Amazon Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated May 23, 2017

3.3

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I was given an online coding assessment. I ran into many technical difficulties, such as not being able to compile even a simple line of code and missing problem description. I asked Amazon for a retake, but they didn't even have the courtesy to respond.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

Interview process was first technical interview, where a very low-experinced employee interviewed me on problem solving and solution thinking for 45 minutes. It included using the interactive whiteboard to discuss problems and do just a little simple coding for partial solutions (the problems were too big to solve in a few minutes in an accurate and tested manner).

The issue I have with this process is that it is NOT a reasonable assessment of a senior candidate's experience and skills. When a 5 years or less 'person' interviews a very successful senior engineer with well over 20 years of real world experience, and then does not recommend further interest in the candidate due to lack of skills, well, something is wrong with the system! People think of solutions in different ways, and working together to collaborate on a best solution is what good engineering is about. A barely-out-of-being-junior engineer cannot come close to understanding what that is like in the world outside of Amazon.
    I would not work with such a person, even if they had made an offer.

Interview Questions

• Something about searching a string for sequences of characters and counts of them.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

TL;DR: The interview process at Amazon is broken. Amazon favors those who are experts at interviewing and show aptitude for solving puzzle problems under pressure, on a white board and in an academic way under time constraints. The interview is structured in a way that completely obfuscates and diminishes real-world, pragmatic experience acquired over the years of writing software and focuses on how well you payed attention in class. It's a kin to a trauma surgeon with 15 years of battlefield experience being judged solely on how well he or she can suture a small cut on a pinky finger.

The interview process started with a recruiter organizing a technical phone screen with a simple coding question much like every other company. The phone screen was easily passed and did not present much of a challenge.

The next step was to interview all day on site with several individuals some of which were by remote video conference. Many of interviewers were from teams other than the team I was interviewing for and it was evident by their demeanor. They seemed to have been required to perform the interview and did not seem overly interested in the outcome. The words "robotic" and "forced" comes to mind when describing the interviewers.

On a side note, you can easily infer the outcome of the interview by taking note of the recruiters attentiveness to you before and after the interview. In my case, the recruiter was responsive to my inquires and questions, answered the phone and went out of her way to be available to me before the interview. After the interview had taken place, she was unavailable and would not return calls as promptly thus indicating a negative outcome. If there is a rejection, you are dead wood to the recruiter who does not wish to waste precious time with you anymore.

Interview Questions

• Expect puzzle questions, some of which are found online. Amazon interviewers lack the brilliance to come up with anything unique or representative of real-world applications. Amazon! The 1990's called; they want their soft skill questions back!   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

I applied through Amazon internal system. 3 months later I was contacted for phone interview
    Phone screen held by HR person, technical part consists from data structures algorithms questions. General feeling was like interview person read those questions from the screen, just to collect answers.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

Phone screen with recruitor, tech screen, architecture questions. Fly up onsite all day. They sort of want you to read this book on Amazon values because your interviews will all be basically 30 minutes of "tell me about a time when" related to their "core value" and you need to give a specific example. Like being frugal or whatever. You need to show you can drink their kool aid. Then you get an algorithm whiteboard coding.

Overall, I haven't done Java in 15 years, yet they kept asking me about object oriented design questions. With the recruitor, with the hiring manager on the phone, I emphasized I had spent the last *decade* doing functional programming and haven't touched java. "That's fine, you've done it", etc. Well, turns out, I nailed the core values, I nailed all the whiteboard stuff, but one guy "OO opinion" didn't like my OO design of a "Chess Game" . His linked in background has him with 5 total years experience and 3 doing Java at Amazon. Well, it was a Collabedit session and I kept the Code, b/c he was IN SF so we did it over Video. During me working on CollabEdit I could see him typing/working on his laptop on other things, seemingly distracted when I'd ask him to clarify something. He didn't say a word or guide me in any direction, just kept saying, 'yeah, good, okay, yeah"....

Got the call, no dice, didn't like my Chess game. Bwah bwah....so, I asked the recruiter, who said I didn't get the job because of my OO design, if she would guide me on what the design should have been, because my design, which I kept matches what is on many websites, and even reviewed by my friend at Google who came up with a few adjustments but nothing he said he wouldn't hire someone who obviously is rusty in Java over.

Either way, an enormous waste of my time, interviewing with a company that is more like the UPS of Software Developers anyway. At the end of it, you get some very low salary and padded with "cash bonuses" that run out and loaded up on Stock that you'll need to exercise to even survive at the salary they offer. (basically 50% of what I'm making now).

Interview Questions

• Lots of basic stuff you can stuff on leetcode or wherever. Design a Chess Board OO   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

1 Telephonic, 5 onsite. They spend way too much time discussing behavioral crap. At least 40% of the aggregated interview time was discussing questions around their leadership principals. I think they should spare this bs at least for software engineering/technical interviews.

Interview Questions

• 1) Given an array and value k. Return the kth percentile number from array.
      2) Parent of 2 node, given pointer to nodes in a binary tree.
      3) Design TinyURL.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Santa Monica, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online, contacted by a callback from recruiter. The recruiter described the rolle and went over my background, skills and interests. Then I was offered a timed coding challenge from HackerRank.

Interview Questions

• Given a video library hierarchy of movie titles with a specified weight of ratings at each node, write a recommendation function traversing the hierarchy and building up recommendation collection based on the rating pattern.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Fairly typical sequence of events: recruiter chat, remote tech screen, in-person full-day interview. I interviewed with two teams and was told by the recruiter that other teams might also be interested in speaking with me.

I left the interviews with a good feeling, but was told two days later that I would not receive an offer, and - most frustratingly - that I would not receive any feedback as to why I was turned down. So I have no idea in what ways I might be able to improve.

Interview Questions

• How would you implement a highly-available DHCP server?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in September 2016.

Interview

Very Straight forward. Drilled on coding skills. No small talk . Straight to coding after brief introduction. Bar raiser interview was the toughest. Good team . In some interviews there were people shadowing who asked a lot of questions.

Interview Questions

• Explain a technical challenge that you faced in your career   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in August 2016.

Interview

based on reaching out for the customer and lots of algorithms background , plus implementation online for simple code challenge ,
    some DevOps questions and questions about multi languages background
    some DevOps questions and questions about multi languages background

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between Breadth-first algorithm and depth-first algorithm ?   1 Answer