Amazon Interview Questions in Seattle, WA | Glassdoor

3.4

3,048 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Creative Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

2 phone screens, then I was flown out to Seattle for an onsite. It's a full day interview beginning with a portfolio review to a panel. From there I had 1:1's with each person from the panel for an hour. The interview was 9am-5:30pm

Software Developer Engineer (SDE) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Started out by receiving an online assessment. After completing the assessment, I received another online assessment after a couple of days. A few days after completing that online assessment, I was invited for a group assessment on-site in Seattle.

I signed an NDA and cannot discuss specifics of the on-site interview.

Business Intelligence Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

Initial call with recruiter, followed by phone screening within 2 weeks. The hiring manager was pretty knowledgeable about Supply chain since position was related to Amazon Transportation service. Few basic questions followed by intense technical questions on SQL, R, Tableau. I find behavioral questions tough because he was insisting on quantified examples with Data. after technical questions, there were few mathematical teasers followed by few supply chain business scenarios questions. I found interview bit average since most of the time i was having tough time with the business process rather than technical questions. I got rejection email immediately a day after interview. Overall process was good.

Interview Questions

• Stats questions : what is ttest, forecasting and optimization techniques.
      Basic sql questions, most complex sql query written ever.
      R: visualization, data frames, matrices.
      Math: Probability and forecasting examples.
      Business scenario questions on transportation and supply chain.
      Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

Despite being a referral the process was really slow and stretched out over 6 weeks. They took time to schedule my final rounds and the recruiter was very un co-operative.

Interview Questions

• For any PM interview, they focus on leadership principles and some cases that are specific to the team that is interviewing you. I can understand their focus on leadership principles, but 5 people asking you examples of same situation is not the most efficient way to test a candidate. There are only so many examples of a specific situation that you can relate to from your past experience. What I dislike about their interview process is the way interviewers force you to come up with more stories for the same leadership principle. I expressed my concern with this and I guess this is why they didnt move forward.   Answer Question

Business Developer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

I wanted to contribute my experience since I could not find any data pertaining to the job role I was applying for at Amazon. My interview process consisted of 3 phone screens + an on-site loop interview in Seattle.

From the time I applied online to the time i received an email from Amazon about the job opportunity in Seattle was about 1 month. Amazon's internal recruiter scheduled the first phone interview with someone not directly related to the role, but was assigned to go over my resume and gather more details about my interest in the role and the other job opportunities I qualified for.

Phone Screen:

Phone Screen 1 - With an Account Manager. Very easy. We just discussed my background, went over my resume, and some very easy behavioral questions.

Phone Screen 2 - This phone interview was with the hiring manager. Hiring Manager asked about the research Ive done about Amazon and why I was the perfect candidate. We went over my past experience and some behavioral questions.

Received email from recruiter that the Hiring Manager decided on another candidate, but that the team that I originally spoke to in the first phone screen wanted to move forward.

Phone Screen 3 - A third phone screen was scheduled with another Hiring Manager from another team (apparently, if you don't make 1 cut, Amazon tries to push your resume through other teams). This phone screen consisted of Analytical Behavioral Questions (STAR).

A week later, I was informed that I passed and was flown to Seattle for a loop interview.

On-Site:

After successfully passing the initial phone screens, Amazon flew me to Seattle for an on-site loop interview. I met with a total of 6 Amazonians. Most were directly related to the role while others where from outside teams.

Im generally never nervous and can usually sell myself in-person when meting people given my background in Business Development. Given that, I had a great experience meeting all 6 Amazon employees. I connected with all employees, but was more concerned about impressing the Bar Raiser.

I was able to identify who was the Bar Raiser given his initial approach during the interview and how our conversation got started. The Bar Raiser introduced himself and went straight to "Tell me a time..." literally from the moment he walked in. (I knew then who had just walked in). From what i've read, the Bar Raisers are assigned to maintain Amazons culture and thus are looking for specific qualities in potential employees when saying "yes or no" to a candidate's application. They also have the power to Veto an application even if the other interviewers says yes to your candidacy.

Overall, I had a great experience during the interview process and accepted the offer.

Recommendation:

1. Study, Study, Study the 14 Leadership Principals. These principals will come up during the interview. You should have an example from your past experience that you can use for answering the behavioral question related to the principal Amazon may ask you for. I signed an NDA and cannot directly share the questions, but they are all related to the Leadership Principals.

Since I was applying for a Business Development Manager role, I didn't get any tricky questions or technical questions during my interview process. Most where analytical and behavioral.

2. Be mentally prepared for the length of time it takes from the moment you apply, to the moment you are flown to Seattle. My process took almost 3 months from application to offer. I had other offers pending from other companies that I had to turn down because Amazon was my first choice. I was confident I was going to land the job.

3. Prepare questions. This is very important as it will help you decide if Amazon is the right company for you. Although I asked questions during the phone screen, I has 2 questions each prepared for the 6 interviewers for a total of 12. The questions where directly related to the role while others where about Amazon processes and work/life balance.

Good Luck!

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Interview

I interviewed with this company almost three times. In fact, I was a little shocked by one of their recruiters. If they need me to apply online, they should tell me rather than fill my personal information without my permission. In particular, the information they filled (ex: applicant name, address and more ) is totally wrong. Moreover, this recruiter even forgot our interview appointment, it showed that she didn't care much of this interview and the applicant without an apology. Her English ability is a bit weak since I really spoke some simple words. In many aspects, this recruiter made me feel that she isn't quite professional.

Personally, I'm not sure why most of their interviewers are more emotional no matter they reject you or invite you for an opportunity. However, I appreciate they always replied me very fast. I still recommend people to apply to this company even though some situations may make you down.

Senior Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

The worst onsite interview experience ever.
    I applied for the senior data scientist position, and was phone screened by two hiring managers. Then, they scheduled the on-site interview in two consecutive days, half-day each because of some scheduling conflict and also because I am local.
    The first interviewer on the first day was a senior director for their data science and machine learning team. The first question he asked me was "I thought you are not at the senior level. If I compare you with the guys in my team, they have CS PhD on machine learning from Cornell, CMU. What is your competency comparing with them? One option you have is that you can start with an entry level, learn fast, and then be promoted to Senior level." OMG, have you done your homework? if you guys thought I am not at the level I am interviewing for, why do you invite me to onsite?
    The third interviewer was a disaster. He murmured when he was asking questions. He had no idea what he was asking for, he had no idea whether what he was asking has any feasible solution, or he just wanted to ask the interviewee to give him solutions that he has been looking for to address his own work problem.

Interview Questions

• If you can build a perfect (100% accuracy) classification model to predict some customer behavior, what will be the problem in application?   Answer Question
    • if the model is not perfect, how would you like to select the threshold so that the model outputs 1 or 0 for label?   1 Answer
    • Then, he asked what if the cost of false positive is 0?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

Absolutely the worst experience I've ever had. I applied through an employee referral, a friend high up in engineering, and waited...months...Two months, technically. Around the second month, I applied to a couple more positions posted online. Still nothing for another couple of weeks. Finally, I got a request to perform an online assessment. I had done these before, so no big deal. I finished. Basic code debugging, and I finished with a few minutes to spare with all cases passing. I took the time to ensure that before hitting submit. Then, the reasoning test. It was similar to those online IQ tests for pattern recognition. I was nervous about this one, but after settling in, I got the hang of it. The next day, there was an automatic rejection email in my box. How is that even remotely possible? I did well on both parts, even the "reasoning" questions. Did no human ever look over anything in this process? I know this is a large company, but it is INCREDIBLY insulting to be treated like this when I went through all the proper avenues. No phone interview, even. When I've applied in the past, I've at least had the courtesy of that much. I am outraged that this is how the company treats qualified applicants.

Interview Questions

• Just look up AMCAT questions. Go nuts. Won't do any good.   Answer Question

Senior Brand Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

This was the first interviewing phone call after the hiring recruiter. Asked to describe my background at a high level. After that it was your generally vague questions, "Describe a time when you had an idea that conflicted with your manager (or something)". I felt like the interview wasn't completely comfortable or a positive one with this individual.

Interview Questions

• How did you go above and beyond a projects original ask?   Answer Question

IT Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

It was so long . It takes forever like 5 hours
    Process is straightforward and little rude where they don't look at you but write everything on laptop. You will meet everyone in team and get their approval. They will come and show you how good they are and why they deserve to be at amazon , they would show their knowledge and humiliate you with your knowledge and let you know that amazon is for best brains only and if you say you can do the job 80% and rest 20 % you can learn they won't buy . They need perfection.

People at amazon are mostly young in comparison to other companies so you must be ready to work off hours , extra hours and ready to forget about your work and life balance. Amazon would reward you by good pay and bonus but they don't have much perks . No paternal leave, bad 401k and I don't know rest . Stock options are tempting but designed to rip employee . If you work 5 year then yes it's useful else no good .

Interview Questions

• Problem solving
      Expect lot of programming related questions
      Answer Question