Amazon Senior Financial Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Senior Financial Analyst Interview Questions

Updated May 16, 2017

3.6

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

A recruiter reached out and conducted an initial screening. Phone call with hiring manager was setup for the following week. The position did not align as well with my background.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you were innovative.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon in April 2017.

Interview

The interview was over the phone with a person from a finance department. In order to prepare for the interview I reviewed the comments on Glassdoor (three types of questions: behavioral, technical, company-specific), looked at the annual report, company news, read a book "One Click" and analysed the job description.
    The interviewer was asking questions for 20-25 minutes, I used remaining 20 minutes to ask about the job and the division.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Tell me about a conflict at work. Tell me about your partnerships at your previous jobs. Tell me about a challenge and how you overcame it. Tell me about a process you improved. Tell me about a complex financial model you prepared.   1 Answer

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Contacted by a director on LinkedIn and asked to send my resume to the recruiter if I'm interested in working for Amazon. The recruiter responded a week later saying the hiring team is interested in interviewing me. From there, I had to answer a few questions to confirm our goals align and was quickly moved into the process to a coordinator scheduling my interview with a senior financial analyst. The call was scheduled in the same week, and I had a good conversation with the interviewer. I was asked to provide a lot of details on the experiences listed on my resume. At the end of the call, I was told I'd get a second phone interview with HR "most likely." Not exactly sure what that meant at the moment, but got a response the next day saying that they decided not to move forward with my candidacy. It was a good experience nonetheless. I believe my background was not up to par to their senior analysts whom most have MBAs, and I could have given stronger examples during the call.

Interview Questions

• If Amazon were to start a used book rental business, how would you price it?   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in March 2017.

Interview

Overall, the interview process was very well-mannered from start to finish. I was really impressed.

A recruiter reached out to me directly, and I had my first round phone interview with the hiring manager. Consisted of both situational questions and a case at the end. Not difficult but ensure you detail every angle in the case (specificity matters).

Was brought onsite for the final interview consisting of 6 people and a lunch. Had 2 case studies and then some more situational questions. Simialr to above, make sure you detail your thought process and assumptions.

The people were really nice, and the interview itself wasn't too difficult.

Interview Questions

• What was your proudest achievement?   1 Answer
    • How do you deal with a business partner that disagrees with you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

Sent resume directly to recruiter for a specific job posting and was then quickly scheduled to phone interview for an unrelated job. Phone interview was full of behavioral questions and requests for specific examples of financial modeling work I've performed in the past. Was a fair interview, but was clear very early on that I wasn't a good fit for this position and vice versa.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when there was no consensus and you had to motivate your team to move forward.   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Phone interview was scheduled with one of the Finance leads of the team. It lasted nearly an hour with the most expected behavioral questions like describe a time when you didn't agree with your manager or dive deep into how did you manage a conflict, etc. Followed by a few financial questions like "take me through your standard financial model", and "how do you conduct sensitivity analysis".
    The interview went really well (or at least I thought it did), but I never heard back from them. I guess, it wasn't me they were looking for.

Interview Questions

• How do you build a sensitivity matrix in your model?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Bernardino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (San Bernardino, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

2 rounds phone interviews followed by an onsite at a fulfillment center. An Excel test was given to candidates to complete before the onsite. Onsite interview includes a 60 minute facility tour, and 5 separate 45 minute interview sessions with 5-6 people at Sr. Manager level. You will discuss the excel test with the interviewers at one of these sessions.

Interview Questions

• All behavioral questions, "tell me a time when...", nothing out of ordinary. Be sure to reflect the leadership principals when answering with your past experience   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview has 2 parts, first part is a phone interview with the hiring manager. And if he/she likes you then you will get an onsite interview which is 4-5 hours long. But the nice part is that someone that's not one of the interviewers take you out to lunch.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions such as tell me a time that you help solve a complicated problem. Walk me through the steps that you took.   Answer Question
    • Why Amazon?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

Initial phone interview with another SFA, then phone interview with hiring manager. They will latch onto a single project you mention and ask 5+ more questions to understand how you think so be ready to go into detail of any project you mention. The hiring manager asked some strategic, case-like questions that were tough, but if you know about the business, and at least make some sense, I imagine that's enough to get a thumbs up.

The on-site interview process was actually easier than the phone interviews. Almost all behavioral type questions (STAR method recommended) related to Amazon's leadership principles. Make sure you have 5+ experiences that you can bring up that will relate to the leadership principles. I had one interview that was more technical and challenging than the others. More of a "tell me how you would solve this problem" line of questioning.

The entire process lasted 6 hours: three 45-min interviews, 15-min break, 75-min lunch (they'll tell you this isn't an interview, but it very obviously IS an interview), three more 45-min interviews. Interviewers ranged from managers to directors across multiple teams.

A recruiter will do a prep call with you a few days before your on-site interview. Make sure to listen to him/her. The recruiter gave me some great tips - mostly stuff I knew, but definitely influenced the way I prepared for the interviews and helped ensure my success.

Interview Questions

• What are three things that you would identify as your weaknesses or things your managers have noted that you should work on improving?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Overall difficult behavioral questions. Also was asked if a monthly amazon subscription was a good idea and how I would create a budget and a business plan for rolling it out. I didn't get the job due to lack of experience for the position.

Interview Questions

• Is a monthly amazon subscription a good idea? How would you create a business plan for it? Multiple behavioral questions.   Answer Question