Amazon Senior Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 13, 2017

3.4

221 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in August 2017.

Interview

I am interviewing with the AmazonFresh team. The phone interviews were manageable and went well. Before the in person interview, I had to write up an example of a judgment call. I then got that question two times during the in person interview. I had examples for each leadership principle ready but in hindsight, I should have had 3 examples for each leadership principles which isn't easy when most companies don't set goals and accurately measure your impact. Recruiter, Hiring Manager, Team Member, 5 hour interview with entire team and 1 bar raiser, written assessment. Bar riser is one person not on your team that can veto you if you wouldn't fit in the culture. I got along with him the best. My struggle was the last person after 4 hours of being grilled I think I was just tired and got very nervous.

Interview Questions

• Make sure you have 3 examples for each leadership principle since you get the same question over again by different people and it is frowned upon to say the same thing. All answers should follow the STAR method and you need to tell the story with emphasizing the results instead of just reading them off.

1. Why Amazon now?
    2. What is the most technical project you worked on? What were the risks? Impact?
    3. Who are you?
    4. What feedback have you received from past managers?
    5. What was your most creative idea?
    6. Give an example of a project that had a change in scope and how did you handle it?
    7. Give an example of when a project failed?
    8. How did you vent your ideas and convince leadership?
    9. Name a new metric you discovered?
    10. Walk me through your background?
    11. Give an example when you didn't agree with your manager?
    12. What are the KPIs for your company?
    13. How would someone who has worked with you describe you?
    14. What was your proudest moment in your career? What part did you play in making that happen?
    15. What was a revolutionary idea that you implemented?
    16. If you didn't have goals or KPIs for your example, in hingsight what would you measure and why?
    17. If you were changing the AmazonFresh experience what are some are your ideas and how would you measure them?
    18. What metrics do you use to drive change?
    19. When was a time that you take ownership outside of your role?
    20. What is an area that is an opportunity for you to improve upon?
    21. Tell me about a feature or customer experience that had multiple CX issues?
    22. Tell me about a time you disagreed with your manager - I got this question 3 times
    23. Tell me when you made a judgment call since you didn't have any data (make sure you have 3 examples ready)   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview process was fairly simple. I contacted a friend of a friend via LinkedIn and she recommended me to the recruiter and hiring manager. The recruiter contacted me about my availability and then scheduled the interviews.

Interview Questions

• What was one complicated problem that you were able to solve with one simple solution?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

Flattered that they contacted me about such an important position. It's a great fit for me. But unfortunately after the first phone interview was scheduled, the recruiter said they were only transferring visas from other employers. I am a Canadian and would qualify under NAFTA, so it was disappointing to have it cancelled with no feedback.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

3 phone interviews (including 1 with the hiring manager and recruiter)
    1 writing sample
    6 on-site interviews at HQ (including 1 with a bar raiser that checks you're better than at least 50% of current Amazonians of the same level)

Most of the interviews are based on Amazon's leadership principles. I found it a great opportunity to reflect on one's professional and personal experiences, and learn if one is a good fit for Amazon's culture too. My recruiter also generously invested time helping me better prepare by explaining every leadership principle and providing concrete examples.

Although I didn't accept Amazon's kind offer, I really enjoyed meeting with the Kindle content team! From my conversations with the director, hiring manager and peer PMs on the team, I was impressed by the hiring manager's willingness to invest in his team's professional growth, and the Kindle team's collaborative culture e.g. the Kindle PMs meet regularly to give each other feedback.

Interview Questions

• When you were working on [experience X], what did you find surprising?   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

I was approached through LinkedIn for an interview as they were doing a hiring event in my City (I am not US based).
    This was followed by some negotiation for finding a time for a phone interview (time differences are always a challenge).
    The actual phone interview went very well and at the end she said that she would like to send me some written questions and she needed my email address. I opted to email her so she could email me back - been a couple of weeks now with total radio silence. Not sure if this is just the way they do things or if I should take a hint. Either way I have attempted a few follow ups and have been left in the dark.

Interview Questions

• Unsurprisingly they asked for examples of where I used data to make a decision. Also a lot of customer focused questions.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Standard process.
    - Two recruiter interviews
    - Two additional phone interviews, one by the hiring manager and another guy on the team
    The process was pretty pleasant overall including the travel booking. The recruiters I worked with were very polite and respectful throughout the process. The onsite was also a pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

• ALL behavioral questions. No market sizing / estimation questions; no strategy questions, no pricing questions, no product design / feature questions. Just behavioral - by all interviewers such as:
      - What's the most revolutionary thing you've done in your job?
      - What's the most innovative thing you've done in your job?
      - Tell me of a time when you made a gut decision, without looking into any data?
      - Tell me of a time when you failed as a product manager?
      - Tell me of a time when you couldn't meet a deadline?
      - Give me an example of when you went above and beyond and many more on the same lines.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Amazon (Atlanta, GA) in April 2017.

Interview

Very condescending hiring staff, recruiter was great. Seems like amazon hires lots of second tier talent, very poor interview experience. Set up as a series of star interviews and writing sample, not very flatering for senior level positions the way they are done and will surely push away the best talent , but that may be the point.

Interview Questions

• Everyone asked the same question about a time you failed or had to make a call without data, then took notes, not conversational. They are trying to adopt star method but unlike consulting companies who are great at star interviews, amazon has a long way to go and too much of their culture and true colors shines through.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied blindly online on the company website. After waiting 2 weeks with no response, reached out to a friend who worked at Amazon. Within 30 minutes of that, a recruiter reached out and asked to arrange a phone interview.

The recruiter had to reschedule the initial phone interview 30 minutes before it was supposed to happen. After that round there was a phone interview with the hiring manager 1 week later. It then took 1.5 weeks to arrange the onsite interview, which was scheduled for 3 weeks later!

Onsite interview was about 6 hours of back-to-back interviews - all the same sort of questions. Only 1/2 of the interviewers worked on the same team as the role and the ones that didn't didn't know anything about the work that they were hiring for.

Be prepared - when interviewing for a PM role, there won't be any questions about being a PM or how much you know about the role. Just make sure you have 14 STAR stories ready which align with the leadership principles. That's all they care about.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time.... (14 of these)   2 Answers

Senior Product Manager Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Terrible experience - my emails and phone calls were left unanswered and was eventually ghosted after being given a verbal offer. Ended up giving up due to frustration with the recruiter

Interview Questions

Never ended up getting anything in writing

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

Despite being a referral the process was really slow and stretched out over 6 weeks. They took time to schedule my final rounds and the recruiter was very un co-operative.

Interview Questions

• For any PM interview, they focus on leadership principles and some cases that are specific to the team that is interviewing you. I can understand their focus on leadership principles, but 5 people asking you examples of same situation is not the most efficient way to test a candidate. There are only so many examples of a specific situation that you can relate to from your past experience. What I dislike about their interview process is the way interviewers force you to come up with more stories for the same leadership principle. I expressed my concern with this and I guess this is why they didnt move forward.   3 Answers