Amazon Recruiter Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Recruiter Interview Questions

Updated Feb 20, 2017

2.9

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (London, England (UK)) in June 2016.

Interview

The Amazon interview process is well described here so I'll add what I think will be useful. Amazon have a number be of key characteristics that they look for. You'll find these online easily. You have a couple of rounds of phone interviews where they ask you pretty standardised questions. "Can you give me an example of a time where you've had to do a piece of work out of your comfort zone" these types of questions. If you can keep your answers backed with data and concrete short examples you will do well the Interviewer was honnest and told me that I had waffled to much. Fair point.

Interview Questions

• Standard Co. Potency based interview questions. Almost one for each of their Competencies.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in March 2016.

Interview

I went online and found the position and applied via their website which was very easy to navigate. I was contacted very quickly after applying for the position which was great. I had the first phone interview four days after I applied and the second phone interview a week later. After that I heard nothing which was disappointing.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a few times to give another example which got a little hard.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in September 2015.

Interview

Sitting in a windowless room for 8 hours with only a 30 minute break to eat lunch alone. And writing an essay before the interview. Each interviewer was late, which was somewhat disrespectful, and described a culture in which people talk over each other and seemed overly competitive rather than collaborative

Interview Questions

• I cannot recall the specific questions, but some of them were completely irrelevant to my job.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

Telephone interview with recruiter for first round (positive impression); 2nd telephone interview with role manager who missed our originally scheduled time and had to reschedule the interview; 3rd telephone interview with another manager. 2 week break for scheduling onsite interview. Onsite interview consisted of 5 in-depth behavioral based interviews. Returned home and had another telephone interview. I felt the interview process challenged me but It's one thing to push people to excel and another to pontificate about expectations from high upon a mountain. I definitely felt a "chill" in the air. I felt compelled to want the opportunity from the shear challenge in the role - not because of the way the interviewer's made me feel through the interview process. I would suggest anyone preparing for this role go in with realistic expectations and be prepared to be humbled. The follow up communication following the onsite interview was not very good - took a week and a half to get a response back from my recruiter. The hiring manager really led me to believe that I was going to get this position and that did not happen.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you took a risk in one of your previous roles?   1 Answer

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in December 2014.

Interview

Had an internal referral and got a call screen within 3 days. Call screen was fine. Couple of days later got called for interview on site. Had answers prepared relating to all the leadership principles. Five different people interviewed me, back to back, which can be very intense for some.

They all seemed to ask the same questions so it's almost a test of perseverance and patience I guess.

Most annoying part of the process was them all clacking away on their ancient clunky looking notebooks. I thought they were taking notes, but I found out afterwards they're usually instant messaging one another.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really threw me to be honest, it was all the usual stuff, very operational. I was expecting the 'think outside the box google-esque' type questions but didnt get any.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2012.

Interview

Three weeks after I had applied, I was granted a phone screen, but only because I had received an internal employee referral, which you will likely need as this is a very difficult corporation with which to make inroads.

The 30 minute phone screen was average in terms of both friendliness and difficulty level. I provided examples of my past work, successes and failures both, but was continually pressed for further detail and measurable "metrics." I did not seem to have the preferred qualifications, and I was clearly not giving the "right" answers. At the conclusion of the call, I fully assumed it would be the end of the road. However, a couple of days later I received a call from someone in HR, giving me a time to come in person, two days after that. I was told there would be four consecutive 1:1 interviews, 45 minutes each.

The best advice I can give to other candidates: prepare extremely thoroughly and be sure that you have memorized every detail of every job you've had, and most importantly, how it has affected the company's bottom line (in other words, how has it improved profits). Be especially prepared to describe all of your worst failures in great detail. They really want to hear a LOT about how you've fallen down and how you were able to fix the situation.

On the day, I was brought upstairs by a very friendly and engaging coordinator whose job seemed to be to “put me at ease.” The buildings and offices are all brand new and it feels like a modern, exciting place to be. I was shown to a conference room, where I stayed for the duration of my four interviews with four different people. The first and last interviews were the toughest, as the first was with a senior manager and the last was with the hiring manager. These two individuals asked the toughest questions and pushed me the furthest as far as wanting more examples and further detail. The third interview was actually very pleasant, as the interviewer was very friendly and genuine and seemed most empathetic with regard to being in a stressful interview situation. All four interviews were behavioral-based, asking questions of the "describe a time when you..." variety. The details I provided were never enough, and it was clear that my experiences were inadequate. The repeated response was "yes but, so....what was the RESULT?" Which translated as, "but how did you increase profits?"

It is absolutely true what they say about the interview being an opportunity for the candidate to "interview the company" as well. In this case, it was a very eye-opening experience, and I definitely left the building with the knowledge that it was not the company for me. I never received any kind of follow-up call or e-mail.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you have really failed at something important, what the result was, and how you fixed the situation.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you thought outside the box or did something innovative to positively impact the team you worked on.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I concur with the other interview posts about the process being unprofessional, rude & waste of my valuable time. Amazon reached out to me to be considered for relocation to Seattle for a position. Two very disjointed phone screens and then passed along to another Sr. Recruiter to discuss a role on the same team. She acted completely put out that she had to interview me. 45 mins of discussing my background, agile talent acquisition strategy, metrix, on & on. Note, I have more experience than this person and she was condescending and very off putting. MY CHOICE is PASS!!!! Wouldn't want to work with this person. Too bad as Amazon needs to hire close to 100,000 more people & needs resources for the team to keep up with the robust hiring needs. ADVICE to Leadership -create a better candidate experience and do not let interviewers with a chip on their shoulder conduct interviews and make decisions to disposition.

Interview Questions

• STARS behavioral questions. The interviewer acted like she had something to prove to me and asked why I'm even applying. I was recruited by Amazon so act like a professional and not create such a poor candidate experience.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

Amazon reached out to me. I had a couple phone interviews then was scheduled for an on-site set of interviews. Had 6 interviews with a lunch break with one of the interviewers. Most of the interviewers were pleasant though completely uninterested in my background and real experience. They each had a couple questions presented in the STAR format and had little time for anything else. A couple interviewers seemed somewhat perturbed to have to conduct interviews, one was late and was obviously rushed and kept cutting me off mid sentence.

As I came into the building and waited I was truly excited about the possibility but as the day wore on and I felt how truly little the interviewers appeared to care for me as a person that excitement wore down. By the time I left I could have gone either way. But nothing ventured nothing gained.

I can say, that it was apparent that I may have been the oldest person in the building that day and style and comfort wise they probably did not see me as a fit. Since they don't give any interview feedback there is no real way of telling and I am sure they are smart enough to never mention age as a factor.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you disagreed with leadership   1 Answer

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in December 2016.

Interview

Es gab eine Einladung nach der Online Bewerbung zu einem ersten telefonischen Gepsräch. Insgesagt dauerte das Gespräch nicht so lange wie angekündigt sondern nur ca. 20min. Trotz der kürze war es ein sehr angenehmes und nettes Telefonat.

Interview Questions

• Was mich als Recruiter qualifiziert
      kurzer Englischtest (What do you think will be the biggest challenge for you in this new job?)
      Was waren Highlights und Enttäuschungen bei ihrer Arbeit im Recruitment?
      Was ist erfolgreiches Recruitment für sie?
      1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Detroit, MI) in October 2016.

Interview

Phone screen and brought in for a in personal interview. I was told I would have an answer the next day but one week later finally got an answer.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume. Why are you interested in Amazon. Very short   Answer Question