Amazon Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 26, 2017

3.5

114 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Product Manager Interview

Interview

The correspondence leading up the interview was great. They requested brief questionnaire about my work history which was, I thought, going to be a type of outline for the interview. I was mistaken.

The interview consisted of two hypothetical scenarios and how I would go about starting a project based on a certain premise. The scenarios were scattered and a bit outlandish which caught me off-guard. While the interview was quite difficult, it was unique and definitely taught me that you can never really anticipate the types of questions you'll receive during an interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about building a dating site for people who want to cheat on their spouses?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in October 2014.

Interview

It was on Campus Recruitment. I submitted the resume through campus and was called for an interview. Overall there were 2 interviews in the 1st round and if we cleared those, we will proceed to another round of 2 interviews. I did not move to the 2nd round.

Interview Questions

• Usual Behavioral questions with a twist like "How do you earn trust in a team?   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

I had a 30 min interview with a member of the team and then they flew me out to their offices. I was asked to write an essay about a product I built from end to end. Then I went through a round of 6 interviews.

Interview Questions

• When was a time that you failed at work?
      When did you develop a product that didn't work?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Austin, TX) in August 2014.

Interview

Telephone interview with hiring manager after initial phone screening with Amazon HR talent scout. Conversational and friendly, without a lot of grilling like a Google interview. A talent scout found me via LinkedIn, and then called to see if I would be willing to chat about opportunities at Amazon. I spoke with the talent scout, indicated great respect but only lukewarm interest if a relocation was required, but still agreed to talk to a hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• The questions were very open ended, essentially asking "what do you know about us, this market, and how to succeed in it." This led to a thirty minute conversation in which I simply described the state of the market and the forces buffeting Amazon and the rest of the competitive landscape. It was simply an open-ended opportunity for me to say what I knew about the space and how to help their business progress.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in July 2014.

Interview

Email correspondence with an HR rep as well as a recruiter, who scheduled three phone interviews, each an hour long. Very difficult interviews - several tough case questions and prodding follow-up questions designed to fluster you and poke holes in your answers. After the third one, Amazon flew me out to Seattle for a day of in-person meetings. Also very difficult. The interviewers seemed really rushed, and none of them, beside the hiring manager, were on the team for which this position was hiring. They had obviously been well trained by Amazon to parse out the people who are sharp enough and fit their exact mold of what the idea candidate should be.

Interview Questions

• Pretend you know nothing about Amazon Prime. How would you price it?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Interview

First round: Two 30 minutes telephone interviews
    Each interview has a small case
    You have to have a very deep understanding of their products.
    They do not care you do not have enough knowledge about their products to solve the case problems.
    So it's not only critical thinking ability tested.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (San Francisco, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Had an interview over the phone with the recruiter. Screen went well and was asked to fill out an online survey as the next step. Fifty percent of the test was about business skills, knowledge, etc. Mostly general MBA-style info. The other fifty percent was focused on character traits. I answered honestly and found out I didn't advance to the next round. Think it was because I wasn't perceived to be aggressive enough, which I later heard was a desirable trait at Amazon.

Interview Questions

• Did you ever get in trouble at school for being disruptive, loud, etc.?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2014.

Interview

The interview process was pretty hard. It started with three phone screens over three months followed by an onsite interview that lasted all day. I literally walked out of my last interview with a headache due to all the questions asked.

Interview Questions

• Several questions about scenarios using the leadership principles.   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Through University recruiting

Interview Questions

• Should Amazon enter into selling contact lenses ?   2 Answers
    • Tell me about a time when you broke a complex problem into simple sub-parts ?   Answer Question
    • How would you improve an existing amazon product ? How would you measure the impact ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in January 2014.

Interview

Amazon recruiter contacted me via e-mail for an interview for a product management role. The 1st scheduled call was cancelled by the recruiter for unavailability of the reviewer. Call was rescheduled 1 week later with another person. Questions were as followed
    1. Describe your background
    2. Describe an instance where you had to make an important decision with out approval from your boss
    3. Describe a customer feedback recommendation that you implemented

Overall very courteous throughout the whole process. I was not selected for the second round. Recruiter could not provide feedback.

Interview Questions

• One question that struck me by surprise was being position which I was applying for. Product manager of Technical Program manager.   1 Answer