Amazon Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 9, 2017

3.2

35 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

two phone interviews from two different teams.

Interview Questions

• nothing really, not sure what they wanted, but the questions were normal.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in June 2013.

Interview

Initial phone screening followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager. During the onsite interview, the HR recruiter greeted me, followed by back to back interviews with 2 interviews, then lunch interview with hiring manager, then another 2 interviews. Each interview was intense with all behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• All the questions were behavioral...tell me about a time when....   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in April 2013.

Interview

I received a phone call from HR, stating that the position I had applied for was gone but they wanted to interview me for another position. I accepted and began what I remember as a fairly lengthy interview process. I spoke with HR, then maybe a week or two later I spoke with the person who would be my manager. He seemed nice, but the interviews were over the phone and I thought it was a little weird that nobody wanted to see me in person for any of the 3 or 4 interviews that were scheduled. I did what they asked and continued to interview over the phone. We got into long conversations about their work processes which seemed very interesting and things seemed to be going well but they wound up choosing someone else after what I remember as being 2 months of doing phone interviews.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in March 2012.

Interview

Began with a telephone screen with hiring manager who was merely attempting to confirm credentials for the role. Once that was done, the recruiter in charge got in touch and scheduled a day long set of interviews with entire team and peer to hiring manager. The interviewers were impersonal, matter-of-fact and kept cranking away on their keyboards stopping only to ask questions. Lot of the questions were behavioural and they attempted to dig into my preparation material on Amazon and if I had studied the links provided by the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Amazon is trying to build warehouses for same day delivery. Tell us what would be your criteria to determine choice of warehouse.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2012.

Interview

normal process, submitted resume online, did phone screen with hiring manager, and went for onsite interview, met 5 people with bar raiser.

Bar raiser is expected for most interviews. Bar raiser is people outside your hiring department. They will ask challenging questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in January 2011.

Interview

Have had a few phone interviews so far. Was contacted by a recruiter after applying to positions on-line. Interviewers are friendly, smart and seem to know what they are about. Interview questions are focused on gaining a clear understanding of my skills and potential.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in June 2010.

Interview

The interview process at Amazon is intense. For multiple management roles, I've had 7-8 interviews each time. My experiences with the people has always been positive. I've been welcomed and interviewers have been engaged and interested during the process. The questions are tough and the expectations are very high. Be prepared to get outside your comfort zone in the interviews. I appreciate that the interviews push you beyond your norm as that's what working at Amazon is like.

Interview Questions

• One interviewer drew on the dry erase board and had me work through various puzzles. He wanted to see my thought process and how I work through challenging situations - was I able to think outside the box, come up with viable solutions, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2010.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me initially to interview for a Product Manager position, emailed me a job description, and then set up a phone screen with the interviewer.

Recruiter emailed me back saying another manager had interest in my resume for a different position and wanted to talk with me before the 1st interviewer.

The interview timeslot with the first interviewer came and went without any contact form the interviewer. When I contacted the recruiter she informed me that she had cancelled the first interview so that the 2nd manager could speak with me first. We had not yet scheduled the 2nd manager's phone screen.

Recruiter was finally able to find a time with the 2nd manager. I rearranged my personal schedule to accomodate.

1 hour before the interview was scheduled to begin I received an email indicating that the interviewer had to reschedule and the new time was 5pm on a Friday afternoon. I rearranged my personal schedule again to accomodate.

The night before my interview I still had not received a job description. I contacted the recruiter and she sent me a description for a position thsimilar to one I had interviewed for previously and for which I had not been extended an offer. I contacted the recruiter again asking if the interviewer had access to the feedback from my previous set of interviews because I didn't want to waste his time or mine if I was not suited for the position.

The recruiter then contacted me again with a brand new job description that she said was the correct one.

I prepared for my interview on the basis of that job description - researched the product that the position was responsible for, identified potential areas of investment in future versions of the product to improve the experience, prepared myself with several detailed examples of results I've achieved in my current and past positions in my 15 years as a professional in the industry that demonstrate each of the qualifications that were stated in the job description. And I prepared a list of questions based on the position responsibilities and the product.

On Friday evening, the interviewer contacted me 20 minutes after we were scheduled to begin the interview. He was in a location that was filled with noise that made it difficult to hear him and was quite distracting.

The 1st question he asked was appropriate for someone fresh out of college with no prior work history or professional experience to assess. I was prepared with many examples of complex problems that I had successfully solved in my current and previous roles expecting that an interviewer seeking a senior manager would be more interested in validating my claims of experience and assessing whether or not my talents matched what they were looking for. The question the interviewer asked me was "If you had 5,623 participants in a tournament, and each participant had to play games until he/she one or lost, and every game had a winner and loser, how many games would have to be played in order to determine the winner of the tournament". I was NOT expecting this type of question as my first question in a phone screen for a senior manager position that was requiring "10-15 years of professional experience and a proven track record of managing and developing people in a fast paced and dynamic start up environment". I am also not good at these types of questions, and although I eventually answered the question, it wasn't my finest moment.

He asked some additional questions that were more relevant. But when he gave me the opportunity ask my questions, he was extremely short in his responses. I asked what in his eyes made his product superior to that of his competitors, having familiarized myself with them and having my own ideas. His response was "The features" and then proceeded to question the intelligence of my question. When I asked him my next question, whether the manager role involved hiring an entire team or whether there was currently staff in place to perform some of the stated functions in the job description, and how they handled specific types of problems I would expect them to have to solve for (localized content, market-specific legal / regulatory issues) his response was "That's not the right job description. It's irrelevant".

The interview ended and I was not at all surprised when I received a call from the recruiter on Monday morning saying that the interviewer decided NOT to extend an offer to come for in person interviews.

Interview Questions

• If you had 5,623 participants in a tournament, how many games would need to be played to determine the winner   61 Answers

Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

it is a limbo, with no light at the end of the tunnel. most mismanaged interview process. take endless rounds of long interviews and then vanish in thin air. no value of the employees time and no respect for them either. everything is you skill of mugging up their 14 principals and fitting them with right examples. no other skill what so ever or experience is required and if you are from a pedigree college that also is not needed. one word PATHETIC

Interview Questions

• Generic questions to judge fitment   2 Answers

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Munich, Bayern (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Munich, Bayern (Germany)) in May 2017.

Interview

Two weeks after sending my CV I had an online test. A week after I received the invitation to a phone interview with the recruiter. Recruiter was very professional, asked right questions about my previous jobs, situational questions, questions about my plans and objectives for the future. Overall it was a very friendly and constructive interview.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Amazon?
      Tell me about your current role.   1 Answer