Amazon Marketing Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 28, 2017

3.6

14 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

Online application followed by short interview with HR team. Was informed would move to the next stage of interview process but before the process could begin the role was offered to another candidate.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Lengthy and thorough process. The hiring manager gave me all kinds of background to help me prepare. She all but told me I had the job in seven talking points she covered at the onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were focused in a direction and your manager asked you to take on an additional project.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I applied online and about a week later I had a phone screen with a recruiter (20 minutes) which was very straightforward and very much just a screen. A coordinator set up a more extensive phone call with the hiring manager. I was also asked to complete an online "cultural assessment" which noted it may take 30 minutes but it was much quicker than that--probably about 15 minutes. It was essentially a list of one-line situations where you click on a scale of 1-5 how much you agree/disagree with a thought or action.

I felt there was no real "conversation" during the hiring manager phone interview (45 minutes). While the interviewer was very polite, the conversation felt robotic as it was clear she was essentially just reading from a list of questions and taking notes to compare to other candidate responses. She would even come back to elements of a question I had provided an answer for so I could repeat them--I assume for her notes. It just didn't feel natural at all.

Shortly after the phone interview I was informed they were moving forward with other candidates via email. To be fair, I also felt a bit overqualified for the position and it may have been a mistake to push me through to the hiring manager.

To their credit, they all moved fairly quickly along in the process and the coordinator did a great job organizing things.

Interview Questions

• Describe a campaign that you felt was particularly successful. What were the results?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (San Francisco, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Started with a phone screen by hiring manager followed by an in person "loop" interview. A loop interview provides the opportunity to meet the different people/roles you will work with on an ongoing basis.
    Overall, it was a great experience. It really allowed me to assess the culture and role.

Interview Questions

• The interviewers have all been coached to ask questions to elicit responses with specific examples.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Phoenix, AZ) in February 2016.

Interview

Overall analogy it was very professional interview was short and courteous previous employers reasons for leaving also what was I looking for given I was to get an offer

Interview Questions

• where do you see yourself proffessionally five years from now   2 Answers

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

The process started in mid-april for a job that would start in July. The interview consisted of 3 phone calls with the marketing leads and one head of marketing. Following that, a written assignment was given.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The process was very rushed. The position was in Asia, so I converted the pay to USD and emailed the HR that it's less than the local salary, but the HR said it's quite high in the area, and hurried me to sign in order to process my visa. So, not much room for negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2011.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter several weeks later. From there, the process was very quick - 13 days from first contact until the in-house was done. Unlike others, I had a very positive, painless experience with the recruiting team. Although my process was managed by three different recruiters, everyone was polite, professional, and extremely fast at responding - I never had an e-mail go unanswered for longer than 12 hours on the outside.

I had two phone screens on separate days, and four 1:1 interviews back to back on a single day in-house.

Both phone screeners were with senior managers and were very conversational - only a couple "tell me about a time when..." questions, and those were dispensed with quickly in favor of more back and forth to flush out my experience. Both interviewers explored how much I knew about Amazon's products, their strategy for those products, and what considerations/improvements I had in mind. Each was very friendly and offered to answer any questions I might have not only about the company/position, but on how to succeed further in the interview track.

For the in-house gauntlet, they stuck me in a conference room and had interviewers step in and out. Unlike at some other firms, the interviewers do not confer with each other between your interviews, so you will be starting fresh each time - be ready to repeat yourself some. Thankfully, my interviewers recognized that repetition was necessary and seemed to be more forgiving of fatigue-related errors as the day progressed.

Most of the questions were conversational extensions of each other - my interviewers were very, very good at stringing things together, forcing me to dive deeper into my own responses. Be prepared for questions on:

* Data-driven decision making and a lot of scenarios involving data.
    * Questions about what kind of data you would like, want, and could realistically expect.
    * Improvements to Amazon's existing strategies
    * Case questions on potential new products/services

I was told to expect a response within 5 business days, and was contacted via phone exactly 5 business days later with the unofficial offer; the official packet came via e-mail 4 business days later.

Interview Questions

• What are your hobbies? How do you usually shop for those hobbies? How would you improve sales of products related to your hobbies on Amazon?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to change roles.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about the last time you used data to inform your decision making. How did you acquire the data? If you had to make that decision again, what would you do differently? What data would you like instead?   Answer Question
    • What challenges do you think we face selling X on Amazon.com? How would you overcome those challenges?   Answer Question
    • What factors would you consider in making changes to Amazon Prime?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I had other offers on the table and Amazon negotiated salary to meet & exceed them. They further increased salary in lieu of matching benefits. It may help to do the math on any benefit gaps; my other offers included better 401k matches and more paid holidays, so I calculated the value of the difference based on the proposed salary, and asked specifically for that amount. I was not able to negotiate the signing bonus, but I believe it is negotiable under the right circumstances (or if you're better at negotiating than I am).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2011.

Interview

Interviewed for a marketing position with Amazon.com in Seattle. I was told I would be interviewing with 6 employees, but when prompted for names or positions of the employees they didn't supply it. This made prepping for the interview difficult.

The interviews were a very insightful process that took over 5 hours to complete. A bit of a marathon. Overall a challenging interview process, as should be expected from a category leading company. However the interviewers seemed to be obsessed over my Excel skills, data mining analysis capabilities or my experience with firing people.

They were not interested or focused on my past experience with marketing campaigns or campaign results, which was odd for a marketing interview.

When asked about work-life balance, they didn't seem to have any supporting company initiatives or corp culture to maintain work-life balance for employees. Got the impression that employees were overworked.

One interviewer in particular seemed to enjoy that he was making the interview process a difficult one.

Advice for other potential marketing candidates? Brush up on your Excel skills.

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

First had a phone call and talked about the position and my fit.
    I had to take 2 different interviews at the office then I heard the result.
    It went on pretty quickly.

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Amazon in February 2017.

Interview

interview process was very very long and stressful. when I ask next interview schedule the interviewer said I'm too hurry and Impatient..
    However, I applied position 3 month ago, the first interview was 2 month ago and had conference call interview after that 5 different in-site interview in one day.
    supersized me, this process not done yet. I will have another phone call interview.

Interview Questions

• Have you check our next event? did you get married?   1 Answer