Amazon Senior Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 19, 2017

3.4

708 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Amazon (Atlanta, GA) in April 2017.

Interview

Very condescending hiring staff, recruiter was great. Seems like amazon hires lots of second tier talent, very poor interview experience. Set up as a series of star interviews and writing sample, not very flatering for senior level positions the way they are done and will surely push away the best talent , but that may be the point.

Interview Questions

• Everyone asked the same question about a time you failed or had to make a call without data, then took notes, not conversational. They are trying to adopt star method but unlike consulting companies who are great at star interviews, amazon has a long way to go and too much of their culture and true colors shines through.   1 Answer

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

1. Email from recruiter with 10 questions to complete (including salary details, which I did not provide)

2. Phone screen with recruiter (10 min); the quality of this call was so poor, and the background noise was so loud, that I actually thought I was on the phone with a call center; I didn't realize this person was the primary recruiter for the role.

3. Phone screen with hiring manager (45 min); hiring manager was mostly selling me on the role, then asked a bit about my background/experience. Role requirements seemed fluid - I was unsure on whether or not I was interested, but the hiring manager said they would build a role around the right person. (In retrospect, this should have been a flag.)

4. In person interview; 6 separate one-on-one 30-45 minute conversations. The interview was all over the place. Some interviewers shared what leadership principles they were screening on; others did not. I got asked several questions repeatedly, which became increasingly boring as the day went on. Questions were not hard, but they weren't very interesting either. Day-of recruiting coordinator was lovely at making sure I felt comfortable and was fed/watered; people asked if I needed a restroom break. Overall people ended up describing the role differently than the hiring manager, which raised some flags about leadership / team communication. I ended the day much less enthusiastic about the role, with a number of concerns. Stopped putting much effort into the interview mid-way through when I realized the role wasn't a fit and I wasn't interested in trying to find other opportunities at the company.

5. Received a "ding" two days after the interview, by phone. I told the recruiter that I had found the experience disappointing and that a number of flags were raised; he did not ask any follow-up questions and was not interested in hearing any feedback, which seemed like a missed opportunity for Amazon.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you used out of the box thinking to have a big impact at a company.   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time you received really hard, challenging feedback. (Was asked this THREE times.)   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied blindly online on the company website. After waiting 2 weeks with no response, reached out to a friend who worked at Amazon. Within 30 minutes of that, a recruiter reached out and asked to arrange a phone interview.

The recruiter had to reschedule the initial phone interview 30 minutes before it was supposed to happen. After that round there was a phone interview with the hiring manager 1 week later. It then took 1.5 weeks to arrange the onsite interview, which was scheduled for 3 weeks later!

Onsite interview was about 6 hours of back-to-back interviews - all the same sort of questions. Only 1/2 of the interviewers worked on the same team as the role and the ones that didn't didn't know anything about the work that they were hiring for.

Be prepared - when interviewing for a PM role, there won't be any questions about being a PM or how much you know about the role. Just make sure you have 14 STAR stories ready which align with the leadership principles. That's all they care about.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time.... (14 of these)   3 Answers

Senior Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Recruiter approached me via LinkedIn. First level of screening is phone interview for an hour. Final screening had a writing exercise and 5 rounds of in-person interview with panelists at Amazon office.
    Tip is to have many different impactful examples for the same scenario as it can be asked multiple times.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioral and scenario based questions like
      1. Toughest situation you have faced and how did you overcome?
      2. When did u disagree with the entire team and why?
      3. How did you manage when a project deadline was missed?
      4. Most innovative idea / value add provided.
      5. How many teams you have coordinated with in a project? Challenges?
      6.Why Amazon?   1 Answer
    • Final rounds were technical and design questions like
      1. Design a payment system.
      2. How will you display the last searched items and related items to a user.   Answer Question
    • ..   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon in April 2017.

Interview

Email from 2 different recruiters with no phone number. Lots of drama just to schedule a phone screen. Then got a call from the hiring manager who did not seem to care by asking me very entry level behavior questions, lots of tell me a time questions with a lot of interruption. I felt like they were testing my ability to tolerate drama. After the call I decided I am no longer interested and thanked thed hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how you know there is a business problem. Tell me a time you were innovative.   1 Answer

Senior Technical Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Talked with a Recruiter via phone, a team member phone interview, a peer team (customer) phone interview, and finally offered an in person interview in Seattle. It took a very long time, usually between each interview a week would go by or more. From initial screen to in office interview it was 10 weeks total. As many have said it's all about their management principles. Apply those to your standard behavioral questions and add data to any achievements and you are talking the right way. I also had to do an essay assignment prior to the onsite interview, it was against two questions and fairly open ended but did take some time to build this out.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you failed   Answer Question
    • Tell me about one of your greatest success stories in your professional work   Answer Question
    • Something you would change in your current job   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to balance a challenging business groups needs your IT groups needs?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time your team developed a feature that was perfect but couldn't be implemented that way and a compromise had to be made?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had a feature you saw that you could scale beyond it's current use case?   Answer Question
    • Write about a judgement call you had to make that couldn't be analyzed.   Answer Question
    • Write about the most innovative thing you've done.   Answer Question

ACE Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

There are 5 - 6 phone screening interviews before an in-person loop which will last 4-6 hours, phone screens are done by recruiters then the hiring manager and their team (peer review)

Interview Questions

• Standard Interview and behavioral questions "tell me about a time when' etc., "what is your experience doing x,y,z," etc. Unfortunately interviewers were late, distracted, not engaged well with candidate.   2 Answers

Senior Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

One phone interview around both technical and project management. On-site consisted of 5 rounds of technical and program/project management. Some focused heavily on technical but no coding questions. It was more around architecture, best practices, toughest challenge resolved technically.

Interview Questions

• Situational requirements gathering. Was asked around statistical models such normal distribution etc.   1 Answer

Senior Product Manager Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Terrible experience - my emails and phone calls were left unanswered and was eventually ghosted after being given a verbal offer. Ended up giving up due to frustration with the recruiter

Interview Questions

Never ended up getting anything in writing

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

Despite being a referral the process was really slow and stretched out over 6 weeks. They took time to schedule my final rounds and the recruiter was very un co-operative.

Interview Questions

• For any PM interview, they focus on leadership principles and some cases that are specific to the team that is interviewing you. I can understand their focus on leadership principles, but 5 people asking you examples of same situation is not the most efficient way to test a candidate. There are only so many examples of a specific situation that you can relate to from your past experience. What I dislike about their interview process is the way interviewers force you to come up with more stories for the same leadership principle. I expressed my concern with this and I guess this is why they didnt move forward.   3 Answers