Amazon Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Product Manager Interview Questions

Updated Feb 20, 2017

3.5

Product Manager Interview

Interview

got a phone call from the hiring manager. all behavioral questions to test EQ and ppl skills.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in August 2013.

Interview

Everyone was very courteous, punctual, and easy to talk with at Amazon. There is a bit of a mystique about the interview process. I went through two phone screens but did not proceed beyond that, and one really doesn't ever find out why.

Interview Questions

• I cannot remember any questions verbatim, but conventional wisdom I heard beforehand was true. Provide detailed answers. They want to get beyond the generalities of a resume, so the more concrete you can be, the better   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Interview

Got interview through a Career Fair whil dong MBA. First round interview involved 3 managers for 30-45 minute interview. They were mix of case and behavioral.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

All but one of the team member was unprepared and a complete moron. The attitude he brought to the table was enough to put me off the entire job itself. Amazon needs to look carefully at who they select as interviewers and their company comes off as arrogant.

Interview Questions

• Not many but they really need to keep their wrong and egoistical attitude in check   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2013.

Interview

Email from HR, then a call from a Sr. Product Manager, 30 minutes interview

Interview Questions

• Be clear what kind of product manager you want to be, product development, partnership/relationship management, or just managing the product. Read well the job description to identify what they are looking for   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Two 30 minutes back to back phone interviews. First interviewer ask most of the behavior questions and also ask follow up questions pretty aggressively. The second one is more friendly and ask a few general behavior questions and then through a mini case to me.
    My cell phone got cut off in the second interview, so use a land line if you can.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a situation that your got challenged in public.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Amazon (Nashville, TN).

Interview

Two phone interviews.
    Questions about - difficult team member, a time when you used a lot of data for analysis, leadership example.
    Second interviewer went very deep in each stories. They were looking if I havn't made up any stories.

Interview Questions

• A time when you used a lot of data in a short period of time.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in November 2012.

Interview

I was initially screened over the telephone with a recruiter and the hiring manager. I was then invited to an all day panel interview in Seattle with approximately 5 individuals from different functional areas within Amazon. The interview was largely experience based with a case discussion as well.

Interview Questions

• Describe a project where you had the greatest impact and how did you use data to drive your decision making process.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in July 2012.

Interview

Phone screen by hiring manager followed up by full day interview loop. There were five interviews during the interview loop. Each interview has a distinct focus (work history, business case, break even analysis, product spec and cultural fit). The interviewees consisted of peers to the position, a VP level interview and an engineering peer. Be ready for a very analytical interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2012.

Interview

I’m an internal referral, so I meet the HM for coffee to chat about the job. We talk for 1hr+ and it becomes an interview in which he asks several behavioral Qs. He seems keen.

Then I get an e-mail from a recruiter; but it isn't really a recruiter, it’s a contractor who just schedules stuff and can't answer any questions. This is different from other companies, where the recruiter wants candidates to do well and provides some guidance. She schedules a 1 hr phone screen with someone who would be my peer. Most of the interviewer’s Q’s are around solving the team’s real problems. She is rather nervous and I have no idea how I've done. A few days recruiter-who-is-not-really-a-recruiter mails me to schedule a second screen. I’m a little miffed that the initial HM interview didn’t count as 1 of the 2 screens. At the appointed time, the interviewer doesn't call: the recruiter/scheduler gave her the wrong number, but I have to call her to find this out. A week later the second screen goes ahead; lots of ‘how would you solve this problem’ Qs, and it seems to go well.

The recruiter/assistant sends me a list of Qs, including current & expected salary. I ask her what range they have in mind; she doesn't respond. A loop is scheduled for the following week: 15 mins with the recruiter, then 4x 45-min interviews, with 75 mins for lunch with HM sandwiched between.

On loop-day I arrive early as advised, and check-in only takes a minute. This is the first time I’ve met a blue-badge recruiter (and as it turns out the last). She has a meek, intern-like demeanor that surprises me. She tells me about the benefits package. I ask if there is a salary range (since I’ve already shared my current salary); she doesn't know because they haven't settled on a grade. She doesn't ask me about travel expenses, and I forget to mention I paid $25 to park and have brought the multiple forms her assistant e-mailed me.

Then it's into the loop. 45 mins with each interviewer goes by quickly, and they look up at the clock often to make sure they don't overrun. The first is with a scientist, who mentions in passing that I am being considered for two roles, which is news to me. He asks me to design an algorithm to re-stock inventory. It's a fun exercise, but a hard way to start the day and I’m clearly out of my depth. I muddle through, and at the end he explains that this was a deliberate curve ball and I won't be expected to do this if I'm hired.

The second interview is with a peer, and we have a more practical conversation about my experience and the job. Then it's into lunch with HM. I eat light, as advised by everybody, but drink too much Diet Coke and find it hard to focus by the end. HM really, really wants me to describe a problem I solved where I went way beyond what was asked. We discuss it for over 20 mins and all the way back to the office, but I don't think I satisfy him. I am about to wet myself, however. Back at the office, a 1 min bathroom break is my only downtime in the whole loop.

The next interviewer is clearly the bar-raiser and we chat about supply chain systems, of which is a director. By now I am starting to get similar Qs about solving real problems. He grills me pretty well, although not in a mean way; still it's hard to know how I've done as he gives nothing away.

The final interview is with another team member, who asks more Qs about real-life problems. They're not too hard, and it seems to go well, but I have been answering Qs for over 4 hrs without a break. I don't know how it's going, I don't even know if I want the job - I just want this to end. At the end of the loop (just under 5 hrs in total) the last interviewer walks me out to reception. This is anticlimactic but I'm relieved to be out.

Three days later, the recruiter (the real one, not the assistant) leaves me a VM to say I hadn’t got the job. I'm pretty unhappy: I really wanted it, and despite a mixed performance in the loop I hoped they'd seen enough in me. I call to ask for feedback, but never hear from her again.

The experience left a bad taste in my mouth, and although I would still love to work for Amazon I’d hesitate to apply again. HR's involvement was minimal, and they added little to the process. I met 5 members of the team (plus the HM twice) and all the interviews were grueling, so they had the chance to see me from many angles. But I'm not sure that 5 hrs of Qs without a break allows the best candidates to shine, just those with a stamina that may not be required for the job. I’ve heard that the only opinions that really matter are those of the HM and the bar-raiser; if true then why bother with the others? I know it's a macho culture, but the poker-faced zero-feedback approach was deeply unattractive. And I understand that, in the end, many candidates aren't the right fit for a job or a team, or even a company - but after a total of 8 hrs of interviews I had hoped for more than a voicemail that said “no thanks."

Interview Questions

• How would you measure customer satisfaction?   Answer Question
    • How would you decide how many to order of a brand new product that hasn't yet launched?   Answer Question