Amazon Lab126 Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Lab126 Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 25, 2017

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Sunnyvale, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

After an initial call with recruiter and phone screen, the onsite was scheduled. Almost every interviewer was asking behavioral questions to check if you have their leadership principles. Leaving only 20-25 mins for a technical question in a 45 min round.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon Lab126

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Sunnyvale, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Got introduced via referral. The recruiter who contacted me could not produce much of a job description to me. She was also rather slow at getting back to me. After a phone interview, I was invited to do an onsite interview. I was interviewed by five people including the hiring manager, team members, and employees in cross functional teams. I did not hear back until well over a week after my interview.

Interview Questions

• Questions touched on behavioral, algorithms, knowledge of compilers, and a design based question   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 in November 2015.

Interview

I contacted the HR and she shared my resume with hiring manager and they immediately set up a phone interview .It was a coding interview for 45min on collabedit.After that in end interviewer said I could have also converted both dates to seconds and then compared them like it is done in linux when using epoch. Later in 2 days I received mail from recruiter saying that I was not fit for the role. It seemed like interview went on well but don't know the reason

Interview Questions

• Compare 2 dates and return if they are equals ,difference between them is greater than month or less than a month. we could choose our own method arguments and return type .   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Sunnyvale, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

A recruiter called to describe the position, answer questions, and set up a phone / technical interview. The interviewer called a few days later, asked some basic questions about my previous employment (including what I liked most and least about one of my projects), then asked a few technical programming questions using a shared online text editor. Overall, it was a pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

• Algorithms (reversing a string), and some Big-O notation stuff.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 in January 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Recruited contacted me with an initial phone screen. Afterwards recruited worked to find a few possible positions that fit my skill set. Recruiter was helpful and friendly, with prompt responses. This was followed with two technical interviews with Amazon engineers. These were conducted over the phone with online shared coding environment. Technical interviews consisted of basic questions on the Java language, design patterns, etc. There were questions on threading and syncronization, and was asked to code several things (more below). Make sure you know the basics of Big-O analysis and practice some algorithm puzzles..
    Overall positive experience. I believe the key is to talk through your thought process, even if stuck on a problem.

Interview Questions

• write a method to determine if a String is a palendrome   Answer Question
    • create a singleton class using lazy initialization, explain reasoning behind design (use of private constructor, use of volatile keyword, etc)   Answer Question
    • given array of integers A, find the max sum that can be obtained from any subarray of A   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126.

Interview

Phone Interview 1 : Technical questions from a Recruiter - it was ok. Just strange to be interviewed by a recruiter

Phone/Coding Interview 2: Nice guy from Seattle - very pleasant. Technical shared coding environment

Phone/Coding Interview 3: Pleasant person - I answered every thing. Even found problems with his code and question. Anyway - I was expecting to be called again, but was not. Polite email from recruiter that no feedback can be given about why they were not going to call again.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 in June 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by Amazon headhunters. They suggested to consider a position on their team working in the field related to my current course of work. I had one introductory phone conversation, one phone interview/skills test and one full-day in-person interview.

The interviews were interesting, but on the easy side of the scale. The interviewers were not trying to dig too deep into my answers and the follow-up questions were missing a lot of potentially difficult avenues. I had plenty of opportunities to ask them questions and I felt that the answers were mostly honest and overall positive. At the end of the day the team left a very positive impression. They seem to be an easy-going bunch of nice people and very professional at the same time. I'm sure it would be fun to work with them. Additionally, the field is very promising and the team convinced me that Amazon is taking the right approach there.

About 2 days after the in-person-interview I received the offer.

Unfortunately, the internal recruiters made it completely impossible for me to fully understand the details of the offer and accept it. First, before the interviews they kept using the wrong e-mail address, which added at least a month to the pre-interview steps. Then, the offer was presented over the phone only. The recruiters wouldn't confirm the details via e-mail or paper mail. Regardless of that, I pointed out that the compensation package needs to be improved to make it worth my while. Several phone conversations followed. Instead of providing direct answers to my questions, the recruiters were reciting the standard company mantra and trying to convince me that the offer is better than what I'm looking for. It wasn't, in one very specific and important parameter which I shared with the recruiters. During the last call I was told that they will work on matching my expectations and will get back shortly. Instead, I received an automated e-mail inviting me to fill a feedback form and the calls have ended.

Interview Questions

• Standard technical, leadership and problem resolution questions. Few of them were field-specific. Respecting the NDA here.   Answer Question

Offer being not good enough.
    However, very positive impression of the hiring team makes me sorry to let go of the opportunity.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Cupertino, CA) in December 2013.

Interview

First, a 30-minute interview on the phone with a developer from the team. Went well.

Second, an on-site interview with the developers and managers from two teams working on the same project. All goes well, some algorithm questions, some design questions... I think I hit it off nicely with both managers.

And then, there's the "culture guy".

How well you did during the previous five hours is irrelevant. The culture guy will ask you a "culture question" and then will keep repeating "what if that doesn't work" all the while giving you the unflinching death stare.

What are you supposed to do? Heck if I know. I can merely suggest to not crack a joke during that time. I did. I wasn't seriously thinking what I said. I thought it was bleedingly obvious that I wasn't serious but I think that joke destroy my chance right then and there. Oops!

Oh, but for extra brownie points, think of something Amazon could do better. Something real.

Interview Questions

• The unflinching death stare.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Sunnyvale, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

Applied by referral

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Sunnyvale, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

Applied online, got phone interview one week later. The interview lasted about 45 minutes,
    mostly talked about previous working experience, then asked some multithread questions. The interviewer is very polite.