Amazon Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

4,107 Interview Reviews

3.2

4,107 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Did very well on all parts of the interview. Completed code and tested. The guy even said he wanted to work with me. They never emailed me and I just saw reviewed, not accepted. I take it they do this a lot

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

I had an interview with their Consumer payment team.

Phone screen > Onsite (6 rounds)

The phone screen was good, the interviewer asked from different area's, starting with some behavioural questions, 2 coding (leetcode medium/easy) and 1 System design.

During onsite i had 6 interviews rounds including lunch. The interview started really well.

1st round was the TPM and he only asked behavioural questions.

2nd round, two engineers (3-4 years experience) came. He started asking some behavioural questions and than followed by the coding question. He was asking the question by looking at GeeksforGeeks website. When i asked him to explain me the question with a different example, he was not able to do so. Why the hell Amazon have such engineers? Do they memorize questions/examples/answers?

3rd round was with one engineer (3-4 years experience). He started asking some behavioural questions and than followed by the system design question. He had no interest in the interview and was just doing something else.

4th round, OOPS design.

5th round, lunch - Good

6th round - Good; Coding + Behavioural questions

Interview Questions

• Leetcode medium + lot of behavioral questions.   2 Answers

Application

Interview

Phone screen and then 4 on-site interviews about 1 hour each. I thought the interviewers were professional and I had a great time interviewing in Seattle. However, the same cannot be said about my recruiter contact. After emailing me I had been accepted for an offer, I was told the offer was not as competitive as my current salary. We discussed all my comp beforehand. Not only that, after I missed one call, I tried to get into contact with my recruiter and she ignored my past two emails. She let me know I missed her call on Apr 20, never heard back since (its June as I write this email).

Interview Questions

• Explain challenges and your response to a project with certain scenarios.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

OA finished in 45 minutes including easy debug questions some math questions and behavior questions. The time is very limited and you have to be quick. Dont waste too much time on the debuging quesitons

Interview Questions

• Basically some easy debug qustions   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY).

Interview

First round was debugging and logical reasoning test. 7 debugging questions in 21 minutes and around 20 logical reasoning in 35 minutes. It was pretty easy.
    Second round too was an online assessment which consisted of a work simulation exercise, in which you would act as a software engineer in the company and provide your input in different situations. The time limit was 2 hrs.
    The next round consisted of 3 coding questions of medium difficulty level. Easy to crack them with good knowledge of data structures. Each question had about 30mins of time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Raleigh, NC) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online via Ineed and had an initial phone screen with the recruiter about my experience, the position, etc. Moved onto the phone interview with a developer which was absolutely awful.

- First two times he tried to call, I heard nothing on the other line. He finally gets through on the third attempt.
    - My interviewer didn't have good communication skills and seemed like he was in a rush to get to other things. He also failed to really describe the position in any real detail.
    - We used an online collaborative code editor which initially went down for a couple of minutes but then came back up. Once it did, the highlighting it had on my cursor gave me a lot of trouble writing code.
    - I worked through his 2 coding questions after about 45 mins. In retrospect, I probably took too long and should have just Googled the answers and parroted them back to him like I'm sure most applicants do.
    - Denied the next week, likely due to point above.

Interview Questions

• Given an arbitrary integer, tell whether or not it is prime.   2 Answers
    • Given a user object (that you define), how would you develop a way to find all of that user's friends' book recommendations?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Denver, CO) in April 2017.

Interview

Amazon began by reaching out to me with a coding test. This first test involved "debugging" code that either wouldn't compile or produced incorrect results. The test also involved a logic test, which was heavily based on pattern-matching (if you've taken an IQ test or online equivalent, you'll have the gist of it). After passing this, they reached out with a 2nd online portion. This involved a "work simulation" in which they presented a desktop environment with simulated email and instant messaging, as well as video simulations of interactions with employees. Generally a "problem" would occur, and you had to rate each solution to the problem based on its efficacy. This 2nd portion also contained an algorithm-based coding test.
    Upon passing this, I was offered to interview on site with 3x45minute sessions.

Interview Questions

• Given an origin (assumed to be 0,0) and a set of points around the origin, return k points in ascending order of distance from the origin.   3 Answers

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon in April 2017.

Interview

I applied online. They sent online assessment through which I got onsite interview. It was full day interview with engineers themselves. Different group but all asked basic coding and behavioral question. They asked basic object oriented, algorithm related ques you can find on online. Same with behavioral stuff.

Application

Interview

Contacted by recruiter on LinkedIn for a specific position within the AWS group. We agreed my experience made me qualified for two teams. Set up a 45-minute technical phone interview with two engineers, one from each team in question. Received email notice from recruiter two hours later that Amazon was not moving forward with my application.

Interview Questions

• Coding question re: algorithms in the language of my choice   1 Answer
    • Please give a two-minute introduction of yourself.   1 Answer
    • Tell us about a time when you took the initiative on a project and assumed leadership of the project. What was the end result of your leadership?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Tempe, AZ) in April 2017.

Interview

There were mutliple parts of the interview that spanned over 1-2 months.

First, I was contacted by one of their recruiters. We talked about the position and if I was interested. Of course, I said yes and we scheduled a time for a over-the-phone technical interview. About a week or so later, I got on the phone call with an engineer. It started out with generic programming questions of a language that you are most comfortable with (to get an idea, just google "top <insert your favoriate language> interview questions" and you should be good). We then did a coding problem. This was done through some website, so she could see what I was typing. It was a basic coding question that just about everyone could get (just do some research on different coding interview questions).

After that, I had another "interview" over the phone with the recruiter. He told me what I would need to study for my next interview. My next interview was on-site in the Tempe, AZ office (most people say they fly you out to Seattle, but this was for the Tempe location). It was 4 hours long (4 interviews with different managers each 1 hour long). They all started with behavior questions (the typical questions you'd expect from any interview, but with a software developer theme) and then ended with a coding or design problem. 2 of the interviews had a coding problem and the other 2 had a design problem. Personally, I thought I did quite well. I answered all their questions and solved all the coding/design problems they gave me. The last interview coding problem was a little tricky, but I barely solved it in time.

A few days later, the recuiter asked to schedule a time to talk. When I talked to him, he gave me the bad news that I didn't get the position and they weren't going to move forward with the interview process. They will keep me in the system and call me in 6 months. He didn't really give me any specific reason why they didn't want me. He said it during the technical part, though I thought I did well in that section.