Amazon Senior Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 24, 2017

3.4

217 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

3 Different Interviews with team members, some of them would ask the same questions, and they warned me about it beforehand. The idea of the process was for all team mates to say if they would see themselves working with me or not.

The key element on Amazon interviews is to fit with the Amazon leaderships principles, make sure you study that beforehand.

Interview Questions

• If we had to decide wether to augment the minimum order value to get free Prime 2 day delivery, walk me through the process to take that decision   Answer Question
  • How would go you on deciding how to price books on Kindle vs the physical version?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about the time you achieved a change in a decision using data   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

Two phone screens, one full day interview in Seattle. All interviewers were asking the same boring questions without really trying to learn about my skills. Their interview process is not working for well-experienced people.

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Amazon (Singapore (Singapore)) in April 2017.

Interview

I had 5 interviews with the, each almost an hour. It was a behavioral interview, probing on fit questions. I was asked to go deeper into every question and answer. It was long and draining.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you operated without data, leadership example, against status quo, etc.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

I was approached through LinkedIn for an interview as they were doing a hiring event in my City (I am not US based).
    This was followed by some negotiation for finding a time for a phone interview (time differences are always a challenge).
    The actual phone interview went very well and at the end she said that she would like to send me some written questions and she needed my email address. I opted to email her so she could email me back - been a couple of weeks now with total radio silence. Not sure if this is just the way they do things or if I should take a hint. Either way I have attempted a few follow ups and have been left in the dark.

Interview Questions

• Unsurprisingly they asked for examples of where I used data to make a decision. Also a lot of customer focused questions.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

The process was straightforward. I had an intro call with the Hiring manager followed by a telephone interview. Then they got me to an in-person interview after some delay. When I got their I was arranged to speak with 7 persons including the hiring manager. The process and the questions themselves were not that difficult. Almost all of them were behavioral. I had a tricky situation with my bar raiser interview as we turned back from lunch a bit late and he didn't seem to be in a good mood. He asked me for ideas to improve their business picking up from what I told him and didn't seem satisfied with my responses.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you failed ? How did you manage and recover from that situation?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied blindly online on the company website. After waiting 2 weeks with no response, reached out to a friend who worked at Amazon. Within 30 minutes of that, a recruiter reached out and asked to arrange a phone interview.

The recruiter had to reschedule the initial phone interview 30 minutes before it was supposed to happen. After that round there was a phone interview with the hiring manager 1 week later. It then took 1.5 weeks to arrange the onsite interview, which was scheduled for 3 weeks later!

Onsite interview was about 6 hours of back-to-back interviews - all the same sort of questions. Only 1/2 of the interviewers worked on the same team as the role and the ones that didn't didn't know anything about the work that they were hiring for.

Be prepared - when interviewing for a PM role, there won't be any questions about being a PM or how much you know about the role. Just make sure you have 14 STAR stories ready which align with the leadership principles. That's all they care about.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time.... (14 of these)   2 Answers

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Luxembourg (Luxembourg)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Luxembourg (Luxembourg)) in May 2017.

Interview

4 months from application to result date.

10 rounds in all
    - 1 analytical exam (kenexa)
    - 1 hr phone
    - 1 hiring manager phone
    - 1 written assessment (2 pager)
    - 6 on-site (all senior PM's or their managers)

3 on-site rounds happened back to back without any break in-between. So about 2.5 hours of non stop interviewing. :).

All questions related to your experience and their leadership principles.

I thought I did my best but the result was not as anticipated. Probably might have scored low on the leadership principle vocally self critical.

But again... Life moves on :)

Process was smooth. Recruiter was very responsive and helpful throughout the process. Communication was crisp and clear. Overall it was a good experience except for the result. :).

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Amazon (London, England (UK)) in July 2014.

Interview

2 phone interviews; followed by 4 in person interviews. All interviews were of a similar nature - focus on examples from your past life. Interviewers keep asking follow up questions and expect you to go into a lot of detail. Relatively easy to prepare for as you need to think about all that you had done in the past; no need to solve cases etc.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time when.... (questions about Amazon Leadership Principles - Think Big, Dive Deep etc.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Amazon (Atlanta, GA) in April 2017.

Interview

Very condescending hiring staff, recruiter was great. Seems like amazon hires lots of second tier talent, very poor interview experience. Set up as a series of star interviews and writing sample, not very flatering for senior level positions the way they are done and will surely push away the best talent , but that may be the point.

Interview Questions

• Everyone asked the same question about a time you failed or had to make a call without data, then took notes, not conversational. They are trying to adopt star method but unlike consulting companies who are great at star interviews, amazon has a long way to go and too much of their culture and true colors shines through.   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (London, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Competency based phone interview focused on the Amazon Leadership principles. It lasted 1h and went from generic questions to very detailed technical ones about my previous experience. The interviewer was gentle and the conversation fine though he dig really deep in some of the questions

Interview Questions

• Why Amazon?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a feature you have developed based on data   1 Answer
    • How could we improve our product? what do you like and dislike?   1 Answer
    • How would you convince the engineers about developing a feature?   1 Answer