Amazon Senior Operations Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 1, 2017

3.7

19 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tracy, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Tracy, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Similar to other comments. Quick interview set up with coaching on how to interview. The interview went fine. Not too tough. No math questions. It felt like cattle being herded through the interview process and tour.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when...   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2016.

Interview

Applied online at Amazon.com. Got a phone call from a recruiter about a month later. The recruiter scheduled me for a phone interview with another recruiter. Had the phone interview, then received word about 2 days later that I had passed and would move on to another phone interview with a Site Manager. Had that phone interview, and that person also informed me that I'd be a good fit for the company and recommended me to conduct an on site interview. Got an email from another recruiting coordinator a week later and was scheduled to fly to Amazon in Seattle, WA for onsite interviews. Had 4 interviews with regional directors and an HR manager. Went straightforward and as discussed in the emails leading up to the on site. STAR format, know the leadership principles inside and out and thread them into your behavioral answers they ask. Have your stories ready to go; practice the behavioral style questions before you get there.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you didn't quite achieve the results you desired and why.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Breinigsville, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Breinigsville, PA) in February 2016.

Interview

Bogus experience. The process took months. The people interviewing had this attitude of "they could do no wrong". HR manager was a joke. Candidates are treated like criminals passing through their metal detectors. Two phone interviews, passed off to multiple hr associates trying to get a in-person interview. This company is messed up.

Interview Questions

• List an example of how your leadership caused a positive result that was created by those you led.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Jersey City, NJ) in November 2015.

Interview

Initial phone screen with recruiter. Follow up phone screen with a general manager after one week. One week later, on-site interview at a FC in New Jersey where I interviewed with 5 individuals (one HR, two regional directors, general manager and a logistics manager). There were 2 other candidates interviewing. Started the day at 10:00 AM with a plant tour. Then interviews of 45 minutes each until 6:00 PM (with big gaps in between). Long day. No lunch served, not allowed to leave the building. Gave us some chips, soda's and candy. Every trip to a bathroom had to be with an escort. Felt very captive, and not welcoming for a senior role.

Due to signed NDA, I won't comment on specific questions, but suffice to say that all interviewers asked the questions EXACTLY the same way. "Tell me about a time when ..." They each focus on some of Amazon's guiding principles. I have interviewed quite a bit in my 20 year career, but never was it this structured with zero opportunity for some pleasant interaction with the interviewer.

Though I had prepared well, I noticed very quickly that this style of interviewing did not suite me. I felt there was zero chemistry with some of the interviewers. That said, it must work well for Amazon as they have been doing it like this for a long time (see previous interview process reviews). What would concern me though (and I gave them this feedback) is that the employees they will end up selecting as successful candidates via this process are all going to be clones (ie. similar thinking, style, manners, etc.) I suppose Amazon will see this as a strength, but I see it as a giant weakness, and I'm sure "group think" is prevalent at this company's culture, and probably even valued.

Though I believe I could have knocked this job out of the park, I knew this wasn't a good fit for me culturally after the interviewing day. I also knew I was not going to be successful in my candidacy. Fortunately, I had multiple opportunities in the hopper.

NOTE - I'm rating interview difficulty as "difficult". This is very subjective. Others may love this style of interviewing and think it was easy. I will say there are no surprises, no "gotcha" questions, and by using other glassdoor reviews, you will know 100% what is coming. Oh, and no math question. Not sure if they forgot (like I said it wasn't very organized), or if it wasn't scheduled for this session. Good luck to you!

Senior Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

The phone interview will have a two part math question, the biggest thing is being able to answer how you came to your conclusion rather than just simply getting the right numbers. Very relaxed questions but do require use of the STAR method.

Interview Questions

• Math question was straight forward, then they threw a little curve. I.E. what if you need to increase productivity by 1500 units, how many more associates do you need. Again not a difficult question, just be able to explain how you made your decision, explain the steps in your math.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Kansas City, MO) in September 2014.

Interview

My resume and a personal recommendation got me to the first step - a Phone Screen. In the Phone Screen I gave examples of my successes as they aligned with the Amazon Leadership principles. There were a few behavioral questions but overall no sweat and I made it to the next step.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a failure you had?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2014.

Interview

Submitted my resume via a friend at the company, heard nothing for nearly 8 months. When HR contacted me for phone screen, things took off. I did two phone screens, trip to Seattle for interviews (four 1-hour one-on-one sessions conducted back to back), and a trip to CA to visit potential work site -- all in less than three weeks.

During interviews, first three interviewers were fairly typical -- ask behavior/analytics questions & follow up to understand your story thoroughly. Amazon wants very detailed examples so they can evaluate your thinking -- theoretical answers or vague explanations won't fly. Last interviewer took a very contrary/confrontational approach -- hired lots of people with your background, fired most of them. Why should I think you'll be any different? I believe last interview was to verify my commitment to what will certainly be a challenging role and to see how I'd react to a skeptical, hostile interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you saw a problem coming. Tell me how you knew it was coming, what actions you took to avert it, and what the outcome was.   Answer Question
    • What would your employees say they like most about working for you? What would they like least? What was the last feedback you got from your boss?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They listened, but it was clear that the package they offer is fairly well defined and unlikely to be adjusted. I tried to negotiate additional vacation time; no dice.

Senior Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Applied on line. Took over 6 months to hear back from recruiter. Once recruiter contacted me, I had three phone screens over the course of two months. Overall, the phone screen process was very pleasant and informative. Once completed the phone screens, had an on-site interview. This interview included 4 sets of 2 interviewers over 4 hours. There were also 3 other candidates there, we each rotated through each interview panel. The interviewers were: 3 Regional Directors, 2 General Managers, 1 Regional HR Manager, and 1 Junior Recruiter. Overall, the Regional Directors were arrogant and condescending. If it didn't happen at Amazon, it was not worth their time. I did not feel like they welcomed other ways of thinking or ideas. Also, the recruiter had told me to keep my examples in my own terms, not to "Amazon" my answers. However, when I tried to explain using my terms, I got the feedback "What you are talking about is foreign to me" and "You are not answering the question I asked." Two of the Regional Directors and one of the General Managers were very unpleasant, rude, and left me with no desire to work for Amazon.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you told your manager "you are full of crap"   1 Answer

Not a good cultural fit

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Richmond, VA) in June 2012.

Interview

half day process, complete with facility tour, corporate culture introduction and behavioral science based interview questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in July 2011.

Interview

My interview process followed what I read in other posts for the most part. Amazon called me - I did not initiate by sending in a resume. I first had some initial calls with HR (twice) and then an hour-long interview with the Hiring manager. The Hiring Manager seemed great and it was a good fit, so when they called for an on-site interview I decided to go even though I wasn't crazy about re-locating. The interview was similar to what I read - 5 people one-by-one with the first one being the hardest. As I wasn't interviewing for a developer role I didn't have some of the logic questions that I read about, but they definitely had some tough questions. The first guy wouldn't tell you who he was or what he did but just started peppering you with questions and ridiculous scenarios. They got easier as it went along but I think I blew the first one so it really didn't matter. Although they said I would hear something one way or another in a week, it's been 3 weeks and I haven't heard a thing (followed up twice with HR) so I can take a hint.