Amazon Operations Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Operations Manager Interview Questions

Updated Feb 21, 2017

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Charleston, SC).

Interview

The interview process leaves a lot to be desired. I was scheduled on three separate occasions for a phone interview and each and every time the interviewer failed to call. This is not professional and definitely not the kind of work culture that I would like to be a part of.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in September 2015.

Interview

Starts with the phone interview which takes about 30 minutes, then I had to wait a month and a half for them to get a hold of me for an onsite interview. There were 4 rounds of interviews. They were about 30 minutes. It seemed to me that they were rushing through the interviews because there were 8 of us all applying for the same job, which makes you feel uncomfortable while you wait for the next person to interview. The math question isn't difficult but why even have it??? They seem to management heavy they don't seem to care much about their hourly workers.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how you would handle a person that shows up to work late often?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Florence, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Florence, KY) in September 2015.

Interview

Multiple people from different disciplines.
    Detailed questions.
    Specific scenarios.
    Site Tour.
    Written questions.
    Verbal Questions.
    There were many managers from several areas of this facilty and others. There were grouo interviews and individual interviews. The process took over four hours to complete.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bernardino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (San Bernardino, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

The interview was very structured, exactly as described in the other reviews posted here. There were 10 of us in the interview group and we assembled in the front of the facility. There was some confusion about dress code for the interview as we were given conflicting direction, but I can tell you that it was all males and 9 out of 10 wore khakis, dressy/casual shoes, and a dress shirt. No tie, no suit, and only one person wore jeans.

We began with a tour of the facility, which was enormous, but the person conducting the tour did not seem to have all of the information needed. Looks like the company is growing and evolving so fast that nobody can keep up with all of the changes, so they had only basic information about how the processes worked there. All of the employees were walking very fast, you can tell that it is all about productivity.

We then went into a room together, and were given a math problem to do. About half of the people banged it out, and half really struggled. There were then four rounds of interviews, about 1/2 hour-45 minutes each. There were 8 interviewers, so five of us were assigned to one team of four and five of us to the other team of four - which meant that for each round of interviews, someone got a break and had to sit that round out.

Of the four interviews, all of the interviews started the same way - "Tell me about yourself" - so don't be surprised and be prepared to give a brief rundown of your resume and skills to every single interviewer separately. One of them proceeded to discuss the math question, and review your logic and how you approached solving the problem, then just asked more in-depth questions about your background and experience. The other three followed the "tell me about yourself" opener with a series of three "Tell me about a time" questions - and they are adamant that you give very specific examples and follow the STAR interview format. All of the rounds concluded with a chance to ask the interviewer questions. Be prepared with a list - because by the time you ask questions on the tour, then ask questions to four separate interviewers, you start to run out of questions.

Most of the candidates seemed really stressed out and there is no reason to be. They are looking for a very specific candidate, and either you match or you don't - after such an intense interview, there is no way to fake it. It seemed like each of the "Tell me about a time" modules was reviewing you on a specific leadership dimension, so definitely study their leadership principles and make sure you have specific examples of each.

The process was very structured and organized, with good communication before and after. As others have indicated, whether hired or not you get an email about a week later - mine came 8 days after the interview.

Interview Questions

• I can't even remember, there were so many questions, but they all followed the standard "Tell me about a time when you......" format   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a Operations & Military Recruiter @Amazon. After I confirmed that I was interested I provided him my resume. About 1-2 weeks later, I received a Phone Interview Confirmation email from a Recruiting Coordinator - Amazon Worldwide Operations Talent Acquisition. I was given a 30-minute time window and was to be interviewed by an actual Operations Manager a Fulfillment Center. I dialed into the Conference Room & entered a Security Code that verified I was in the correct area. I dialed in 5 minutes early and was the only one there. I waited for 48 minutes, and individual that was to interview me never dialed in. But at the 55 minute mark, someone did join the room. Another candidate. I exited the call and dialed the Recruiting Coordinator, but no answer. So I emailed her. I have yet to hear anything back.

Interview Questions

• N/A-never occurred...So I put "Interview Difficulty as Very Difficult" due to frustration that my interviewer never showed.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Bernardino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (San Bernardino, CA) in July 2013.

Interview

The process is very structured. It is a POD setting with managers from all over the network participating. You may or may not be meeting with the people that you will eventually work with. You will be in a room with other candidates, who will be interviewing at the same time.

Interview Questions

• You will be expected to provide detailed summaries of how you have solved problems in the past. You will be expected to solve a series of math problems.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Cincinnati, OH) in July 2013.

Interview

Very Tough. 5 hr pod. 4 different interviews, each 50 mins. Use the STAR method of interviewing. They drill down to get the details to verify the story

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to make a decision with little data. How did you handle it and what was the result?   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in March 2010.

Interview

Extremely challenging. We only hire the best of the best. Panel type interviews that require significant study of the business and need a strong business acumen.

Interview Questions

• Panel interviews that deep dive into root cause. You can never provide enough details or data at Amazon. If you are the type of person that "fluff's" answers, you will fall on your face.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Easy.

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Interesting Company and booming in the distribution network. Unconventional but efficient interview process in which they bombard candidates in a four hour interview -session- on- steroids. You were told that if you were offerred a job, which everyone was, that you would be sent to a random city and that they could not tell you your shift or days of work. You'd either work Sun-Wed or Wed-Sat. Hours were either 7AM-7PM or 7PM-AM. You were also told that your hours could be switched at their discretion. To advance, you'd have to be willing to relocate within the 1st 12 months or so. Most of the interviewers were current managers in the distribution network, all relatively new to the company, all good people. They highlighted the fact that the money was great and the work-life balance was terrible. They highlighted the money over and over.

Interview Questions

• I was asked by one of the interviewers if I thought he did a good job based on the numerous questions I asked him.   Answer Question

I needed to know my schedule if I was relocating my family accross the country.

Operations Manager Interview

Application

The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in June 2012.

Interview

Amazon called for resumes through a LinkedIn site. Once they had my resume they contacted me requesting an HR phone screening interview. Concurrently HR sent a number of email questions requesting response. Upon successful completion of the HR phone interview, they moved me forward with a phone interview with a Site Leader. Successful completion of the interview lead to an onsite hiring conference where I interviewed separately with three directors and one senior operations manager. One of the interviewers focused on a math flow problem and an essay (both of which had to be sent in prior to the onsite). Other interviewers focused on my resume and responses to behavioral interview questions.

Interview Questions

• On the math flow problems they flow problem, they like changing headcount variables. Know what to do if you are lacking staff and how it will impact picking and packing   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you made a mistake and how you learned from it?   Answer Question