Amazon Senior Business Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 17, 2018

3.4

14 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in December 2017.

Interview

Completed three phone screenings for two different teams, then competed an on-site interview. All on-site interview questions relate to the amazon leadership principles. If you are looking for a collaborative interview process where you are able to ask questions to determine if this is the right fit for you, this is NOT the company. Many of the interview sessions left less than 5 minutes to ask questions. The interviewer also does not engage and simply types your answer away on their computer - no eye contact. Amazon is determining if they want you, they do not care if you want to work there back, they just assume you should want to work there.

If you have any doubt this is a massive company, a member of the team could not gain access to the floor for the actual in person interview resulting in it needing to be rescheduled to a phone interview the next day and the recruiter giving no expectations that it would require a code sharing session.

Over all bad experience that left me little desire to leave a fun start up to join the Goliath of Amazon. When visiting Seattle it became clear in talking to residents that you seem to either work for Amazon or hate the company. They also do not ask for salary expectations but when going on site, it became apparent it would be below my base at my current position in a different state.

Interview Questions

• What interview question would you answer differently now?   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in May 2017.

Interview

Call with AWS recruiter followed by call with fill-in for hiring manager due to an unforeseeable circumstance. Recruiter unable to understand that when scheduling a call for a position in Boston, assume that the applicant is using EST, as opposed to the recruiter's time zone, which was PST. When speaking with a fill-in for the hiring manager, the interviewer answered my questions poorly. When I asked "Do you have any concerns about my ability to be successful in this position?", the response was "Nothing jumps off the paper". 2 hours later, I receive an email saying they aren't moving forward. Lying is not a great look for Amazon.

Interview Questions

• Have I ever been a part of a project where I had to present a deliverable that did not fulfill the requirements? If so, how did I follow-up and respond?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Amazon appears to pride itself on jumping you through lots of hoops and hand you off between a number of people. I've interviewed with around 15 people at this point and been told that I was a fit at every level. Multiple times I was told that the role had been filled internally while I was speaking with each new team. Multiple times I was asked if I'd be interested in a different role.
    I restated my salary requirements at every level and confirmed that they had my salary requirements stored in their records.
    After 4 months of being told they understand what I'm looking for and that I'm a fit for every role I've interviewed for (5 at last count) they told me they wanted me for a role but couldn't get anywhere near my salary requirements. No problem that you don't want to pay for quality employees. That's why you're working on robots. Cool. But why waste my time.
    Then they call me back and say "are you still interested in other positions". I say I am but my salary requirements are still the same and I don't want to waste their time and they explain that for my title there is no way for them to get anywhere close to my current salary. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would waste their own time like this. I'm not entitled to this salary but I made it clear that I'm not interested in their job unless they can pay me for it. Where is the disconnect.

Interview Questions

• All the questions I was asked sounded like they were read off a screen of pre-approved questions. "Tell me about a time when you had to deliver on a tight deadline", "Tell me about a time when you had to change your direction based on your findings". Just the standard things that you hear in every interview. None of the ridiculous testing of skills that you hear about from amazon mythology.   1 Answer

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Amazon in August 2016.

Interview

They emailed me out of the blue regarding three similar positions. I was interested, so I responded immediately, and we had completed the phone interview within 72 hours of the initial email they sent me.

The questions were very fair, the process was efficient, the interviewer (recruiter) was patient but to the point. It left me with a favorable impression of amazon's standards and values, and their candidness which many large companies seem to lack.

Interview Questions

• Describe an end to end life cycle, a business problem, or data-centric program that you were in charge of, and saw through all the way   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2016.

Interview

Submitted resume and was contacted by recruiting coordinator who would not send me an email or clearly state her name - only a phone #. Pleasant screening interview where she told me she did not think I would fit the position I applied for and had another one for me. OK - Fine. That is her job - not a problem there. Job #2.

Was then passed on to second recruiter who provided incorrect job information (a third job) in email for phone screen with hiring manager. Thus, to recap - 1st recruiter identified another position (job #2) for me but second recruiter forwarded a confirmation of a third, technical position that I was not qualified for. Trying to be proactive I called the second recruiter and pointed out the potential discrepancy. She mentioned that the team might have wanted to talk to me about the first position anyway...or potentially the 3rd... and it would be cleared up.

????

OK - it is Amazon I told myself, they must know what they are doing and if I can interview with somebody that would be great.

Interview with hiring manager was actually pleasant and professional - a get to know you interview. I made a few missteps in the conversation that likely prevented me from going to second round. That is on me and I accept that and learned from that.

However, at the end of the conversation with the hiring manager he told me that he was interviewing me for a 4th job!!!

My answers were my answers to some of the questions. However, like we all do we try to tailor responses or highlight certain skills based on the position. I likely went too technical based on what I thought I was applying for...even though I did not want that particular job to begin with....

I do not blame the hiring manager for any of this - the right hand does not seem to know what the left hand is doing on the recruitment side however.

Perhaps I should have even confirmed that job at the outset and this is partially my fault.

Advice that I would never have thought to even consider before - confirm with the interviewer (even if subtlety) what job you are interviewing for. Not sure at all how typical this is at the company or if I was just the unlucky candidate that caught caught in this morass.

Cannot talk about future steps since I did not make it past that first round.

Interview Questions

• Talk to me about your background and walk me through your resume and interests.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in November 2015.

Interview

I had a 15 minute phone conversation with the recruiter who asked me no questions. Basically she was selling the job to me, and saying how great it is at amazon. After this I had a 1 hour phone interview with the hiring manager. A month later, I flew into Seattle for an in person interview. I met with 9 people over 7 hours.Also, I met with the recruiter first who explained their compensation model (which is based on six sigma, for sure. signing bonus paid out monthly as long as your are employed there, low annual salary - I was told nobody at any level makes more than $130K, large stock package which vests over 4 years but not equally per year. So, if you only make it 2 years as is the case with most companies you would vest 50%. This is not the case at amazon. Given your likelihood of surviving 2 years is pretty low, if you do make it then much less than 50% will vest during that time frame. Then I met with 8 other people, with the most senior and technical people towards the end (endurance is key...don't fizzle at the end! ). 2nd to last interview was the director of the group and the very last interview was the most technical. I was told that this group works 50-55 hours/week which is very much at the low end within amazon. So, if you want to make it then you better show a willingness to work long hours. Many of the behavioral questions seemed to be aimed at determining how scrappy and thick skinned you are. If you are timid then this most likely will not work for you. it's clear they are looking for smart, driven, aggressive, thick skinned people.

Interview Questions

• (1) Tell me about a project where you were innovative. (2) Tell me about a project that you worked on that was disruptive or ground breaking. (3) How do you feel about having to present and defend your work? (4) Tell me about a statistical model you built. what slopes your regression? (5) how do you handle missing values.? I'm not sure why but 7 out of the 9 people asked me question #1. I'm not sure if they were just not well coordinated or if they were testing me for consistency. .   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in August 2013.

Interview

The first call was a 20 minute screening call from HR to make sure I had interested. I then interviews with the hiring manager. I didn't get through the next round, but it would have been with another manager level person on team. The final round would have been the in-person in Seattle. The HR interview was simple. It was essentially to confirm whether what I said in my application was actually true. They asked me one question on my current role, to give an example, and I believe it was merely to make sure I was articulate and could speak to my skills confidently.

Interview Questions

• The interview with the hiring manager was tough. Every example was broken down to the nitty gritty. The manager apologized beforehand and said that he would interrupt me, not to be rude, but to delve deeper into what I was saying. By nitty gritty I mean, actual excel functions I would perform to get to a certain point in the analysis. This was the difficult part because I realized that if my example was not rich or detailed enough, I would not have anything to say if the manager delved deeper beyond a point.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2012.

Interview

Never talked to a real recruiter. Dumped into a phone interview with who I thought was the recruiter and ended up being the hiring manager. Must be intentional to shake people up a bit!! The interview process was grueling to say the least. Hours of interviews answering the same questions over and over. It really felt like an interrogation and not a place where I felt welcomed to continue my career. The manager was argumentative and insulting. I was actually surprised I was offered that job. I declined due to the poor poor experience. Who would ever want to work for somebody like that?!!

Interview Questions

• No specific question. Just rude, abrupt and lacking interpersonal skills.   Answer Question

The interview experience was terrible.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in October 2011.

Interview

The interview process reflected the company's focus on analytical skills. The company had well-established and robust processes, which were impressive. The HR team that interacted with me was courteous and helpful. They took into account my constraints and were flexible in adapting to them. I was impressed with their office and the complex.

Interview Questions

• Describe a good report layout you would propose to senior management that helps analyze the business in a meaningful manner   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in July 2011.

Interview

Its a month to 45 day process total from first HR email to final offer.

Interview Steps:
    1. Phone Technical Interview -- For Business Analyst on SQL, Excel, VBA, Data Analysis, Business KPI etc
    2. Phone Hiring manager Interview -- Similar to above but more business case studies and analysis than technical.
    3. Full day onsite Interview -- Expect 5 to 8 interviews with different people (various teams you will be working with). More technical and business questions. The first one would be with the HR and will be a soft skills interview.
    4. Lunch Interview with Hiring manager -- One of the 5 to 8 onsite interviews will be a lunch interview with the hiring manager.

Few personal/non-technical/business questions...Mostly technical and business questions.

Common non technical questions:
    1. Why Amazon?
    2. What work culture do you expect?
    3. Strengths and weaknesses
    Etc

Interview Questions

• Explain a business analysis situation that you faced in your previous job that was most challenging and how did you tackle it and what did you learn and what was your strength to solve it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Yes. Very small wiggle room for negotiation for the base pay. A big portion of Amazon compensation comes from RSU and Signon bonus. So if you want a good base pay, your biggest chance of getting it is during hiring. The yearly increase in base pay is very very small after employment.