Amazon Interview Questions in Seattle, WA | Glassdoor

3.4

3,315 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

Went through a total of 10 interviews with managers and recruiters. During the interview process Amazon recruiters advise that there is a potential for the interviewing managers not to show as they are "very busy". Two interviews of the 10 resulted in one no show and one 20 minutes late. 1) this should give you and indication where their priorities are at..certainly not with the employees or candidates 2) an effective interview process of 2-3 persons should be the max needed to make an assessment of a candidate. As Amazon is hiring thousands of people it is stretching their teams to conduct so many interviews of a single candidate.

Again due to the growth, turn over is very high for personnel moving interdepartmentally or choosing to leave the company. Managers don't know from one day to the next who will still be in their department.
    Ultimately did not choose to go with Amazon due to the above.

The interview process was 90% one sided with interviewers asking behavioral and situational based questions. Very little time left for a candidate to - likewise - assess if Amazon or the job is a fit for them. A more balanced approach may allow candidates to assess the environment, role and culture which is essential to take into consideration with Amazon.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared to use the STAR method to answer questions about successes, failures (learnings).   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

The process included two online challenges and an onsite interview. The coding questions were of ample difficulty. The onsite interview was excellent. The people were all very enthusiastic. Be prepared for any and all data structure and algorithms questions. Be sure to know all the Big O notations. Know all the projects you've been on and what difficulties you've faced and overcame. Lastly, have a good time.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

Interviewed for AWS team.

First round was a 2 question online screen. Both questions were not that hard. One was related to strings and other was DFS.

Was invited on-site after the online-test. They put me in a good hotel in Downtown Seattle. Had 4 rounds back to back. Questions were easy. One was a hard round with DP (bar raiser?)

Didn't get the offer. Sad thing is they don't give feedback. Even though you nail the technical questions, the behavioral ones are a pain where you have to imagine being in a situation even if you have not experienced it at work before.

Tips: Practice strings, trees, graphs, linked lists, DPs, System Design, and behavioral.
    Sources for prep: CTCI, Leetcode

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

Well, I got referred by one of my friend and my resume got picked. HR reached out to me saying that he would call me and talk to me about the job role. After that I had two phone calls, one of which was purely SQL, EXCEL and few data mining related questions, and the other call was mostly data driven, behavioral, case studies. These three rounds ( including HR call) took about a month to complete. Well, thats a loooong time and I was already stressed out. But I had another offer by that time, which wanted me to start working ASAP and I did inform the HR about my situation and they fast forwarded my process. HR reached out to me on the same day I finished my third call and told me that they would call me onsite. The same week I was called to the office. Yes, they did take care of me in every which way(Hotel, transport, food and miscellaneous)

Onsite, like everybody else I was nervous but you know what? DON'T BE. The interviewers are gonna make you feel as comfortable as possible. HR had already given me the list of interviewers whom I looked up on linkedIn and had prepared myself for. The interviews over the phone are already your filter in for the company. So, you have to go beyond your capabilities to spoil the onsite interview. By which I mean, Onsite interviews are pretty chill and not really that scary. It's the same you know. They just want to know how you handle the stress because Amazon is HUGE. They have crazy loads of work and they are judging you on how calm and how can you manage yourself in a situation put like that AND that's why they have 5 to 6 back to back interview round onsite. (Behavioral, SQL, your projects, data driven, Case studies)

Don't don't forget to go through Amazon Leadership Skills, its EVERYTHING. Answer your questions through STAR methodology. Build a situation for yourself for every question asked and answer it like a story.

Trust me, people say if you know how to talk you can kill the interview but you need to have context to talk. Too much is also way too much sometimes. Answer for what is asked and don't try to outsmart the people who are interviewing. Keep calm, get yourself some water and keep drinking it. IT WORKS.

Be positive. And, All the best :)

Interview Questions

• SQL- Joins, Group by, order by, Index, Normalization, RAID. Excel - Pivot, Lookups   Answer Question

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

2 phone screens and then the onsite interview. Phone screens are based on SQL and data modelling. Onsite interviews are based on SQL, ETL, Data modelling and behavioral questions. Overall, the experience was good except one of the onsite interviewers.
    Total 5 onsite interviews. 4 of them were very nice. Good people to interact with.
    1 of them was extremely rude, highly unprofessional in the whole interview. He kept pressurizing me and at each step behaved like he was being forced to take this interview. He once even said, "This is a very bad habit (of yours). You are wasting my time". He was literally yelling at me. I felt like walking out of the interview, but I kept calm.
    This was the worst interview I have ever appeared for and sadly it came from Amazon. If Amazon really thinks about the 'candidate experience', I would strongly suggest not to include this extremely unprofessional man on interview panels so that at least future candidates do not suffer the way I did.
    Hence even when other interviewers were very nice, this one interview made the experience terrible. I later found that this rude guy worked in the same team I was interviewing for. So declining the offer was a no-brainer.

Interview Questions

• Leadership principles related questions. Can't mention the exact questions since I signed the NDA.   Answer Question

SDE1 Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied online to work at Amazon. They responded a few days later with an online coding exam. I signed a non-disclosure agreement, so I won't divulge the actual questions, but this exam had to do with debugging existing code and finding errors.

I was contacted again after my results were in. This time, I was to take a more complex coding test. This comprised of management/scenario questions, then after that we were given a parameter and told to write some code out. This was significantly more difficult than the first exam, and it had edge cases that we had to work out, given we met the time parameters.

Next, I was flown out to Seattle, WA for an interview. Here, we were given three interviews. The questions consisted of about 20% soft skills, and 80% coding skills. For the technical questions, we were required to write out more than just pseudocode; they wanted to actually code it.

Overall, I found the interview to be pleasant; everyone that I talked to was extremely nice, and they made me feel very welcome. However, I was not extended a job offer.

Business Intelligence Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

Interview

It took 4 weeks from getting phone screen invitation to getting the offer package.
    The entire process was very efficient and profession except for the last recruiter who was responsible for informing me the final dicision.

Interview Questions

• 1. Some SQL join queries
      2. Very basic Python coding
      3. Data warehousing concepts
      4. Behavior questions   Answer Question

Senior Program Manager Interview

Application

Interview

I had 3 phone interviews before an all day, in-person interview with the hiring manager, the division manager, as well as a team member and 4 other people in related groups. The all day event included Amazon-paid for lunch, but was exhausting and honestly turned me off the company quite a bit. We were in a conference room for 45 minute sessions with each individual. Each person asked questions from a laptop, from a proscribed list (with follow-ups) and took notes the entire time. Very little eye contact, very little effort put in actually getting to know you or assessing you for cultural fit. All questions were pretty standard behavioral interview questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about an innovation you implemented and what was innovative about it?   Answer Question

Staffing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied on the website. A few weeks later a recruiter in Seattle called me. He scheduled a phone interview and a short questionnaire. We had a brief conversation and he let me know he felt I was a good fit. My next phone interview would be with the hiring manager. That interview was scheduled quickly. I had a 45 min convo with him. He was hard to read, so I am waiting to find out if I am selected for the next round. He asked a couple behavioral questions and gave me more info regarding the position.

SDE2 Interview

Application

Interview

I was contacted by the Manager on LInkedIN explaining the position and general questions. Once I agreed for an interview, the recruiter contacted me and sent me a OA assessment.
    OA Assesment consisted of 2 Coding questions : Easy to Medium questions (ADT and Graphs) and few behavioral questions. Heard back from the recruiter in 2 days that I had passed the test and was selected for an on-site interview.
    Recruiter called me and gave me more information about the position, asked me a few behavioral questions and very basic data structure/ algorithm questions (CS101).
    I was then transferred to a coordinator who arranged my trip and the logistics. They put me up in a boutique hotel in DT Seattle close to everything. Amazon has a lot of buildings in DT Seattle and it is easy to get confused about the venue, I strongly recommend arriving 30 mins prior to the interview time.
    On Site Interview: Met around 7 Amazonians, all were really nice and loved what they were doing. The interview consisted of 1 System Design, 3 Coding Interviews. Each interviewer spent 10-15 mins minutes going over behavioral questions. The second half of the interview was whiteboarding, follow up questions, pros and cons of my data structure selection and testing.
    One thing to keep in mind is the interviewer is there to help you, don't get intimidated by them. The want you to succeed in the interview.

The recruiter and the coordinator were very nice and helpful throughout the process. Even though I didn't get the job, I had a very pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

• Go through the principles of leadership as each interview has some behavioral questions in it.
      Practice coding on whiteboard, it is very different from solving it in an IDE or online.
      Go through the LeetCode questions and read about scalable system design questions.
      Concentrate on Graph, Binary Tree, HashMap, Stacks, Queues and Arrays etc..   Answer Question