Amazon Interview Questions in Seattle, WA | Glassdoor

3.4

3,424 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in October 2017.

Interview

Very positive until the second phone interview. The interview process was pretty much as described by other reviewers. First phone interview lasted almost an hour and went really well and I got an email to schedule a second interview the next day. Scheduled the interview for a week later and got a call from the interviewing manager about five minutes after the appointed time. She seemed completely inconvenienced by having to speak with me, did not try to establish a rapport (although I did), and seemed to be reading questions off of a standardized form. No follow up questions, she clearly didn't understand one of my answers so I had to go over the whole thing again, and after three questions it was over. I hung up the phone and knew I was dead.

I guess the lesson is no matter how well you prepare or how good you are your chances of getting hired are only as good as the person interviewing you. Had I spoken with a different person for the second interview, I think the outcome would have been different.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you changed marketing plans based on a client's feedback?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in October 2017.

Interview

Some behavior questions about how I solved challenges from my past projects. Some algorithms and one object oriented design. There are four rounds and tour before and after them, five minutes between each sessions.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

Had three rounds in total. I am a new grad. The first round was a debugging challenge with a quantitative test. The first round was pretty simple and anyone can clear that. The second round is a work simulation round and three coding challenge questions. This round was for 4 hours in total. A third party agency conducts this test for Amazon. Till now you wont interact with any of the SDE from amazon. The third round is an onsite where you need to work on a group assesment.

Interview Questions

• Debugging questions will be of 7 questions for 21 minutes. Ex: An array will be sorted in descending you need to change the code to sort it in ascending.   5 Answers
    • Coding Challenge 1) Find the longest palindromic substring from the given string. No need of DP solution.   6 Answers
    • Coding Challenge 2) You will be given N number of points as an array (CPPoint class). CPPoint class will have x and y coordinate. Find the closest k number of points from the origin.   7 Answers
    • Coding Challenge 3) You are given a linkedlist with next and arbitary pointers. Create a new linkedlist similar to the given linkedlist. You need to create a code for deep copy of a linkedlist.   8 Answers
    • Onsite Group Assesment. 1) Each team will be given three different answers for the same question. The question was to identify the best item in a given set of items. There will another point to note in the question if Item A is better than Item B and item B better than Item C, it does not mean item a is better than Item C. (Non transitive property). The goal is to identify the best solution by discussing with your team mates.   2 Answers
    • 2) This is the most important task in the group assesment where I think I would have failed. You will be given a code base with 30 Java files. There will be three milestones. Milestone 1) You need to find a way to map the products to shipping centers. The question was vague and I cant remember it exactly. This mapping can be done by identifying the cost of shipping for each area. Cost can in turn be calculated based on four different factors like air shipping, ground shipping and few others. Based on the customer requirement you need to make the products to shipping areas and return a list of product ids and their shipping cost list.   3 Answers
    • Milestone 2) Will ask to optimize by reducing the number of unfulfilled orders. The apis will be confusing and you will have two interviews during the coding session.   9 Answers

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Intense but very friendly. 5 - 6 interviews back to back in one day. They want to get to know you, to see if you would be a good fit. They want to know if you are an individual contributor at work. And whether or not you're able to move the ball forward in your respective job function. Every question they ask tries to get you to speak about how you deliver results.

Interview Questions

• Can you give me an example of how you took ownership over a project and delivered results.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Web coding screen into recruiter screen into full loop. Took a few months due to HR issues and scheduling issues from start to finish. Web coding comprised of 4-5 questions, and the full loop with 6 people in 5, 45 minute sections.

Senior Strategic Sourcing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

It is a very very long process. Overall, it felt like that the company have lots of money and time to spare. So they can afford to go through all of the steps without selecting the very fitful candidate. As a supply chain professional, I think the onsite interview process could be improved to save some costs. The process should reflect the supply chain leadership position Amazon have, be more efficient and cost effective.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

It was friendly interview with mainly behavioral questions and few basic SQL questions related to joints and union. The phone interview lasted for about 30 minutes, their was a bit delay in scheduling the phone interview as it took about 2 weeks to schedule the interview and get the phone interview done.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied for a position in Boulder, CO with Worldwide Advertising.

I completed an online coding challenge that was 2 questions in 90 minutes. For this portion, your code will tested against unit tests. You'd be able to see the inputs/outputs of a couple of the unit tests, but the rest you wouldn't. It was pretty similar to other online coding challenges. I got 1 problem passing with 12/13 unit tests and didn't get the other one.

Next up was the phone screen. This lasted roughly an hour and consisted of a couple of behavioral questions along with a coding problem done on a shared editor. For my first phone screen, I thought the interviewer was friendly, kind, and definitely wanted me to succeed. I believe I had the general approach down and most of the code. It wasn't perfect, but I think I showed I had the right idea and would get it.

After this, I was invited to have an onsite interview. My choices were a Monday or Friday in Seattle or wait until they had an onsite in Boulder. I was fine with either and they chose to fly me out to Seattle. They put me up in a hotel about a mile from the office that included breakfast in the rate. I got some say over the flight times and the travel company they used even allowed me to use my frequent flier account. I had four interviews.

The first onsite interview did not go well (data structures / algorithms + behavioral questions). They brought a laptop for me to use, but they spent 15 minutes of the 60-minute block trying to get the internet connection to work. We ended up using the whiteboard. After being given the problem, the interviewer immediately asked what my algorithm was. I replied that I needed to think about it, to which he retorted that he needed to know my algorithm. I drew out some quick sample inputs on the board that I could work through. The interviewer did not like how I drew them and insisted I redraw them to his liking. I came up with an approach and then proceeded to write code. While I was writing the code on the whiteboard, the interviewer interrupted me to let me know that I "need to write code or this won't go well for you." I replied that I'm writing code. Eventually, we ran out of time. At this point, he stated that there were "so many problems" with my code. Throughout this whole interview, he was letting out angry/frustrated sighs and interrupting me to reiterate things (like, "I need to know your algorithm" or "you need to write code" while I'm writing code). Maybe he was the "bar raiser" and this was all intentional, but I don't think it was. This guy was rude and mean. I later looked him up on and assuming I found the right guy, there was a chance I could report to him. Had that been the case and I was offered a job, I would not have accepted it.

The second interview was object-oriented design. This interviewer was much nicer. She also asked some behavioral questions.

Next up was the systems design interview. If you read the recommended book, it was exactly like they describe (they even used a question from it). This interviewer also asked a couple of behavioral questions.

The fourth interview was another object-oriented design question and behavioral questions.

Lastly, they had someone take me out to lunch. We just went to the onsite cafeteria. They say this isn't an interview, but don't believe it. I think this was an interview trying to gauge your motivation for wanting to work at Amazon and see if you'd be a good fit from a personality perspective.

After a few days, I was contacted by the lead recruiter and told they needed more data points and wanted to do an additional phone screen. This was then setup for the following week. This was exactly like the first phone screen (coding problem and a few behavioral questions).

Ultimately, I didn't get the job. It is their policy not to provide feedback and was told I could reapply in 9-12 months.

My advice would be to first read the recommended book. This will give you a good idea on how to approach the interviews in general. Multiple questions from my interview were in this book.

As far as the coding for the data structures and algorithms, go to Leet Code and work those. At least one of my problems was in there. You need to be able to solve Leet Code's algorithms problems (of difficulty medium) in an hour window. In retrospect, I should have spent more time on this aspect.

Lastly, the recruiters will tell you to have 5-6 examples that show their leadership principals. The problem here is that over the course of 6 interviews, each asking at least two behavioral questions, you'll quickly run out of examples. Reusing the same examples is not good. Also, over the course of two months, it was hard for me to remember what examples I used.

In general, the recruiters will give you great advice.

Operations Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I applied online in Spring 2017. The interview process lasted 2 months. 1 HR screening, 1 phone call with a Product Manager, 1 tech screening with the Director of FEDS and then on-site. The on-site interview included a presentation and five individual talks. The interviewers were extremely nice. The position required expertise in optimization and my background was not a good match. It was a great experience and I understood what I was lacking.

Interview Questions

• Modeling optimization problems and machine learning algorithms   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

3 rounds of phone screens. First was simple phone screen, last 2 were behavioral and small case questions. No technical or sql test.

Received an offer 1 week after final round of interview. Whole process took less than a week

Interview Questions

• Explain to me why the prime student discount is a good system   Answer Question