Amazon Lab126 Interview Questions in Cupertino, CA | Glassdoor

Updated May 22, 2017

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Cupertino, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied online and got the phone interview pretty fast. After about 1 week got the onsite interview. There were 6 rounds of interviews. All related to algorithms. Mostly Easy/Medium on LeetCode.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Cupertino, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I got a phone interview by asking a coding problem which is to find the shortest path of two points in a tree.
    For the onsite interview
    first round Top k problem and implement a heap
    second round design a LFU
    third round copy a linkedlist, copy a linkedlist with random pointer and copy a graph
    forth round implement a queue and joseph problem
    fifth round level traverse a tree by fibonacci order

Don't Matter At This Point Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Cupertino, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

They called me up and wanted me to briefly explain my work history. They then scheduled me for an interview right afterwards. I received an email early the next week with detailed information about my interview orientation. Easy process.

Interview Questions

• Very typical behavioral & result-oriented questions. Prepare yourself to think quickly on your previous endeavors and challenges.

All questions gear towards - What happened? What did you do? What was the result?

Amazon primarily wants to know the [How did you handle the whole situation?] aspect rather than [Why did you not attain the result?]

None of the questions were difficult to answer, just like none of the pitches in baseball are hard to hit. They throw a lot of curve balls at you and occasionally a fast ball now-and-then. Prepare to hit anything that comes at you. Seriously, be mindful of your use of words, tone of voice, gestures, etc.

Overall, I had a great experience with my interviewers, even from the very start of meeting with a friendly team beforehand.
      Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Cupertino, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Had a Phone Interview - Been asked a Simple String problem and a design question.
    Got asked a lot of behavioral questions. Like, Tell me about your project? Why do you want to join Amazon? What was the toughest challenge ? How did you tackle it? What could you have improved in a project that you did?

Senior QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Cupertino, CA).

Interview

Attend the interview almost 3 years ago and was called for an in-house interview after an initial phone screen. Interviewed by 6 people and asked around general questions, how much I know about Amazon Lab126 kindle products. Once the interview is over, I was asked to come back for one more in-house interview for which another 6 people participated in it. Overall, interview is not that hard, but a bit exhaustive.

Interview Questions

• what are 3 things that you are working on, currently to improve youself   Answer Question

Product Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Cupertino, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

2 recruiters contact me via linkedin, and I responded to one of them. Then had a short call with the recruiter via phone, and later he arranged a phone interview with the hiring manager. The phone interview with HM went pretty good, he asked most technical questions and I responded well enough that the HM mentioned they would bring me to a F2F interview ASAP. I went to their Cupertino office for the onsite after a business trip on a Friday, and Lab126 prepared all the hotel and flight booking for me. On-site was a common tech company style, I interviewed 5 or 6 people from different group, each one had about 45 minutes and also had a lunch with the HM. Interview was not hard, they are very interested in how my current employer doing design, and seemed it went pretty well again.
    The HR lady promised that they will make a decision in a week.
    One week later, she called and told me the feedback was very good, I would receive the official offer from email very soon.
    Everything happened until that Friday was pretty professional, though there's a lot bad reviews about Lab126, I was going to ignore them all.
    However, things happened after that date make me have NO desire to associate with this company for ever!

I was waiting to see the offer from the HR lady, however it never comes.... I was having tight communication with her, at the beginning she said the HM was having a emergency trip to China, so the offer would signed when he get back....
    Two weeks later, she told me HM is back, just need a couple of days to finish the offer...
    Another week past, she told me HM signed the offer, now waiting for the Sr. Director to sign....
    One week later, she said they need a little more time ...
    After that, the HR called maybe one or two times and then never heard back from her again. But, I was not expecting to receive it anyway and decided to accept another offer from another company...

After about 5 months of the interview (early 2015 by then), I received a call from the recruiter, he explained to me what happened - it was because Amazon hardware performed so bad in 2014, the top decided to frozen hiring. And, he told me they are planning the head count for 2015, and my position was 1st priority, he wanted to check if I still had interest - I answered I wanted to see the offer first. Interestingly enough, I noticed from his Linkedin profile that he left Amazon just 1 week after the call.... Of course, I never receive any updates since then.

Amazon Lab126 still owes me the travel reimbursement for the onsite, since my recruiter left and the HR lady was not responding, I don't think I will ever get that back....

Overall, Amazon is very unprofessional for hiring process, wasted me a lot of time, not even a company worth to talk to anymore. They are also having notoriously bad culture and bad reputation, I'm glad I did not receive the final piece at the end.

Interview Questions

• development cycle and process....how to perform certain tests...   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Cupertino, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

Questions about your previous job experience. Questions to know your disagreement with the Management on certain design or solution. How did you resolved the disagreement?

Interview Questions

• Log analysis program. Write a java program to find number of occurrences of a keyword in logs. Categorize count of ERROR/INFO, files etc differently.   1 Answer

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Cupertino, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Initial communication was great, all in all a very good experience. Technical phone-screens were all as expected. The interview questions were much more heavily design-focused than algorithms focused, probably due to the nature of the position I was applying to. Most of the soft skill questions were reasonable, but some of them sounded like the interviewers were driving at particular answers they were expecting, and it was difficult to gauge what they looking for. The interview would have been rough back when I was younger, but was quite reasonable for a senior level position. All in all, though, it was as good an experience as one could ask for.

Interview Questions

• One of the interviewers asked me a design question that was very far afield of my expertise, and I winged it as best I could -- after doing my best with that question, I bowed out of further consideration for that, and he gave me a much more general design question that was a bit of a softball, and I asked him some pointed questions regarding Amazon's distributed design ethos. The fact that the initial question was so far afield of my resume makes one question if that is the point, or if   Answer Question

I had more than one offer to consider, and gave notice while debating between the two: my current employer immediately made me a counter-offer I couldn't refuse (significant promotion & raise).

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Cupertino, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Recruiter from Amazon called and arranged a phone screen. Phone screen involved discussion of algorithms and live coding in a shared screen online. Interviewer seemed intelligent. I was not prepared for the level of question over a phone screen and was taken by surprise.

Interview Questions

• Write a function to convert a string into a JSON object   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Cupertino, CA) in December 2013.

Interview

First, a 30-minute interview on the phone with a developer from the team. Went well.

Second, an on-site interview with the developers and managers from two teams working on the same project. All goes well, some algorithm questions, some design questions... I think I hit it off nicely with both managers.

And then, there's the "culture guy".

How well you did during the previous five hours is irrelevant. The culture guy will ask you a "culture question" and then will keep repeating "what if that doesn't work" all the while giving you the unflinching death stare.

What are you supposed to do? Heck if I know. I can merely suggest to not crack a joke during that time. I did. I wasn't seriously thinking what I said. I thought it was bleedingly obvious that I wasn't serious but I think that joke destroy my chance right then and there. Oops!

Oh, but for extra brownie points, think of something Amazon could do better. Something real.

Interview Questions

• The unflinching death stare.   1 Answer