Amazon Interview Questions | Glassdoor

13,920 Interview Reviews

3.1

Warehouse Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Amazon (Chattanooga, TN) in August 2017.

Interview

Lots of emails back and forth but actually the interview is easy and laid back. But just a back ground check and drug test. Very s8 forward process but very timely fashion and matter.

Client Services Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (San Diego, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Phone interviews x2, in person. Recruiter performed the phone screening interviews, mostly about basic experience and capabilities. Asked a few questions about desired salary range, prior salary history. Was light on details when pressed for salary range for this position.

Interview Questions

• Basic interview questions from the recruiter. Nothing memorable   Answer Question

Cloud Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon in August 2017.

Interview

Recruiter gave me test via email for position A
    Recruiter co-ordinator gave me interview for position A(location :X,Y,Z)
    tekephonic interviewer asked me qestions about strongest point and experiance, here is the twist skiped the all my strenth and asked all the questions about rest. Interviewer actually interviewed me for A (Location V). Later found out the there are multiple position with same name but different requirement .
    Tried to reach recruiter for few days on phone no reply , Recived rejection after 2 weeks for which I was prepered. cant apply for 6 months.
    Did not expected from Cutomer centric Amazon

Interview Questions

• Asked are you in front of the system?   1 Answer

Fresh Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Avenel, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Avenel, NJ) in August 2017.

Interview

It was a group hiring event where we all participated in filling out forms, taking a mouth swab drug test, and listening to the managers explain what the job consist of. They also reviewed our company benefits and what will be required from us.

Interview Questions

• They never asked any questions?   1 Answer

Fulfillment Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edwardsville, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Edwardsville, IL) in August 2017.

Interview

This was a group "interview". You walk in, get signed up if everything is complete and you have your 2 forms of ID, and watch a PowerPoint. After that you pick what schedule you would like and go get a picture taken for your badge. You then move on to the I-9 portion through them and a drug screen (mouth swab). Congratulations if you pass!

Sortation Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Saint Louis, MO) in August 2017.

Interview

It was a mass "interview." Basically they call you all into a room and go over a bunch of stuff, have you take a mouth swab drug test and that's it. If you pass the drug test and background check then you have a job. It took exactly a week to get back word that I'd passed both. It's been another week today and I'm still awaiting my "pending start date" so I can schedule my orientation. Hopefully they don't take too much longer.

Interview Questions

• Have you been convicted of a crime in the past seven years.   1 Answer
    • Are you available to work evenings.   1 Answer

Senior Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in August 2017.

Interview

An Amazon recruiter reached out to me initially in early July 2017, took around two and a half weeks to schedule a phone interview (consolidated rounds 1+2 into a single phone interview). then my on-site interview in Seattle was scheduled a little over two weeks after the phone interview, which was considered "expedited scheduling" because I had other competitive offers outside of Amazon in play.

The phone interview: Mixture of technical questions and scenario-based questions of "please share a time when...", which were all in accordance with Amazon's leadership principles. The one interviewer on the phone call was a Solutions Architect who has been with AWS for 4+ years and the other was the hiring manager, both impressed me with their background, were kind, and well-spoken. The Solutions Architect started with about half hour of technical discussions, then the hiring manager came on and asked scenario-based questions. A couple days after the phone interview, I reached out to the Amazon recruiting coordinator with a quick thank you note about the interview and she let me know they would be moving forward with an on-site interview.

Scheduling on-site interview: About four days after I received the news I would be interviewing on-site in Seattle (I'm in the Midwest and the job is located in Midwest), a new recruiting coordinator reached out to me with a questionnaire that included my availability for the final round interview and the logistics for getting to Seattle. The Amazon team was incredibly accommodating and my interview was scheduled within another few days, including travel itinerary.

On-site interview: A few days before the on-site, Amazon schedules a 30 minute prep call with a lead recruiter that allows for any last minute questions to be answered. Arrived on-site in the morning and had a schedule to interview with five members of the AWS team, a one hour lunch, and then a one hour time slot for a presentation in the afternoon.
    The interview format is one-on-one with AWS team members, which in my case were either existing Solutions Architects, the hiring manager, an account manager, and a member of the marketing side. The interviews with the Solutions Architects were technical and also incorporated a lot of "tell me about a time when..." scenarios (study leadership principles and think of examples that naturally pair). The non-technical interviewers were all centered on scenario-based questions "tell me about a time... when you were faced with a difficult problem that you used a simple solution for, when you were given constructive feedback, when a decision made about you at leadership level negatively effected you & how you responded, etc.).
    After my four interviews and lunch, I had a one hour time-slot for presenting a project of my choice, and then one last final one-on-one final interview after that. Everyone I met with was kind and skilled at their craft, I was impressed each time a new person came in the room to interview with me.

Feedback after interview: A full day after my interview, I received news that Amazon wouldn't be moving forward with an offer for the position. The feedback was non-existent and even the slightest insight into their decision-making reasoning remained hidden. Remaining humble with this statement - I prepared for this interview like no other... like a professional athlete peaks for his/her main event of the season, I dedicated and invested my time into showing them I would bring incredible value and experience to the team. I answered 99.5% of technical questions correct, kept the engagement of the interviewers the entire time, gave all sorts of exciting examples to their leadership principle-based questions, asked a diverse array of questions each interview, and knocked the presentation out of the park.

General consensus: While I am humbled to be treated with the opportunity to come on-site and interview, Amazon's decision-making is completely unclear. I had turned down other lucrative job offers just for the chance to see the process through and feel disappointed, not necessarily by the outcome (sometimes things don't work out, I just move along), but rather the lack of clarity along the way. I remain perplexed as to what sort of team members they are looking for if they turn down someone who answers almost every single technical question correctly and has stellar interview performance.

I have made it to 10+ final round interviews (with offers) at leading tech & financial companies - I can definitively say the process with Amazon is the least personable interview process that I have ever been through and the scale of working there may be too grandiose for some, but I want to remain encouraging and wish others in the process of interviewing the best of experiences.

Interview Questions

• Leadership-principle based questions, lots of them.   1 Answer
    • Since this was a specialist Solutions Architect role (security), there was a deep dive into the security space, but also an array of other tech questions. Outside of pre-prepared questions, I was asked to further describe projects I had listed on my resume/highlight list and discuss security/solution decisions at each step of the architecture. Very well-rounded technical discussions, hard to capture everything, but keep in mind this was for a specialist SA role.   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sea Girt, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Sea Girt, NJ) in August 2017.

Interview

Same story as most. I took the on line management test, and was emailed about a month later. They wanted me to come to the local branch for a tour and (3) interviews.

I have 15 + years of management experience, and I can not think of a less organized company to interview with. The first interview was with an HR rep. He was very dismissive of me from the time we shook hands. He just about called me fat. He just rushed over the questions, no eye contact because he was typing answers while I was speaking. I found this the case with all 3 people who I interviewed with. This was just really distracting.
    The second interview was with someone else, who did not really introduce himself. Who was more happy with eating lunch than speaking to me.
    The third was with a woman who talked more about herself than me. Again no eye contact with me.
    They tell you to answer in STAR, but I did not get a chance to, as each of them interrupted me while I was speaking.

If you have not managed over 100 people do not even bother apply for this role. Or just lie, they do not check. I have more experience than the people that have interviewed me. Amazon also preaches much about how diverse they are. If you are a straight, white, male over 40 I would suggest you look elsewhere, because Amazon does not want you. In fear of offending anyone I changed locations and did not interview at the site mentioned above.

Interview Questions

• They like to know that you can think on your feet. If you messed something up, how did you fix it.   Answer Question

Fulfillment Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in East Brunswick, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (East Brunswick, NJ) in August 2017.

Interview

I "applied" online. This consistent primarily of indicating my availability and a multiple choice "personality" test. Almost immediately (like next day) I received a contingent offer - I figure this is automated based on hiring need and the availability I indicated. I was asked to attend a hiring event for the location I had chosen. I applied at Cranbury, Robbinsville, and Florence locations. I was advised not to even bother with Robbinsville because of how the location was managed, but it was nearest to my home. I attended the Cranbury event first. There were hookers at the Days Inn location it was held at (not Amazons fault...I don't think). I sat through the presentation, and asked the woman filling out my docs how applications to multiple locations worked. She advised that I'd need to decide quickly or Amazon would decide for me by withdrawing my app from one and I may not end up with my preferred location. I took my ID pic and was instructed on how to complete the drug screen sample (open the package, don't touch the cotton, the instructor noted the time you put it in your mouth, hold for 10 minutes. Remove the collection stick, place it in the vial, cover the vial with the label, insert vial into bag, close bag and seal with second label.) When I completed it, I went home. Entire process took about 40 minutes.

The following day I had the "Hiring Event" for Robbinsville location held at Integrity Staffing in Trenton. I almost would have preferred the hookers; It was a complete disaster. One completely disinterested receptionist, and a room full of people sitting for over an hour waiting to see the same 8 minute video I had seen the day before.

I noticed a guy standing in at a table completing his drug test. When I looked down at my drug test form the receptionist had already filled out the part that said when I inserted the collection stick! Okay, so thats inaccurate. There was a new test on the table so, using the instructions I had gained yesterday, I completed my own test and sealed the bag. Someone from Integrity eventually walked over, thanked me and told me I would hear back. I stopped her and said um, I haven't gotten my schedule yet! She asked if I had sat through the video yet. I said "Yesterday, but they told me to come back." Not necessarily untrue

*Shrug*

So she walked me passed all those people that had been there for a long time before I arrived and she assigned my schedule. This took longer than the entire process from the day before but I was still in and out faster than all the people that were sitting in there when I arrived. The video was still not playing when I left.

That was friday. On Monday I received my "formal offer," and an email requesting me to confirm my start date - I applied on 8/14, took my drug test 8/17 and the start date they offered was 8/31. Nice. I got another email to review and acknowledge (via Esign) about 15-20 documents including direct deposit and cell phone use (which literally says, leave your phone in your car or at home). The next day I received a second request to complete my I-9 which had been submitted twice already (once in Cranberry, once in Robbinsville). I logged in and completed it. I'm waiting for the New Hire Orientation module (to be completed online and the time spent is included on your first paycheck).

From Application to Start Date would be 17 calendar days.

Interview Questions

• What is your availability? Saturday - Sunday, Days and/or Nights.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in August 2017.

Interview

basic computer science questions and algorithms, you should get ready before the interview and prepared your words on how to answer the questions about your projects and experience, actually it's not very difficult.