Amazon Sales Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 17, 2017

3.7

15 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

Focused on company leadership principles. At lunch, two of the interviewers order beer, found this to be quite odd. Also had issues with setting up parts of the process, seemed like each week it was a new person in HR to interact with, a little unnerving. One of the interviewers came in the room, and nearly immediately set off a bad vibe. Felt like walking out after attempting to answer his questions.

Interview Questions

• Examples of when you...tied directly to corporate leadership principles   3 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon in November 2013.

Interview

Process:

First off, from soup-to-nuts, expect to spend 30-40 hours preparing for the process.

1. Initial phone screen w/ manager. Only time there were "typical" sales job questions in the process. Lots of questions on whether I was comfortable with the technology.

2. Second phone screen w/ employee who drilled into my background. "Tell me about a time when you had to do something different...". Dig deeper...and deeper...and deeper.

3. On-site interview. When the recruiter lined that up, they send you a "case study" that you have to build a presentation against. Essentially, it's the cherry email you'd never get from a customer. You have to spend a ton of time learning their technology as they expect their AE's to be able to go deep into the stack without a SA. You have 45 minutes to present to them in a mock sales call.

You also need to know the Amazon Leadership Principles and be prepared to talk about how your background meshes. After the presentation, this is where the balance of the day is spent. Put more time into this than you think you need to. This isn't the fluff like it is at most companies.

The on-site itself is presenting your case to a room of 6-7 people. After that, you go immediately into 1:1 interviews with each one of them where they are drilling into you and how you line up against the Leadership Principles. These go literally back-to-back and even interview through lunch. The last interview is their "bar raiser". Similar to a stress interview. The guy lacks the professional demeanor that everybody else showed (probably by design) and comes at you hard.

It's a brutal process - not bad, but very hard. The only negative I have is they won't give you any feedback either in the process or after. So, you have no idea where you hit the mark and missed. Given the 40 hours you spend on the process, it would be nice to get an idea on what was good and what wasn't.

Interview Questions

• The "bar raiser" will try to pick you apart. Plus, it's at the end of 5+ hours of non-stop interviews.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Herndon, VA) in June 2013.

Interview

Contacted via email for phone interview. Thinking it was a secretary scheduling the interview for her "boss". WRONG. It was just one person scheduling for another. Some 21 y/o punk called me. The interview lasted about 30 minutes during which I had a Q/A and found out that the only training was for phone interviews. Not understanding the answer I questioned further and was told "everyone does the phone interviews". Weird, I would think that they would be performed by hiring managers who have experience with that sort of stuff and train the staff on the products and services offered.
    The interview was done over a speaker phone and because of the horrible connection I had to keep asking him to repeat the questions. When I asked to be removed from speaker, he answered "I need it to type on my computer" Isn't that was pen and paper are for? Or better yet a headset? Professionalism was not a concern.

Interview Questions

• Asked if I had ever worked with the public, when I answered 'Yes' he asked further questions for inquiry. Come to find out what he meant to say was "The Public Sector" as opposed to the private. Meaning have I ever worked for the Government. Did you look at my resume? That's why I sent it to you.
      I applied for a job in sales, I was interviewed for a different job and was told by the fresh new hire that HE would not be recommending me for the position because he did not feel I met his standards. Sorry I do not talk like a Kardashian   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2012.

Interview

long interview, technical presentation during onsite, eating boxed lunch while being interviewed

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2011.

Interview

The interviewer seemed agitated from the beginning. I felt like it went pretty well but did not move forward in the process.

Sales Representative Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Tough, not personal. We'll trained interviewer. Won't let you get away with easy answers. Will drill down till satisfied. Come ready on their leadership agenda. They ask about it. Might show you a technical architecture that you will need to explain.

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in November 2015.

Interview

The process took 5 weeks, I received an email and an initial phonecall to gathered information. Then the first interview over the phone, it was an easy interview but I believe I was not prepared for it. All the people involved were very nice and professional. I was not familiar with interviews, but I think if you prepare your possible answers you will do fine.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about one time you have to make a decision without your boss´s authorization?   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)).

Interview

A competency based interview lasting 5 hours. 5 x 45 minute interviews including a "bar raiser" Told to prepare a number of examples to map against AWS philosophies of previous deep dive work experiences you think might be relevant. Amazon recruitment guidance says keep responses short and timely which in the end seemed to be the last thing they wanted. Deep dive responses required.....details details details was what was required. To be frank this is a very tedious interview process giving the candidate very little back in return in terms of what the job would actually be like if you got it. How you make a calculated decision to work for them is beyond me based on what you might read from their website...very little back in terms of company culture. Interviews need to be a two way street not one way....Whilst this is competency based interview it really does feel like luck if you managed to give relevant examples that might just meet the AWS philosophy of doing things.

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Amazon in August 2013.

Interview

Interview took place via phone, as I was living at a great distance from the States. The interviewer was very thorough and detailed in her questions, yet made me feel comfortable all the while. Didn't get an offer, even though my experience and skills qualified me for the position. I simply wasn't able to meet the geographical requirements of the position. The interviewer asked me to recontact her once I return stateside.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions. I was highly impressed by the interviewer's professionalism. She seemed to not ask silly questions like many interviewers do.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in September 2012.

Interview

After applying through their website I got invited to a telephone interview a week later.

Interview Questions

• Brief me through your resume   Answer Question
    • What do you know about Amazon Marketplace? What's the difference between Amazon Marketplace and Amazon.com?   Answer Question
    • Role playing: Imagine I am the owner of a toy store and you are a sales representative of Amazon Marketplace.   Answer Question