Amazon Operations Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 12, 2017

3.3

266 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Operations Manager Interview

Interview

I thought that the interview process was fair. There were a lot of different parts to the interview, such as multiple online simulations and interviews. It was all easy to understand though!

Interview Questions

• Typical interview questions were asked   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moreno Valley, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Moreno Valley, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Met with several members of the Sr. Operations team to discuss my qualifications and one person from HR. Interviews were conducted individually and included a math flow problem that then was later elaborated with one of the Sr. Ops Managers.

Interview Questions

• Why Amazon?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about your previous work and how it translate to the roll here at Amazon.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you pushed your team members to improve a process.   Answer Question
    • What is your greatest "people" story?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tracy, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Tracy, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Phone interview in December 2016. A second phone interview in Feb 2017. Finally on site interview in July 2017. Not organized at all. Was told to show up an hour earlier than scheduled but interviewers we not aware. Sr Ops Manager was not engaging at all. Wore safety vest the entire time even though sat in office for interview. There were 5 of us going into interview and the individual who was offered the position brought cell phone to interview and did not pay any attention to brief tour of fulfillment center. I may sound bitter because was not offer position but at least I pay attention to detail. Was told didn't have the right education and experience yet I hold an MBA and have over 20 years experience. Perhaps I was viewed as not trainable to be brain washed into the Amazon way however was able to quote all leadership principles and had examples. No worries will be back again as learned the dos and don'ts. Won't give up

Interview Questions

• How many employees have you coached to succeed and name one that has failed.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (Phoenix, AZ) in July 2017.

Interview

Recruiter called me 7/21 to inform of a position recently opened, had phone screen 7/25, onsite interview 7/28 and offered the position on 8/3. Plan for a very long day. Arrived at the FC one hour early as asked by the recruiter coordinator, did a tour of the facility. Make sure to bring notes, your own calculator, cell phone to keep track of time while waiting between interviews and own pens and pencils. Tour of the FC is boring and the person walks extremely fast so wear comfortable shoes. Once the tour is over you all sit in a room where they provide you with the math flow, very similar to the one in the practice packet. Hint; work backwards to solve. Next you meet with 2 Sr. Ops, HR and Ops who will be your peer. Sr. Ops asked me 5 questions while everyone else asked only 2. This is where it gets tricky, you need to make sure you impress the most Sr person the most as they are the bar raiser and ultimately make the final decision. When going over the math flow make sure they explain exactly what they are looking for as I am not sure they even know the answer, have them walk you through it as it can be confusing the way they explain it. Got a phone call from the recruiter 4 business days after the onsite interview offering me the position. This was my 2nd time interviewing as I was inclined the first time, but was unable to relocate and you are only inclined for hire for 6 months. I tried to tell the 2 others who were interviewing with me what to expect, but who knows if they believed me or took my advice. They are looking for a certain type of answer to their questions, either you have it or you don't!

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon in July 2017.

Interview

Interesting interview over an app. Not used to that of interviewing. Talking to a computer is not helpful. Met all qualifications but received a rejection email. The whole process lacks a human touch.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle a challenging situation   1 Answer

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Phone screening: Did not have math flow questions or any other standard questions? Was told I was a great fit for the team and I would receive an email on information to set up my face to face interview with-in 24-48 hours. But nothing heard!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself   2 Answers
    • Tell me what you do in your off time and about your family   2 Answers
    • How would I deal with a Area Manager that's older and more experienced and not responding to my request?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Cincinnati, OH) in June 2017.

Interview

I got called by a recruiter and I was not even looking. I think they found me on Linked-In. The whole process seemed very one sided as there was very little information given as to where the open positions were ahead of time. To learn a little more about it, I decided to work towards getting the phone interview by completing all their required items online. The phone interview and interviewer seemed to be in a rush and did not seem interested in listening. They seemed to be just "going through the motions" of the process. I felt my final questions were not answered., specifically around job locations. There also seemed to be a major arrogance about themselves. As a 20 plus year professional in the Continuous Improvement field, and with my credentials as a certified Black Belt, they ended up sending me a decline E-mail stating that I needed to work on building my experience. I found this to be laughable as I know my experience and skill sets in manufacturing, management, and retail far exceeded the Sr. Ops Leader who was interviewing me.

Interview Questions

• Simple math question regarding units produces with 20 directs and 2 indirects working a 40 hour week. Indirects had two 15 minute breaks and produced at a rate of 150 amazon boxes a day.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (New Haven, CT) in June 2017.

Interview

The interview process was suprisingly disorganized. Very casual dress with the some interviewers in jeans. Pretty straightforward line of questioning except the math problem was not complex but very specific to their sort verbage and if you dont know the sort subsorts i.e. pickers, shippers, small package and multi package you dont understand that the pickers and shippers handle all packages. The actual math problem was no where near the example they gave as an example. Simple pwrs formula

Interview Questions

• How do you communicate to your employees   1 Answer

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Pretty comprehensive. Constitutes computational as well as behavioral questions. Takes 4-5 hours. They give you a site your as well. There will be a group of candidates interviewing the same day.

Interview Questions

• Why are you leaving your current job   3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Joliet, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Joliet, IL) in May 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by HR. They saw my resume on LinkdIn. Wanted to set me up with an initial phone screen. Also had me fill out a job sheet that listed several criteria to see if I was a good fit. Phone screen lasted about 25 minutes. A few standard STAR questions (tell me about a time when...) as well as math flow problem to work out.

Heard from them the next day that I successfully passed the phone screen. They then set me up for an interview at one of their Fulfillment Centers in my area. They send you a packet of stuff to help you prepare beforehand. It does help. Review their leadership principles. Tailor your responses around them. They want to see if you fit with their style and culture. The interview session was comprised of 4 separate 30-40 minute interviews. Those were fairly straight-forward. Each one asked 2-3 STAR questions based on 1-2 particular leadership principles. They also have you work through a more in-depth math-flow problem. For those of us who haven't had math in about 20 years, it was a little intimidating. But it's standard stuff. You get 15 minutes to do it. But then when they review it with you 1 on 1, they expect you to explain your reasoning for how you got your answers. Also, when you answer the STAR questions, they will take notes on their laptop while you answer because they will then probe you on your answers. The sessions are all very relaxed, yet they are very thorough. Also got a 40-minute tour of the FC to see how it all works. Pretty impressive.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you failed. What was it and what did you learn from it?   3 Answers
    • Tell me about a time when you were presented with a problem and the way forward was not obvious at the time. How did you approach it?   Answer Question