Amazon Senior Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Senior Product Manager Interview Questions

Updated May 7, 2017

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

3 phone interviews (including 1 with the hiring manager and recruiter)
1 writing sample
6 on-site interviews at HQ (including 1 with a bar raiser that checks you're better than at least 50% of current Amazonians of the same level)

Most of the interviews are based on Amazon's leadership principles. I found it a great opportunity to reflect on one's professional and personal experiences, and learn if one is a good fit for Amazon's culture too. My recruiter also generously invested time helping me better prepare by explaining every leadership principle and providing concrete examples.

Although I didn't accept Amazon's kind offer, I really enjoyed meeting with the Kindle content team! From my conversations with the director, hiring manager and peer PMs on the team, I was impressed by the hiring manager's willingness to invest in his team's professional growth, and the Kindle team's collaborative culture e.g. the Kindle PMs meet regularly to give each other feedback.

Interview Questions

• When you were working on [experience X], what did you find surprising?   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Standard process.
    - Two recruiter interviews
    - Two additional phone interviews, one by the hiring manager and another guy on the team
    The process was pretty pleasant overall including the travel booking. The recruiters I worked with were very polite and respectful throughout the process. The onsite was also a pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

• ALL behavioral questions. No market sizing / estimation questions; no strategy questions, no pricing questions, no product design / feature questions. Just behavioral - by all interviewers such as:
      - What's the most revolutionary thing you've done in your job?
      - What's the most innovative thing you've done in your job?
      - Tell me of a time when you made a gut decision, without looking into any data?
      - Tell me of a time when you failed as a product manager?
      - Tell me of a time when you couldn't meet a deadline?
      - Give me an example of when you went above and beyond and many more on the same lines.
      2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Amazon (Atlanta, GA) in April 2017.

Interview

Very condescending hiring staff, recruiter was great. Seems like amazon hires lots of second tier talent, very poor interview experience. Set up as a series of star interviews and writing sample, not very flatering for senior level positions the way they are done and will surely push away the best talent , but that may be the point.

Interview Questions

• Everyone asked the same question about a time you failed or had to make a call without data, then took notes, not conversational. They are trying to adopt star method but unlike consulting companies who are great at star interviews, amazon has a long way to go and too much of their culture and true colors shines through.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied blindly online on the company website. After waiting 2 weeks with no response, reached out to a friend who worked at Amazon. Within 30 minutes of that, a recruiter reached out and asked to arrange a phone interview.

The recruiter had to reschedule the initial phone interview 30 minutes before it was supposed to happen. After that round there was a phone interview with the hiring manager 1 week later. It then took 1.5 weeks to arrange the onsite interview, which was scheduled for 3 weeks later!

Onsite interview was about 6 hours of back-to-back interviews - all the same sort of questions. Only 1/2 of the interviewers worked on the same team as the role and the ones that didn't didn't know anything about the work that they were hiring for.

Be prepared - when interviewing for a PM role, there won't be any questions about being a PM or how much you know about the role. Just make sure you have 14 STAR stories ready which align with the leadership principles. That's all they care about.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time.... (14 of these)   1 Answer

Senior Product Manager Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Terrible experience - my emails and phone calls were left unanswered and was eventually ghosted after being given a verbal offer. Ended up giving up due to frustration with the recruiter

Interview Questions

Never ended up getting anything in writing

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

Despite being a referral the process was really slow and stretched out over 6 weeks. They took time to schedule my final rounds and the recruiter was very un co-operative.

Interview Questions

• For any PM interview, they focus on leadership principles and some cases that are specific to the team that is interviewing you. I can understand their focus on leadership principles, but 5 people asking you examples of same situation is not the most efficient way to test a candidate. There are only so many examples of a specific situation that you can relate to from your past experience. What I dislike about their interview process is the way interviewers force you to come up with more stories for the same leadership principle. I expressed my concern with this and I guess this is why they didnt move forward.   2 Answers

Senior Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon in March 2017.

Interview

Two rounds of video interviews, 30 min. each in one day. The first interviewer asked me behavioral questions and the second interviewer asked me both behavioral and case questions. Questions were sometimes difficult as they asked more details in one question. Case was short but was about supply chain at which I was not good.

Interview Questions

• Do you like to take a new project or an existing one?
      What was your biggest challenge?
      What was your biggest achievements?
      How did you lead the team?
      How did you motivate the team?
      2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied for an internship in the Amazon PMT program. 1st round was 2 interviews back to back - 30 minutes each. The second round has the same format, but with the interview length extended to 45 minutes each. The interviewers were product managers. The 'bar raiser' could be identified easily as they try to know exactly what you did ,why you did it and how you did it.

Interview Questions

• 1. What is your biggest accomplishment?
      2. When was the last time you created a metric and implemented it?
      3. A time when you dealt with ambiguity?
      4. What will you do if your engineering team tells you the product will not be ready on time for launch?
      5. What do you think is Amazon's challenge right now?
      1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

Structural-Behavior Interviews (2 phone interviews) + 6 interviews back to back on site, including a lunch. Lots of interview calls/discussions with hiring managers prior to choosing a role that was interesting.

Interview Questions

• What was your riskiest step or experience?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

Two phone calls followed by a ~6 hour in person day of interviews. Amazon provided very little feedback as to why they didn't end up selecting me. I may have asked for too large of a salary or perhaps they just found somebody who was a better fit. Overall, I enjoyed the conversations, met some interested characters and would call the whole thing fairly positive.

Interview Questions

• They tend to ask STAR questions along the line of "Tell me about a time where you disagreed with your leadership. What did you do, what was the outcome, etc."   3 Answers