Amazon Program Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 19, 2017

3.4

105 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

One Phone Screen followed by Onsite. The group panel has couple of good managers and not so bright managers.Some of the older managers lack the technical ability to discern machine learning and analytical models and as to how they are still there in a place like Amazon makes you a non believer. Prime Now has a lot of deadweights and the company need to jettison them in order to be lean.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

It was hard but to the point. The interviewer was not very happy. Did not smile. Just looked at his computer dcreen while i talked. Theg kept asking same question. Tell me about yourself. I think they were just interviewing for the greencard process

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

Met the hiring manager at an my university career fair. My internship experience was very similar to what was required for the PM position in the manager's team. Scheduled a phone call where the manager explained what his team does, provided an example of a current problem the team is trying to solve and asked if I'd like to work on such projects.

Shortly after, received an email for an on-site interview in their Seattle campus. The interview was relaxed, they were interviewing 8 candidates that day for 1 position. 4 interviews in total, 3 from members of the team including the hiring manager and 1 Amazonian who wasn't a part of the team so that I could get a different perspective on things. They are evaluating you against their 14 leadership principles, so know and understand them properly. Each interviewer's questions are directed over 2 of them, some will tell you the principles they are testing you on, some won't. Know your experiences and story well and you'll be good.

Presented the offer 2 days after the interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation unfortunately for college grads

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Cambridge, MA) in November 2016.

Interview

After applying online - Initial contact by the recruiter followed by 2 behavioral phone screens from peers. The recruiting coordinator was courteous and followed up consistently to ensure I received updates. Called for on-site after over a month. Onsite was a reflection of what to expect from the company. Interview was not optimally scheduled- they scheduled an interview to begin at noon up to 4 pm, with the note that lunch will not be provided. Essentially, Amazon expected someone to start an interview at noon ( for which someone would have to leave at least an hour ahead to get into the middle of Cambridge and take back to back absolutely vocal interviews, with 6 people in intervals of 45 mins( all of which ran overtime), without any food. To their credit, they did offer me water and coffee and a supervised restroom break. Questions were not technical, but behavioral, most of which seemed repetitive. They make you sign an NDA. They don't provide any specific details about the role. The job description was very generic- when you'd ask a question, they'd give a beat around the bush answer but they would want very specific answers with examples to their questions. Why would you expect someone to give you specific details about their work if you are not willing to provide information about the job or questions you are asking. I had an interviewer who is a research scientist and that interview was totally scattered all over the place with no coherence in the questions asked or responses to my questions. By the middle of the interview with this person, I felt like we were 5-6 questions away from the original question. All 6 interviewers gave the same answer to my question about work life balance at Amazon as though they were trained to answer that question. They even used the same words in a sentence. Now isn't that a co-incidence?
    At the end of the interview- I felt exhausted. When I reached home, I immediately went to bed, because of the fatigue.
    On the positives, they did close the loop on the interview within 3 business days to let me know that they were not pursuing my candidacy, which is a rare thing these days with recruiters.

Interview Questions

• Cant give details about the questions due to the NDA- but they were all behavioral questions asking for specific examples   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in September 2016.

Interview

Amazon has 14 leadership principles. Assessment on these principles is used in hiring, periodic evaluations, promotions, etc. Your first week on the job you're going to memorize them. Why not get started early?

Your job interview is a gauntlet of 6 or 7 people, each of whom will be assigned 2 of these 14 principles to ask you about (they may omit "frugality" and "raise the bar" if you have only 6 interviews). At least one of the interviewers will be outside the group you're being hired for, the remainder will at least have some bearing on what you will be doing.

The questions may start the same and you'll see them here on the site: "tell me about a time when you..." but the "drill down" questions will relate to the leadership principles. The same original question from different interviewers will lead in different directions. Be prepared to address every leadership principle. Follow the "STAR" method. Have more than one example for each one, if possible. Be prepared to get into trivial specifics of your answer. "Why did you ask that person for this information? What if that information was wrong?"

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you (insert situation related to one of the 14 Amazon Leadership principles)   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

4-individual phone interviews over ~2 month time frame was followed by a day-long on-site interview blitz of 6 additional 1-on-1 interviews. HR made it CLEAR there would be no feedback during or after the interviews.

Interview Questions

• Behavior based questions were asked over and over again. Not one technical question in 10 interviews.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in June 2016.

Interview

Though everyone I spoke to was extremely nice, this was the most ridiculous interview process I've ever encountered. I expressed concern over salary early on in the process, multiple times, though HR insisted we weren't "too far off" (despite a $40k gap) and encouraged me to continue. The cost of living calculator offered by Amazon HR to justify their lower pay was the only one I'd found in their favor. Reputable cost of living calculators from CNN and Money magazine showed only a 4% difference from my current city to Seattle, while theirs (from some no-name site) estimated it's %17 percent cheaper in Seattle. I kept plugging along exploring the opportunity even though this disparity left me feeling like my potential future employer was starting our relationship with a lie.
    I was asked for 2 different writing samples and also filled out a questionnaire where again my salary requirements were asked. Over the course of the interview process, I was asked to send my resume 4 different times.
    During the phone interview with the person to whom I would report, I asked about the NYTimes expose from 2014 which made Amazon sound like a brutal, cut-throat place to work. My would be boss, reported that yes, he had cried at his desk and yes, he is normally working 60-70 hours a week but his perception is that's how it is everywhere. Uhm, no....I've never been made to cry at work and while I do put in the occasional 70 hour week, its not regularly expected.
    I was asked to fly out for an in person interview. I made arrangements for hotel and flight via Amazon's travel department. A few days before my flight HR called to prep me for the interview. First, it was explained that should I have to go the bathroom or need water, I should certainly not be shy about advocating for myself. Errrrr do they think i'm an idiot? I was informed there would be behavioral and situational questions and was asked if I knew what these types of questions were. I was also given the names of 5 people with whom I would meet and told that, "I might want to look them up on LinkedIn so that I knew who I was going to be talking to." The manner in which I was babied through the interview process was quite frankly embarrassing. Why coach people to say what you want? Shouldn't they look for someone's authentic response? If a candidate doesn't know what interview questions are and how to best respond; and if the candidate didn't look up who they were meeting with, don't hire them! Finally, at the end of the prep call, HR asked if the salary I had quoted as my bottom line was negotiable. I explained I was only asking for the same amount I made last year. At this point, the person to whom I was speaking explained she needed to speak to the hiring manager since she didn't think they could come up that far. An hour later, I got a call saying they couldn't meet my salary demands and didn't want to waste my time. Too late!
    Thankfully, I already have a job and this confirmed my present company is a vastly better place to work than Amazon.

Interview Questions

• What's the most risky decision you've ever made?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2016.

Interview

Total Time in the process : 48 days

Applied On Amazon Job Website
    <2 days>
    Received an email from HR
    <7 days>
    1st On Call HR Screening (15 mins)
    <7 days later>
    2nd Phone Interview - with Team Member (1 hour)
    <15 days later>
    3rd Phone Interview - with Hiring Manager (1 hour)
    <15 days later>
    On-Site Interview at Amazon, Seattle (BIG DAY)
    7 interviews back to back (1 hour each) including 1 hour of Lunch with Team Member (this wasn't an interview).
    <3 days later>

HR rolled out the offer via Phone Call

The Interview with Bar Raiser was one of the best experience.

Over all experience was very good as all interviewers would ensure to make you feel comfortable and inviting to their team. HR communication has been very effective in knowing the entire process. Do not hesitate to question anything to the recruiter.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wellesley, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Wellesley, MA) in April 2016.

Interview

Phone screen. The person do phone screen is nice. Mostly review your background so just be relax, listen carefully, and answer shortly. Do not say anything unrelated to the question.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself? other similar question.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2016.

Interview

Loop with 5 separate interviewers, plus a very low key lunch interview. Questions were all based on the company's leadership values. Some interviewers let you know which value they are interviewing for, others leave it up to you. Interviewers largely went out of their way to make me feel comfortable.

Interview Questions

• What was a time where you made a decision and it ended up being the wrong decision? How did you handle it?   Answer Question