Amazon Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

3.1

90 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Systems Development Engineer - Special Projects Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (San Francisco, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me for role in Special Projects team. Job Description hardly matched to what I currently do but she mentioned that the hiring manager is interested in talking further and since it is Special Projects, most info cannot be disclosed

Got the first technical screening interview scheduled. It started with standard Amazon STAR based questions. He further asked Linux/Unix/Networking questions and there were hardly any questions which I couldn't answer correctly. At the end, there were three questions/problems in the Coding challenge. I got all three of them but took some time to think/complete the last one. I thought I did well but got the rejection email the next day, reason which is best known to Amazon

Interview Questions

• STAR Questions, Unix/Linux/Networking questions, Program to parse Access log and count etc   Answer Question

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

group orientation over the phone and using the internet to conduct meeting. Session consisted of going over the work expectations and requirements. More of an orientation than interview. None of the participants were required to speak.

Interview Questions

• No questions were asked. all in attendance were told due to outstanding work experience and resume, no individual inteview was required.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (San Francisco, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Initial HR phone discussion followed by a call with an engineer, discussing my background and asking me a linked list related question to code in their online interactive IDE. Their HR typically takes a week to get back with you, but they tend to be prompt about hitting this deadline. Onsite interview with 4 engineers - half had behavioral questioning while all had a white board challenge. 3/4 of the whiteboards were algorithms, half were systems design or feature design.

Interview Questions

• Implement deep copy on a linked list where nodes also have a pointer to a random other node.   1 Answer

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (San Francisco, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

I was flown to California for my 3rd interview with Amazon. It was the most unprofessional, unstructured experience I have ever encountered. All of the interviewers were under 25. They were eating hamburgers and using profanity during the interview . The interview started 35 minutes late. I am totally confused and shocked that this is the leadership of Amazon. I immediately knew I wasn't a fit for that culture..

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (San Francisco, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

The recruiter found me on linked in. The first phone screen had some basic stats questions but was mostly about past research. Hiring manager interview was pleasant and relaxed. Then there was about six face-to-face interviews.

Interview Questions

• What type of predictive model would best handle a wide variety of data issues. Extreme heteroscedasticity, bi or tri modal distribution’s, heavily correlated predictors…   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Did 2 phone screens - one was behavioral the 2nd was technical. Both reviewers seemed really nice. Got a generic rejection email after the technical even though I thought I answered the question ok in O(n). Asked for feedback but never heard back.

Interview Questions

• (there was slightly more to it, but basically) Given 2 character arrays, find the largest number of common elements   2 Answers

Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

3 phone screens, full day interview "loop", interviewers discuss among themselves and make a joint hiring decision. Offer received within a week of "loop". Whole process very compressed due to having other competitive offers in flight.

I was very impressed with the process, quality of the interviews and how the recruiting process was handled by HR/recruiter/hiring manager. I was on a tight timeline, the interview process quality ended up being a factor in my decision to join; "if this is how they run things, Im sure they get top-talent".

Interview Questions

• Lots of questions related to the "leadership principles"   1 Answer

AWS Partner Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Waste of time. Approached regarding a deeply technical role, so far below market salary as to be a show stopper. Also Amazon pays very little in cash as salary, does tapered "cash bonus". After that you get over priced stocks and silly low levels of cash. For this role they were looking for someone with good partnering experience, deep knowledge of all things AWS, deep big data experience, etc. All of which I have.

Interview Questions

• Asked about my deep tech skills in CI, Big Data, AWS, etc.   2 Answers
    • I asked about salary. That is when the BS came out.   1 Answer

Enterprise Solution Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Started with recruiter phone screen in Mid February and ended with a 7 hour long onsite interview in Mid April.

They are hiring a lot of solutions architect and they were trying me out for 2 different positions. Once I got through the first technical phone screen,

Phone Interview:

I was phone interviewed on my behavioral aspect based on situational questions: Example: Tell me about a time when you had to face an audience and what you did to keep their attention throughout the presentation.

Onsite Interview:
    They finally scheduled the onsite interview this week and I started with a presentation of my work sample. This was an hour long discussion with 4 interviewers in the room and one attending remotely. They stopped me at the right times and asked questions which I thought I explained pretty well, but some of them kept coming back to the concept which I had already explained.

The presentation was followed by an interview from an individual who was not part of the hiring team and he was doing the interview over video conference. I felt the connection was pretty poor and some of the time we were both talking at the same time and I felt he did not get all of my responses correctly. He was doing my behavioral interview again- asking situational question based on my experience. I really felt we could have simply done a phone interview and would have ended up with better experience.

Then the interview was followed by a technical team member who asked about different architectures and some white boarding. I felt I really did hit some topics well.

I was accompanied for and bought lunch by a junior team member. The lunch was not part of the interview.

The after noon session started by remote phone interview of another team member who was testing my business acumen. This was a pre-sales role and they wanted to know my attitude and business awareness of spotting potential business opportunities whenever we are dealing with clients.

Then the Hiring Senior manager and manager interviewed me separately to finish off the process. This was also part technical and part attitude based questions.

I thought I got a vibe that they might give me a shot at the end of the day, but I got an email the next day stating they are not going to move forward with any offer and could not give any feedback as well.

It was disappointing to not get through and I have been brooding on what it might have been, where had I gone wrong and on the wasted opportunity to work with the leader in IaaS. But I am richer for the experience and I hope they really fix the remote video calling interview, becaue I felt it killed my flow at many times and the interviewer might have had a better sense of me if he had been onsite with me or even over the phone, especially considering he was not even the member of the hiring team.

Interview Questions

• How joint queries work
      White boarding architecture for mobile application with hybrid cloud.   1 Answer

Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

A few phone screens and then several in person interviews. The phone screens were focused on Technical skills. The in person interviews were focused on leadership skills and presentation skills.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions around the leadership principles   1 Answer