Amazon Lab126 Technical Program Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Lab126 Technical Program Manager Interview Questions

3.6

7 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Seattle, WA) in January 2016.

Interview

I was contacted via an internal recruiter, Never to turn down a chance to practice my interview skills, of course I said I liked the job. I had one HR screening with some standard questions. Was sent a link to complete online exam.

Interview Questions

• You join Amazon Delivery Experience org that supports a service responsible for vending delivery options across the retail website. The service has a set of hard coded rules in Java and every time that the Product Managers would like to modify those rules, the come to the Developers and ask to change code to implement new rules or changes to the existing ones. To reduce the time it take the Developers to implement changes, your Director asks you to re-design the service such that the Developers don't need to be involved at least when changes are being made to the existing rules. The new system has to remain highly available and salable to support calls from the client services which rely on the output of this service, just like the old system. Assume you have 5 Engineers on a team available to do the work, and your Scrum iterations are a month long.
    1) What Questions would you ask? What other information do you need? State all assumptions you make about answers to these questions
    2) Please describe key components of the system that you would propose, assuming no external solutions can be purchased.
    3) How would the original design change if you were told that traffic to your service is going to grow 50% yr over yr.
    4) Would would you potentially try to deliver in the first Sprint? 2nd Sprint?
    5) Let's suppose that your director would review the estimates of effort and time it would take to deliver the new system, and wasn't pleased with it as it would take 6 months to build. Instead, he would propose to extract the business rules into the configuration file and deploy it to the 5 client services that consume the output.
        a) How would you respond to this request?
        b) Imagine that your team was resisting this approach and only wanted to go froward with the best possible. What would you tell them and how would you reconcile the disagreement between your team's opinion and the director?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon Lab126

Technical Program Manager Interview

Interview

I have been approached by several Amazon recruiters via LinkedIn, and my resume has been in their DB. At some point I was contacted for a researcher position, something I didn't look for but became intrigued by based on subsequent research. Interviewer deemed me overqualified (lengthy, senior responsibilities vs. the 3-5yrs the job called for) and took it upon himself to submit an internal referral. From there, I was contacted by a Lab126 recruiter for a selection of openings, and we went with the TPM position.

Phone screen w/ a current TPM. Typical behavioral questions. Interviewer was sharp and picked up on and dug into details. Signs suggested it went reasonably well.

A week of radio silence passed and I emailed the recruiter. Expected another phone screen based on internet research, but the reply said they'd like to fly me out.

The on-site day was grueling. Back to back to back interviews. While I obviously would have been allowed a break if I asked, with each interviewer coming in on the heel of a departing one, I just wanted to get on with it.

Lunch (cafeteria) was w/ the director - seemed a good person to report to. Smart, expects a lot of his people, but kind/empathetic. I was relieved to relax a bit. More interviews followed. Being someone who gets de-energized by having to talk all day long I was drained at the end of the day.

All in all I found everyone I spoke w/ (incl. very first phone interviewer) seemingly very experienced, intelligent, hard-working...people I would respect and enjoy working with. Left w/ positive feelings about Amazon.

Interview Questions

• Live design framework challenge   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Cupertino, CA).

Interview

Internal Referral.
    Passed from one recruiter to another, poor coordination.
    Recruiters responsive until first phone interview complete.
    Phone interview with employee in similar role lasted approx one hour.

Interview Questions

• Typical position related questions.
      Describe a project that failed and why   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Cupertino, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

Phone interview screen by hiring manager and on site interview for 4 hrs with four technical person and HR. The recruiter followed up quickly and kept me informed about the process.

Interview Questions

• Give an sample of the decision you made without sufficient data. The process and outcome.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Cupertino, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

Interview process was smooth. The recruiter got in touch with me and arranged a 1st phone interview with the hiring manager. There was a follow up phone screen and then I was invited to onsite interview. The interview was 3 hours long with 6 people. Got the response within 2 days to an offer. Smooth process and it took 2 weeks from 1st screen to an offer.
    Questions were more to gauge your progress in career and situational experiences.

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Cupertino, CA) in March 2010.

Interview

I was referred to the position by and employee. The interview process was pretty straightforward. I had a phone screen by a recruiter and then a 1/2 day of interviews by my Director, my boss, 2 team members, and a couple of peers. Questions included "what were your responsibilities at your previous job", "how would you debug/perform failure analysis on a product", and "where do you see yourself in 5 years"

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate my salary higher by using glassdoor's salary ranges for program managers in the Cupertino area.

Technical Program Manager Interview

Interview

Questions about real situations as a pgm