Amazon Recruiter Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 22, 2017

3.3

61 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Submitted resume online to a few jobs I felt I was qualified for - and waited for the responses..which did come. Set up phone calls via email (with questions to respond to). Efficient - but I withdrew my resume from consideration early on so I can't say what the real process would entail.

Interview Questions

• They start out with an email asking you for your compensation expectations, basic questions that are on your resume but not a big deal. Then the phone interviews...were not that challenging but relevant. The recruiters seemed focused on getting things done which was good. My first call however, was a recruiter pushing a job that 1) I had not applied for 2) I was not interested in - with a lure of being "able to change after a few months." Which was...disappointing - not in the recruiter but more in that I would potentially be having to do the same bait and switch for other roles if I were take a job there and I noted - why would someone hire me from this random, non core (and non interesting team) for one of the more interesting roles. Oh, and the first phone question was "how much of a pay cut would you take"...again, not the recruiter's fault just disappointing (and again, not thrilled at the potential of having to do that to others. That is never a great way to secure "top talent" which combined with Amazon's rough reputation...a tough sell. How Amazon gets "top talent" like it says it does - is a mystery to me these days (if they do at all.)   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in March 2016.

Interview

I went online and found the position and applied via their website which was very easy to navigate. I was contacted very quickly after applying for the position which was great. I had the first phone interview four days after I applied and the second phone interview a week later. After that I heard nothing which was disappointing.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a few times to give another example which got a little hard.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in December 2015.

Interview

As expected, I had two phone interviews followed by an on site interview day. I was being considered for a number of different recruiter roles and so my on site interviewers were split between different hiring managers.

The whole experience was great. Yes, it is as expected in terms of structure - you will have 4-7 different interviews on one day, all around 45-60 mins each. However, the process is not meant to be overly harsh or "break you" like some suggest!

Personally, all my interviewers were friendly and insightful and gave me the impression that they both knew a lot about their area of the business and cared about it.

Interview Questions

• Lots of behavioral and situational based questions as expected.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (San Francisco, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

Referred by internal candidate, heard back within 48 hours. Had an initial interview with recruiter that emailed me questions ahead of time. Shortly thereafter, had a 45 min interview with hiring manager, 24 hours later, was given notice that I would be invited for onsite interviews.

Interview Questions

• Why Amazon?
      Why are you looking elsewhere?
      Research the Amazon Leadership Principles / many of the questions were similar to "tell me about a time where..."   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in September 2015.

Interview

Sitting in a windowless room for 8 hours with only a 30 minute break to eat lunch alone. And writing an essay before the interview. Each interviewer was late, which was somewhat disrespectful, and described a culture in which people talk over each other and seemed overly competitive rather than collaborative

Interview Questions

• I cannot recall the specific questions, but some of them were completely irrelevant to my job.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Passed my resume to a recruiter via LinkedIn and was contacted a few days later to schedule an Initial Screening with the Hiring Manager. I was then invited to the Amazon HQ for 6 in-person interviews about 2 weeks later. The interviews were about 45 minutes each and focused on Amazon's leadership principles. I was surprised by the number of behavior based questions there were, the interviewers would really dive deep to get the specifics of each answer you gave, but it didn't feel like an interrogation it was more like a conversation, which was nice! It was clear that everyone I met was incredibly smart and really looking for "Amazon" personality fit at this point. My best advice is to study Amazon's leadership principles along with your resume and be ready to go into great detail about how you showcased those same principles, be open to sharing your thought process and support anecdotes with quantifiable data as much as possible.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had a goal and made a plan to accomplish it, but competing requirements got in the way? How'd you manage your other priorities? Did you meet your goal? Why or Why Not? What did you learn from it? If you could go back, how would you have done things differently? Why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

Telephone interview with recruiter for first round (positive impression); 2nd telephone interview with role manager who missed our originally scheduled time and had to reschedule the interview; 3rd telephone interview with another manager. 2 week break for scheduling onsite interview. Onsite interview consisted of 5 in-depth behavioral based interviews. Returned home and had another telephone interview. I felt the interview process challenged me but It's one thing to push people to excel and another to pontificate about expectations from high upon a mountain. I definitely felt a "chill" in the air. I felt compelled to want the opportunity from the shear challenge in the role - not because of the way the interviewer's made me feel through the interview process. I would suggest anyone preparing for this role go in with realistic expectations and be prepared to be humbled. The follow up communication following the onsite interview was not very good - took a week and a half to get a response back from my recruiter. The hiring manager really led me to believe that I was going to get this position and that did not happen.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you took a risk in one of your previous roles?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

Great. Amazon was in constant communication with me throughout the entire process. Although I was very intimated about the interview process after reading other reviews, I thought everyone was really friendly and tried their best to make me feel comfortable. At the end of the day it is an interview and you are going to be asked questions and then probing questions, so I can understand why some people have problems with their interviewing style but Amazon is a VERY UNIQUE place to work and they truly want to make sure you would be a good fit.

After my onsite interview I heard back from them less than a week later with an offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I tried to negotiate my base salary, but they didn't budge.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

5-6 phone interviews. Then an in person interview with 6 people. They flew me out and paid for interview expenses. The interview experience was nice. My only issue is the recruiter left me a voice mail letting me know I didn't get the position. She hasn't returned my calls. I took two days off of work to fly out and interview. The respectful thing would be to return my call regardless of the outcome. A voice mail is very unprofessional.

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in December 2014.

Interview

Amazon recruiter proactively reached out to me and set up recruiter screen. Recruiter screen went well, so submitted me to several of his recruiting managers with open positions. Unfortunately, the recruiting manager that was the most interested was a perfect example of the stereotypical Amazon long-termer (10 years); super aggressive and confrontational. She spent 10 minutes pontificating about how hardcore she is as a manager and how she prides herself on being "direct"and quick to fire someone, if she doesn't think they are a "good fit". When I asked her about the tenure of her reports, she admitted that everyone on her team has been there less than a year... I knew very early in the interview, that I would never be willing to work for her. I believe she could tell and also declined.

Interview Questions

• How is recruiting @ Amazon better than @ your current employer?   Answer Question