Amazon Lab126 Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 17, 2017

3.2

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Seattle, WA) in January 2016.

Interview

I was contacted via an internal recruiter, Never to turn down a chance to practice my interview skills, of course I said I liked the job. I had one HR screening with some standard questions. Was sent a link to complete online exam.

Interview Questions

• You join Amazon Delivery Experience org that supports a service responsible for vending delivery options across the retail website. The service has a set of hard coded rules in Java and every time that the Product Managers would like to modify those rules, the come to the Developers and ask to change code to implement new rules or changes to the existing ones. To reduce the time it take the Developers to implement changes, your Director asks you to re-design the service such that the Developers don't need to be involved at least when changes are being made to the existing rules. The new system has to remain highly available and salable to support calls from the client services which rely on the output of this service, just like the old system. Assume you have 5 Engineers on a team available to do the work, and your Scrum iterations are a month long.
      1) What Questions would you ask? What other information do you need? State all assumptions you make about answers to these questions
      2) Please describe key components of the system that you would propose, assuming no external solutions can be purchased.
      3) How would the original design change if you were told that traffic to your service is going to grow 50% yr over yr.
      4) Would would you potentially try to deliver in the first Sprint? 2nd Sprint?
      5) Let's suppose that your director would review the estimates of effort and time it would take to deliver the new system, and wasn't pleased with it as it would take 6 months to build. Instead, he would propose to extract the business rules into the configuration file and deploy it to the 5 client services that consume the output.
          a) How would you respond to this request?
          b) Imagine that your team was resisting this approach and only wanted to go froward with the best possible. What would you tell them and how would you reconcile the disagreement between your team's opinion and the director?
      1 Answer

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Seattle, WA) in January 2016.

Interview

The are two rounds of phone interview followed by a full day direct interview by at least 6-8 people.
    The arrangement and followup is very professional and well organized.
    One thing to mention is there are always couple of key interviewers including the hiring manager who will grill you and at time it might go into grey areas - say the interviewer doesn't provide a opportunity to present yourself properly but cross questions and dominates the session fully.

Interview Questions

• Mainly focused on previous work experience & Amazon principles   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

There were 2 telephone interview, both 45 min. The first interviewer Asked a lot of things about my resume very specifically, such as what does this word mean? I fail to answer the question very accurately. Actually I think she only wanted to prove she knows it. The second one is OK. He also asked a lot of things in my resume and asked if I have questions for them.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Seattle, WA).

Interview

The recruiting team didn't care too much about candidate experience. I was contacted by a recruiter via email who asked for my availability to meet with a "team member." After sending my availability, he did not respond to me for a week. I got no response even when I sent a follow up email. A week later, he emailed again to ask about my availability for the following week. I sent him a few dates times and was finally scheduled. The recruiter did not talk to me on the phone prior to the phone interview. I didn't know anything bout the position other than what was posted. He also did not inquire about my salary expectations or tell me who I'd be interviewing with. I had to ask the recruiting coordinator the title of my interviewer since that also was not included in my interview confirmation.

Interview Questions

• Pretty standard scenario questions asked by the interviewer   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 in November 2015.

Interview

I contacted the HR and she shared my resume with hiring manager and they immediately set up a phone interview .It was a coding interview for 45min on collabedit.After that in end interviewer said I could have also converted both dates to seconds and then compared them like it is done in linux when using epoch. Later in 2 days I received mail from recruiter saying that I was not fit for the role. It seemed like interview went on well but don't know the reason

Interview Questions

• Compare 2 dates and return if they are equals ,difference between them is greater than month or less than a month. we could choose our own method arguments and return type .   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Applied online and received a call from HR. That followed with phone screens and then went to onsite interviews with 5-6 people ranging from Development managers, QA managers, Product Managers, Program Managers. Pretty intense and draining onsite interviews and toward the end of it I knew that I didn't have the skill set they wanted. I basically wanted to jump out the window and they were on the 25th floor.

Interview Questions

• Draw on the board an architecture diagram of a recent project that you worked on. What's your approach when you don't have clear requirements?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

Interview

First round is a technical phone screen with a guy who is very arrogant. The guy has a strong accent. I work with ppl from all over the world (Scotland, India, Russia) very well with no problem understanding them, but I have to try hard to understand this guy's accent and beg for repeat quite a few times, and he seems a little offended. I was given a coding question to solve on an online collaborating website. I solved it quickly, but when I explain the code to him, he couldn't understand. I tried explain to him using test data to go through the code, but he kept interrupting me and saying he didn't understand. I've never felt being tired talking before in my life. Then he let me put my code in IDE and test(I wrote in java) and he would do the same thing on his end. I felt relieved honestly cause we don't need to talk for a moment. At last I think he saw my code gave the correct output, because he didn't tangle on this problem any more, but jumped to the next question, after a long silence. After two days I got the reject email.

Interview Questions

• Given a string print all permutations and some other basic knowledge questions   Answer Question

Technical Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Sunnyvale, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

I spoke with very nice recruiters on the phone. Interviewed onsite with 4 different employees, individually, all choosing from a list of questions based on the company principles. I wasn't necessarily up to speed technically, but most of them were respectful. I'm frustrated that companies don't focus on the soft skills of a quick learner, smart, and enthusiasm. And, I found that the only women I dealt with were in the HR department. All tech people appear to be new/old school boys club.

Interview Questions

• They asked about confronting leaders about things that aren't working.   1 Answer

Data Warehouse Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Seattle, WA) in October 2015.

Interview

Was contacted by an Amazon recruiter, who viewed my LinkedIn profile and thought there was a match. After an initial 30 minute phone interview, we both agreed there could be a match and a second phone interview was scheduled.

The second interview was with a technical manager. I prepared for several technical questions, but this was more behavioral with some technical scenarios discussed. This interview lasted 45 minutes.

Based on this interview, they determined I was not a good candidate for a technical role, but offered to find other Program Manager roles and opportunities. I was disappointed because I can't imagine that a few scenario questions can give an interviewer a feel for technical abilities, given I have over 30 years of experience.

Overall I was left with the opinion that the interview processes is flawed. I had not been on an interview in over 10 years, but as a Principal Consultant I am often called upon to present solutions, discuss background and be familiar with various products and technologies. I would have preferred an entire day going over my experience, the pros and cons of solutions I've put in place, etc.

Interview Questions

• A few behavioral questions included describe an instance where I had a difficult or poor performing employee, what did I do. Another, what do I look for in an employee. Technical questions were more scenario based, for example how would I go about putting together a solution to accommodate click stream data from their site for analysis and business decision. Also, describe what technologies may be considered.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Sunnyvale, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

A recruiter called to describe the position, answer questions, and set up a phone / technical interview. The interviewer called a few days later, asked some basic questions about my previous employment (including what I liked most and least about one of my projects), then asked a few technical programming questions using a shared online text editor. Overall, it was a pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

• Algorithms (reversing a string), and some Big-O notation stuff.   Answer Question