Amazon Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 21, 2017

3.3

125 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Got a phone interview with coding on a website.
An engineer called to start the interview process. The interview went through the past work experience and mentioned about their company and what they are looking for. The interviewer also asked a couple of technical questions before going to the online coding tool.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Tempe, AZ) in August 2017.

Interview

I was sent a link to a screen sharing platform, there would be live coding during the interview. I was to confirm first I could access it. I was told the coding could be in one of a handful of languages; Java, C++, Python, Ruby, etc. Since it has been some years since I wrote production level code, I chose Python. Probably not the best choice since I only know the basics. On the day of the interview, I received a phone from the interviewer 2 hours before the scheduled time. I was surprised and my interview routine was not shaken. I'm not sure if this was on purpose or not the interviewer claimed it was a mistake on by the person who scheduled it. After a discussion, we decided to keep the original time for the interview. I shouldn't of let this bother me but it did.

The official interview started at the correct time, re-introduced ourselves and discussed how the coding would go. There also was a short summary of what the job duties were and past projects the team has worked on. The interviewer said they didn't know Python but that was ok. We completed the coding segment, then I was given time to ask questions. I asked specific questions about the organization of the projects, team members, experience of the team, things that would make a job fun or a pain. The whole interview lasted 60 minutes.

Interview Questions

• code a function that takes 2 parameters and an algorithm, print out all the numbers between the 2 parameters that completes the algorithm   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in August 2017.

Interview

Six rounds of interviews: 3 are coding, 1 for design, and other two are behavior and design. Lunch buddy took me out for lunch. I enjoyed the whole process though I did not perform well in coding interviews. All interviewers are nice and willing to help you with tips when I had difficulty to come up with an optimal solution.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Interview process was fairly technical , with several coding examples to understand thought process....there were around 6 rounds of interview and one interview was over lunch. Interview team was very friendly and I find process very accepting .....

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Santa Monica, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Had a phone screen and then onsite interview all day. Onsite interview session was grueling. There were 2 interviews in the morning, then lunch and 3 more in the afternoon. All the people I talked to were pretty nice and gave me hints if I was stuck in a question.
    Lot of behavioral interview questions. Technical interviews were not too difficult. If you are fairly good with algorithms and data structures, you should do fine. Two system design questions. These were pretty standard too.
    Overall I thought i did ok, but looking back, it was a waste of time as I did not get the offer.
    Read up on the Amazon leadership principles and have some solid answers ready for behavioral interview questions describing the situation, action, results of your experiences/projects.
    Same questions might be asked in different interviews. you can have the same answers as long as your story is consistent.

Interview Questions

• System design questions - design URL shortener , design music streaming service.
      Describe a situation where you disagreed with your manager.
      Describe a time when you worked on a project where you had insufficient data.
      Describe a time when you worked on something you did not have prior experience in, limited domain knowledge etc.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

The whole process was a bit chaotic and feels very reflective of what working at the company would be like.

I was initially referred by a friend who works there. Dealt with a number of different recruiters \ interview schedules until someone could actually schedule a phone screen. The phone screen was straight out of every interviewing book ever.

Getting the onsite interview organized was a similar process. One recruiter initially, handed off to another recruiter, handed off to an interview co-ordinator, back to the recruiter.

The interviews were all pretty much what you'd expect. The interviewer would come in to the room at exactly their slotted time and end the previous interview. They'd introduce themselves and talk about what they work on. They'd ask a few questions about your resume. Then either an algorithm question or a system design question. Then a behavioral ("tell me a time when...") question that is either about a specific Amazon Leadership Principle or about a reality of working at amazon (mostly dealing with being put into situations where there is more work than you can handle).

Pros
    - the process was generally efficient. In spite of the fact that you have to deal with a bunch of recruiters and never really know who's going to contact you, they would reply quickly. I was finished exactly when I was told the day would be done. None of the questions were difficult to see the solution to.
    - the interviews are a strong reflection of the culture of the company; the people are smart, the problems are hard - but expect to be pushed to work hard and have to really commit to the culture.

Cons
    - don't expect much of a conversation when it comes to the technical questions. The question is posed, and then the interviewer will sit there and just type whatever you say or write on the whiteboard.
    - don't expect to get a feel for your team or your co-workers. Everyone I interviewed was from various teams related to the team I was interviewing for but not direct co-workers
    - Expect the 'bar raiser' interview to pick something that's going to be tricky to write on a white board. Just because you understand graph theory and use it every day, it's a whole different ball game trying to create and traverse a graph on a whiteboard while someone is taking notes on everything you write.
    - everything ties back to their "leadership principles". If you really want to work at amazon, learn those, embrace them and come up ahed of time with a situation that lines up with each one so you're prepared when they ask it.

Interview Questions

• Design a simple service for scale and be prepared to defend your design. Data structures (graphs, trees). Behavioral questions that line up with the company values.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Hiring manager reached out to me on LinkedIn and set up an informal chat where he explained about the team and role. The role sounded interesting, so I decided to give this a try. The hiring manager then referred me to a recruiter, who then contacted me to set up a phone screen. The phone screen went well and I was invited to an onsite. At the same time, I was contacted by another team in Amazon who was also interested in interviewing me. So, I set up a combined loop with both teams.
    The onsite had the following rounds:
    1. Coding/Algorithms
    2. System Design Interview
    3. Coding
    4. Lunch (informal, not an interview)
    5. Coding/Design
    6. Behavioral interview
    7. Resume deep dive

Each interviewer (except for the lunch buddy) asks you some question which is related to Amazon's Leadership Principles. So read up about the Leadership Principles and come prepared with a list of examples where you demonstrated some competency related to the LP.

I heard back positive news 2 days after the Phone interview and 4 days after the onsite.

Interview Questions

• 1. Simple backtracking question related to generating permutations
      2. LRU Cache
      3. System Design questions based on the product the team is building
      4. Lots of 'Tell me about a time when ...' types of questions   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by Amazon recruiter over the email for their hiring event in New York City. I applied at Amazon before and recruiter came across to my profile in their database. After sharing my updated resume, I was informed that my profile has been selected to move forward. Next I received an email invitation to participate in an ‘online technical challenge’. It was 90 minutes coding challenge and I had to solve two coding problems. I was able to solve the first problem successfully but run short on time to complete the second one.

Interview Questions

• Both the coding challenge were Functional Programming problems .
      1. There were set of rules given in the problem statement. You have to process array of input, do some calculations accordingly to return the sum.
      2. There were few conditions given in the problem statement. You have to process two array string input and return the result after comparing the values.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter through a Job search website for a full time position.
    The response after each interview was super quick (relative to interviews in other companies)
    Once they reject you, seems like the recruiter don't respond to your mail anymore. Pretty rude and unexpected.
    1st phone call was with the recruiter. A 20 minutes conversation. Later he scheduled a day for phone interview.
    1st round was a 45 minute technical phone interview. It went well. The interviewer was supportive and knowledgeable. I enjoyed the interview.
    In couple of days I was told that they want to go ahead with onsite interview. I was thrilled and set a date for 3 weeks later.
    I hated the onsite interview process. I liked that they paid for my travel(from California) and the stay at downtown. The onsite interview was of 4 hours - 5 rounds and NO BREAK for me in between. Why no break? Because the interview started 15 - 20 minutes late and that's why every next interview got overlapped and the interviewee had to suffer. It was utterly exhausting for me and frustrating after 2.5 rounds. I was interviewing after 9 long years and that's why I was uncomfortable, I guess, to ask for breaks in between. But if you are reading this and face similar situation please ask for breaks after every interview.

Interview Questions

• Phone rounds:
      1. Odd/Even number of occurrence of integers in an array
      2. Given an organization structure as a file, print out the employee names and its corresponding reportees in a structured format.   1 Answer
    • Onsite:
      Round 1: Mostly behavioral
      - Any technical challenge I have faced in past? How did I resolve it?
      Any big impact to any of your recent projects?
      How would you convince your manager(reasons/factors) to changing an implementation(a big modification) in a product which is in production currently?

Round 2: Technical
      - Implement merge sort.
      - Graph problem

Round 3: Technical
      - A method to count number of occurrence of words in a file. The objective was to write a clean code rather than an optimized code.

Round 4: Behavioral and Architecture
      - Past project experience
      - Design a messaging app

Round 5: Design/Coding
      - Ideas about implementing a search suggester
      - How will you implement it?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I was given an online coding assessment. I ran into many technical difficulties, such as not being able to compile even a simple line of code and missing problem description. I asked Amazon for a retake, but they didn't even have the courtesy to respond.