Amazon Interview Questions in Seattle, WA | Glassdoor

3,241 Interview Reviews

3.4

3,241 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2013.

Interview

Called out of the blue, asked if I'd be interested in interviewing. Still not entirely sure how they got my name. Had first phone interview the next week, asked no personal questions, all technical in nature. Total of 3 phone interviews and an in-person trip out to Seattle.

Took about 4 months start to finish. The people in the in person interview were wonderful. Very smart, laid back, and understanding. Got lunch, small tour of campus, and learned what I'd be doing. Got the offer 2 business days after the in person interview.

Sadly, I signed a NDA and I respect the terms of that. As such, I can't give you any specific questions, but I'll gladly give you the best advice I have.

Phone Interviews :

Phone interviews are sucky by nature. Coordinating a call from west to east coast alone is painful, add the fact that phones just take away the benefits of body language, and just make it harder to hear, and you've got a recipe for disaster. But fear not! Here are some helpful hints, some of which are obvious, some of which are not.

1. Get ready ahead of time. I just mean, get to the area you'll be doing the interview beforehand. I'd recommend an hour or more, just to get your nerves ready. Breathe, get used to the surroundings, and get everything laid out ahead of time. Which brings me to...

2. I know it's a "programming" interview, but for the love of all things good, have a pen and paper ready and at your disposal. Bring a backup pen. Much like a printer, the pen will fail at the worst possible time. You may also need a laptop, as I was asked to do "on the fly" programming. But close anything and everything distracting. Speaking of...

3. Pick a spot where there are no distractions. You'll want your undivided attention on this interview. Don't have BookTweet or FaceSpace or MyGram or that crap open if you have a laptop. And I personally wouldn't pick a public space, you never know when an annoying parent will put their screaming child right beside you.

4. Breathe. Just breathe. Take a moment, stretch, and remember you got this. If you have trouble hearing, don't be afraid to ask again. Don't be afraid to say you don't know. Do as for clarifications, and state assumptions up front. Always re-state the problem as you understand it.

As for the content : For the love of God, know what a time complexity is, and how to determine it for any and all code you write. Know the time complexities of all sorts. Know all data structures, how to use them, and properties of each. (Insertion time, deletion, etc) Generally know what heck you're talking about. But don't talk too much. You don't want silence at any point really, but you certainly don't want to let the interviewer not get a word in. Know graph theory, tree theory, and all the fun stuff associated with more "complex" structures. Understand what your language does behind the scenes, as far as GC and compiling go. Know how your language use internal structures to manage the code/objects you write.

**Continued below**

Negotiation

As a recent grad, there wasn't much room for negotiation.

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in December 2015.

Interview

Step 1:
    Got an email from Amazon recruiter that they saw my profile matching with their requirement and interested to see whether am willing to proceed with interview process. I said why not, as Amazon in one of my dream company to join with. I replied back with all required details and resume.

Step 2:
    After one week I got an email for first phone interview. Which was technical round. The guy who interviewed me was senior development engineer and interview went for 1 hour. It was perfectly planned and he was very nice guy and has experience in taking interview for sure.

Step 3:
    After one week from first phone interview, i got an email stating, they liked talking with me and willing to proceed with second phone interview. I have replied and they scheduled me second technical phone interview in a week. Now, Senior technical project/program manager took the interview and it was really interactive and went very smooth. It was more of behavior and scenario related questions and he helped here and there to provide the lead to answer. It was only for 40 mins as that manager was busy with some other important work to do. But it was great. He informed me right away that he liked me and he will ask recruiter to schedule next round as a pure technical.

Step 4:
    After 5 days, I got an email for Final Phone interview, and this will be pure technical. I provided my availability. In meantime when I was waiting for final phone interview, I got an email stating they willing to fly me to Seattle amazon.com office for in person interview. There you go.

Step 5:
    All arrangements done in 2 days and I flew to their office for in person interview. There were totally 6 interviews, each 45 mins. In between there was one lunch meeting with manager from different team. All interviewers were very cool and process oriented. I studied many reviews and comments from glass door and other websites. But its not really that bad as they have pointed out. Amazon has a process to note each and every word you say to decide your ability. So I don't think their activity to type what you say while the interview in process is bad at all, because they are recording it for future decision. So I really agree they have their process which is working well for them and I felt good. Most of the questions were behavior, given scenario, your past experience, technical, design, architecture related. It started at 9:30 and ended at 4 PM with 5 mins break between some interview.

Overall it was great experience to me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

Had three rounds in total. I am a new grad. The first round was a debugging challenge with a quantitative test. The first round was pretty simple and anyone can clear that. The second round is a work simulation round and three coding challenge questions. This round was for 4 hours in total. A third party agency conducts this test for Amazon. Till now you wont interact with any of the SDE from amazon. The third round is an onsite where you need to work on a group assesment.

Interview Questions

• Debugging questions will be of 7 questions for 21 minutes. Ex: An array will be sorted in descending you need to change the code to sort it in ascending.   5 Answers
    • Coding Challenge 1) Find the longest palindromic substring from the given string. No need of DP solution.   5 Answers
    • Coding Challenge 2) You will be given N number of points as an array (CPPoint class). CPPoint class will have x and y coordinate. Find the closest k number of points from the origin.   6 Answers
    • Coding Challenge 3) You are given a linkedlist with next and arbitary pointers. Create a new linkedlist similar to the given linkedlist. You need to create a code for deep copy of a linkedlist.   7 Answers
    • Onsite Group Assesment. 1) Each team will be given three different answers for the same question. The question was to identify the best item in a given set of items. There will another point to note in the question if Item A is better than Item B and item B better than Item C, it does not mean item a is better than Item C. (Non transitive property). The goal is to identify the best solution by discussing with your team mates.   2 Answers
    • 2) This is the most important task in the group assesment where I think I would have failed. You will be given a code base with 30 Java files. There will be three milestones. Milestone 1) You need to find a way to map the products to shipping centers. The question was vague and I cant remember it exactly. This mapping can be done by identifying the cost of shipping for each area. Cost can in turn be calculated based on four different factors like air shipping, ground shipping and few others. Based on the customer requirement you need to make the products to shipping areas and return a list of product ids and their shipping cost list.   3 Answers
    • Milestone 2) Will ask to optimize by reducing the number of unfulfilled orders. The apis will be confusing and you will have two interviews during the coding session.   9 Answers

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Two phone screens, five hour onsite with eight different employees including hiring manager, peers and others outside the team. 95% of interactions were based on computer-generated questions that are meant to gather data on your alignment with company leadership principals. 5% actual human interaction, which is not factored into decision. Interview process is cold and robotic, as you are carefully recounting stories in a dry, repetitive format, while the interviewer feverishly attempts to write down every word you say. This is the case for both phone screens and in-person interviews, which is even more strange and uncomfortable. Two to four page writing sample based on the same bank of leadership principal questions is required to be submitted two days prior to onsite interview.

Received coaching from former Amazon employee, did extensive research, including preparing six pages of case studies and career vignettes. Made it to onsite interview, and felt that the interviews went very well (considering the extremely dry and impersonal format) and that I gave strong answers to each question. Was notified by email the next morning after the onsite that the hiring manager was going to "pursue other candidates." No additional feedback was provided and recruiter blew off scheduled follow up call.

Putting aside the feeling of rejection that naturally comes with not getting the job, I ultimately came away from this experience turned off by the culture and process. After a few days I felt relieved that I would not have to address the many concerns this process raised for me, including work/life balance, "fast-walking" everywhere and a generally high-pressure culture. In this next career move my goals is to accomplish great things with fun, passionate people who are smarter than me and that I can learn from. I did not get that impression from the people I met with.

Seller Support Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Selected by recruiter for hiring event. Interview started with a writing assessment portion and to three rounds of one-to-one. Interviewers selected pre-written questions that related to previous experience and asked for specific examples. However interviewers were more interested in getting answers into their laptops than actually getting to know candidates. Really felt that the company is looking for the "right answer" more so than personality. It's no wonder why other reviewers thought they were expendable to the company.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time that you dealt with an angry customer. How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

3 phone interviews (including 1 with the hiring manager and recruiter)
    1 writing sample
    6 on-site interviews at HQ (including 1 with a bar raiser that checks you're better than at least 50% of current Amazonians of the same level)

Most of the interviews are based on Amazon's leadership principles. I found it a great opportunity to reflect on one's professional and personal experiences, and learn if one is a good fit for Amazon's culture too. My recruiter also generously invested time helping me better prepare by explaining every leadership principle and providing concrete examples.

Although I didn't accept Amazon's kind offer, I really enjoyed meeting with the Kindle content team! From my conversations with the director, hiring manager and peer PMs on the team, I was impressed by the hiring manager's willingness to invest in his team's professional growth, and the Kindle team's collaborative culture e.g. the Kindle PMs meet regularly to give each other feedback.

Interview Questions

• When you were working on [experience X], what did you find surprising?   2 Answers

AWS Customer Service Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

It begins with a phone interview. The recruiter that I had asked questions in a way where I wasn't sure he was finished talking. Until there was an uncomfortable silent pause. Like he was reading and just shooting off questions from his paper.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Received email from Amazon saying they were looking for people and if I was interested to go to with a link to two online programming questions. I answered the first one with a pretty bad solution, and the second one I didn't even do. Yet surprisingly, I received an email they would fly me out to Seattle for for the in person interview. I was surprised, I did horrible on the online questions yet they we're still willing to fly me out to Seattle all costs paid, I thought I had a pretty good chance.

I get there and I interview with four people. The first one went pretty good except he wanted me to explain something specific to a NoSQL database I mentioned I had experience with. I gave a broad explanation but he kept asking how does X technology where the data is. I think he was looking for another answer, he just couldn't formulate the question for what he was looking for, he had heavy Indian accent.

The second guy was the hiring manager, cool guy, I think I answered all his behavioral questions as well as the technical with the correct answers.

The third guys had a difficult question, by this point I was a bit tired, and the guy was a little bit condescending so I didn't put that much effort. The question was along the lines of you are given a list of tickets they contain departure and arrival and date. Method has to return the full itinerary. I gave some wrong solution building a string.

Then the final interview a guy and a woman came in and asked me a graph related question. I was able to answer 100% and then they asked me a few variations of question throwing wrenches. I was able to answer all of them.

After I finished I really thought if they had been willing to fly me out across the country, I am in the east coast, and I had done horrible on the initial programming question and did pretty good on the in person interview, I would get hired. I don't think a lot of people can answer all these questions flawlessly after flying out for 8+ hours and whiteboard programming for 5+ hours. But after two days I received a call saying they decided to move forward without me.

I wasn't really that motivated to change jobs. I am making good money where I am at now, and I live in an area with beautiful weather. They would have had to come with a significant offer for me to move to that god forsaken city. So I just went for the free trip. But if you have an interview coming up make sure you do perfectly on all four interviews otherwise these guys don't mind flying you out and wasting your time to tell you they are going to move forward. I think they are looking for top talent and they are willing to waste money flying people to Seattle.

P.S If you've never been to Seattle, this city is horrible. It's cold, it's always raining, it's full of hills, there's nothing to do apart from that ugly needle, and one minute you will see everyone walking and they are all in suits and professionals and the next minute you are surrounded by drug addicts. Everywhere you go there are passive aggressive comments against tech people like you because you are bringing up the COL for them. Everything really is expensive. The food sucks. Overall it's crap ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Interview Questions

• Given list of tickets with start location and end location and date return list in order. Account for
      Trips same day.
      1 Answer
    • Asked to analyze run time of tree traversals.   Answer Question
    • Write method to determine if tree is mirror.

X
      X. X. Is mirror

X
          X. X
      X. Not mirror
      Answer Question

Senior Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Very good interview process. all the interviewers were good and wanted to know more about your skillset and capabilities. They want to know more about leadership capabilities and your role as a leader

Interview Questions

• what is the most innovative thing you have in your projects till date   1 Answer

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter via my LinkedIn profile. He requested a resume, and then within a day asked to schedule a phone screen. The phone screen was a little choppy because they were using a new tool similar to codepen that allowed your code to be evaluated while on the call.

The review was pleasant enough, and--in spite of not being prepared for the low-level java implementation questions--I made it to an on-site.

The on-site is where my experience diverged from expectation. Having heard that you are interviewed for multiple roles by a range of people, I was fully prepared and excited for that. I my case, there was only one role, and all but one of the interviewers were from that team. Since none of them were senior engineers, they had a hard time engaging my questions and thought processes, which made the conversations rather awkward and stifling.

By the time I met with the engineers from a different team, I was a bit off balance, and felt like I didn't shine.

The last interview was with the person who would have supervised me, and we both expressed that it didn't seem like a fit right now.

Interview Questions

• Can you write a parallel merge sort?   1 Answer