Amazon Operations Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Operations Manager Interview Questions

Updated Apr 28, 2017

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tracy, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Amazon (Tracy, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

The process was very well organized to help the candidate prepare for the interviews.
First, contacted with questions through email with links to videos and web sites to learn more about the company and culture.
Second, contacted with clarification comments and questions
Third, phone interview with instructions for what to prepare for and the interviewers name ahead of the interview
Fourth, on site interview, again with a detailed agenda for what to expect.

I would say the Amazon leadership principles are a great asset to the company and create such a good process for preparing candidates.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time you accomplished something great and what was the result.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Nashville, TN) in September 2016.

Interview

About 15 of us were initially taken on a tour of one of their fulfillment centers. This showed the processes of picking and packaging and gave us the the lay of the facility. There was no organized location for supplies as they explained there wasn't a need for it. We were all given a work flow problem to calculate and asked us to be able to discuss how we came to the conclusion. We met with three more interviewers that asked us questions on how we fit their leadership principles.

Interview Questions

• What major contribution have you made in your current position to improve a process?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Irvine, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Few days after my online application, I received an email from a recruiter asking my availability for a brief conversation (initial phone screening). The recruiter was very punctual. The whole phone interview process lasted about 40 minutes. During the interview, the recruiter gave me various scenarios, following by series of questions. At the end of our conversation, the recruiter advised me to read through company's leadership principles to better prepare the follow-up interviews.

Interview Questions

• How do you find yourself fit into the criteria in the job description?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Leavenworth, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Fort Leavenworth, KS) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied and it took about a week to receive a call regarding an interview. Once that was complete they tell you that they will call in seven to ten business days which didn't happen without me prompting the recruiter. First interview no one ever called but promptly responded when I mentioned this and a second was scheduled.

Interview Questions

• The first thing he asked was a math flow problem. I did not get it correct in retrospect. Not hard just takes multiple steps one of which I missed.   Answer Question
    • What was a situation in which you failed?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chattanooga, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Chattanooga, TN) in July 2016.

Interview

Applied online and got immediate response from in-house recruiter. Answered general questions through email. Phone interview 1 week later. Typical behavioral and math questions as stated in other reviews. Moved on to next phase of onsite interview at another facility (not one applying for) 1 week after phone interview. 7 other people in group interviewing for various positions. Facility tour, 15 minute math question exactly as stated in other reviews, then interview with facility manager, 2 ops manager, hr manager. 5 hrs total interview time. Math a breeze. 100% focused on behavioral questions. Do not try and be friendly or make conversation, which is what I did. They strictly want the answers, nothing more. Interviewers will be from other facilities that you are NOT applying for. So you have no clue as to the other team members strengths/weaknesses/etc. 20 years experience in field does not matter; its only how you answer the questions. I believe you can fail the math and still get hired if you answer behavioral questions to their result. Actually thought I was well qualified from an experience standpoint; that will get you step one of the interview process. Remember, its all about behavioral questions. You will not get any feedback if not selected. I believe Amazon is a good company, they just interview differently from most other companies. Psychology majors would do very well in the interview!!!!!!

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in July 2016.

Interview

After speaking with a recruiter, I was asked to fill out a short questionnaire about my experience and was then scheduled for a phone interview with an operations manager. Interview was behavior based questions. Got feedback the next day from the talent acquisition team to move forward to the next step. (A site visit, which Amazon does in groups).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Allentown, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Amazon (Allentown, PA) in June 2016.

Interview

I was one of a "pod" of 8 interviewees. We all interviewed individually with four people over the course of a morning. Not all of us interviewed the same set of 4 people, but all met with potential supervisors and with an HR rep. We also had 15 minutes to complete a mathflow problem, with a typical example of how to allocate associates to meet production requirements given productivities in various steps of process. There was a similar mathflow question during the earlier phone screen.

Amazon did a great job of preparing candidates for interview. Provided Leadership Principals, on which all questions were based. Provided example interview questions, and explained all would be behavioral based {tell about a time when you . . . ).

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you did not accept the status quo.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Richmond, VA) in June 2016.

Interview

Multiple interviews. First was a phone interview which lasted about 40 min. Second interview was face to face at a center (Amazon flew me down for the interviews and picked up the whole travel tab). 5 interviews that morning to include a math related process question. Third interview was a telephone interview. Each of the interviewers asked different questions and provided some time to ask them questions as well. Good, fair, process.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of how you made a process improvement at your last job.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Chicago, IL) in May 2016.

Interview

I networked with some Amazon managers through LinkedIn which was very helpful. They provided an employee referral and I was contacted by a recruiter via e-mail about 2-3 weeks later. After some e-mail "interviews" asking various questions on administrivia, I was scheduled for two formal phone interviews. The recruiter was punctual and professional. A math question was given and some behavioral questions. Use STAR technique as they are looking for specific examples of what you did. Less than a week later, I was notified they wanted to continue with my candidacy and I was scheduled for an on-site interview at the location I was interested in working. Travel arrangements were made (although they waited until the last minute) and flight, mileage, hotel and car rental were all taken care of. On-site was 4.5 hours...FC tour, math question (got 15 min to complete and I only got maybe half of it right), then (4) 45 minute interviews with Sr Ops Mgrs and HR Mgr. They reviewed math problem and changed the variables and had you explain. Also, reviewed writing sample which had to be sent off two days prior on one of two questions. Rest of interview was all behavioral questions. They are BIG on their 14 Leadership Principles which are not just bumper stickers. They are integrated into everything! After all phone and on-site interviews, they left time for my questions...use this time wisely and ask good questions. I was notified less than a week later of their formal offer. Very smooth process but intense interview process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you mentored someone (or a team) that was failing?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Chicago, IL) in June 2016.

Interview

disorganized, quite lengthy, completely useless, didn't care for the culture of employees, I don't mind eased dress code but I find when the HR manager meets you with a "Straight Outta Compton" T-shirt on that to me is not professional