do I agree with the most?

So far I've been connect with two different recruiters for 4 different roles. They've set up a travel date for on site but to to this day they do not have a role set for me. The travel date is in 2 days! It really feels like they view potential employees as am interchangeable widget that can be put anywhere.

I'm stopping the process with them. If interviewing is this chaotic, then what it be like working for them? The first interaction you have with the company should be indicative of it's culture. Recruiters really dropped the ball on this one or this is how things are done at Amazon.

Interview Questions

• How you would you decide on choosing a vendor?   Answer Question
    • You have 6 tasks. Tell me how you would prioritize them and why?   Answer Question
    • Amazon has a vendor that's seeing a lot of topline growth but this one is unprofitable. what are some reasons why? What information would you seek out to confirm? How would you negotiate with them to increase profitability?   Answer Question

Campaign Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

I first had a phone interview with HR that lasted between 15-20 minutes and then after than proceeded to have two 45 minute phone interviews with different members of the team. Heavily focused on behavioral questions as well as the Amazon principles.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you failed professionally - how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Vendor Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

The interview process was fairly straightforward. A HR phone screening, a call with a hiring manager, a call with someone who may work indirectly with you, and then an in person interview. The in person interview was challenging as it was all day and all situational questions. They only use the STAR method and base their decisions on how you answer their questions. There is no chance really to describe your day to day work, your accomplishments, or to really let your personality shine. Somewhat robotic interview, which was daunting.

The biggest challenge is once rejected you get ZERO feedback and cannot apply for other jobs for 6 months. They sell you on three options; "you're a fit for the company," "you're a fit for the company and the role," "you're not a fit at all, good luck." It's unfortunate especially when a company this size is trying to hire every Tom, Rick, or Harry that walks in the door aka 100k people before the end of 2017.

Interview Questions

• What additional services would you add to our Prime services?   Answer Question
    • What is your greatest accomplishment?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you solved a problem but your manager disagreed with the approach?   Answer Question
    • How do you manage conflict?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you used data to increase profitability?   Answer Question
    • Standard case study questions: You are buying 'xyz' product at 'abc' discount, the quantity is 'qrx', at 'mono' price, would you buy this product?   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Phone screening: Did not have math flow questions or any other standard questions? Was told I was a great fit for the team and I would receive an email on information to set up my face to face interview with-in 24-48 hours. But nothing heard!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself   2 Answers
    • Tell me what you do in your off time and about your family   2 Answers
    • How would I deal with a Area Manager that's older and more experienced and not responding to my request?   1 Answer

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

An initial phone screening with the recruiter, followed by a phone interview and in-person interviews. Half-way through the in-person interview I was informed that the position was changed from a Marketing Manager to "Marketing Specialist." Not only did the title change, but the role itself was much more junior. The recruiter later informed me that although the team thought I exemplified all of the Amazon Leadership Principles, they thought I was over-qualified for the Marketing "Specialist" role. Moving forward, I encourage the Amazon recruiters to keep the candidate informed if the position changes. I was very disappointed in the lack of communication and felt blind sighted.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me about a time you disagreed with your manager and how you handled the situation.   Answer Question
    • Can you tell me about a situation when you were managing two competing priorities?   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ventura, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Ventura, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied online and waited several months for an reply. Overall pleasant experience. Flew me out to interview and was treated nicely. The interviewers were very nice and helped create a positive experience. They focus a lot on the STAR method and like to hear numbers. Overall interview time was a little less than 2 hours.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Had a couple of phone interviews followed by an on-site interview. The communication from recruiter was not always on time. No feedback after the on site just a reject after two weeks.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

Went through a total of 10 interviews with managers and recruiters. During the interview process Amazon recruiters advise that there is a potential for the interviewing managers not to show as they are "very busy". Two interviews of the 10 resulted in one no show and one 20 minutes late. 1) this should give you and indication where their priorities are at..certainly not with the employees or candidates 2) an effective interview process of 2-3 persons should be the max needed to make an assessment of a candidate. As Amazon is hiring thousands of people it is stretching their teams to conduct so many interviews of a single candidate.

Again due to the growth, turn over is very high for personnel moving interdepartmentally or choosing to leave the company. Managers don't know from one day to the next who will still be in their department.
    Ultimately did not choose to go with Amazon due to the above.

The interview process was 90% one sided with interviewers asking behavioral and situational based questions. Very little time left for a candidate to - likewise - assess if Amazon or the job is a fit for them. A more balanced approach may allow candidates to assess the environment, role and culture which is essential to take into consideration with Amazon.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared to use the STAR method to answer questions about successes, failures (learnings).   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Washington, DC) in June 2017.

Interview

The interview process was a bit lengthy and actually off-putting. I wasn't sure I wanted to go through with it. First, a recruiter contacted me. She told me they liked my application and wanted to set up a phone interview. She asked for good days/times and the best phone number. I provided all of that (and I provided the correct number). She replied and said that info would be forwarded to the NEXT recruiter who would contact me...

Several days later a second recruiter did contact me. She gave me the name of the person who would be interviewing me by phone. She provided a date and time...and she quoted back to me the wrong number. I replied, telling her that was the wrong number...but she didn't respond.

So, I waited a couple of days (I had about four days before the interview would take place). I replied to the second recruiter again, and then emailed the first recruiter. No responses, but on the correct day and time, I was called by the interviewer.

That person said the recruiter would be back in contact, because she was interested in having me interview with her boss.

I waited. And I waited.

Then maybe ten days later I received an odd email from a THIRD recruiter, saying there was a problem with my phone number...she had tried to call me. I explained that it wasn't my phone number...it was whoever had relayed it...I gave her the correct number.

Then, the next day I started receiving texts about the next interview. Very hurried, as in, 'Can we speak now?' At that point, it was 6 PM my time and I was on the way out the door to walk my dogs. I had to reply (to someone I didn't know...) that I was unavailable. She countered with the next morning.

The next morning she called, and it turned out to be the person I was supposed to interview with, the head of the dept.

We spoke briefly and she said they'd like me to fly to DC for an in-person interview...and that a recruiter would be in touch.

Nearly two weeks later a recruiter finally got in touch, asking me for dates I'd be available.

They scheduled me for another two weeks later...the recruiter told me a 'Lead' recruiter would get in touch, to tell me all about what to expect in the interview process. She scheduled a time for that. He never called. Rescheduled. He never called.

Finally got to DC. Terrible hiccups on the credit card/expense reports (still haven't been paid for all my expenses)...

The interview process was nearly all day. You spend about 45 minutes with each person, even have a 'lunch buddy' that takes you to lunch...they take notes the whole time on a laptop (can be a little odd...)...

Didn't hear back for nearly four weeks. I finally contacted my recruiter, who pawned me off on someone else, and he sent me a form letter, saying they were sorry...etc, etc.

Did not get the job.

Interview Questions

• The ask you to exemplify all the Amazon Principles, so make sure you know these...   1 Answer