Amazon Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated May 19, 2017

3.3

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in November 2016.

Interview

Screening was done online by solving a coding problem within 2 hours. If you are successful at that then you will be contacted by a recruiter for a quick telephone interview. You will then be invited to a half day interview where you will be interviewed by four individuals. All of the interviews will be technical in nature and you will have to write code showing how you will solve the problem proposed to you by the interviewer.

Interview Questions

• How would you determine if a person is a friend of another person on a social networking application?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in January 2012.

Interview

I first passed two phone interviews, with standard algorithm and design questions, similar to ones posted on GlassDoor. I was flown to Seattle for interviews. The hotel was nice, but breakfast was not included. I interviewed with 9 people, some 1:1, but most 2:1, and one 3:1. Most interview questions can be found on GlassDoor, or are very similar. The final interview was with the "bar raiser", which I basically failed. I also had a hard time with an algorithm efficiency question since the interviewer misunderstood my code. In general, the people were smart and nice. Questions were pretty much the same as posted on this site. The bar raiser asked questions requiring familiarity with implementation of Reliability and Durability within a distributed messaging system architecture. I was surprised to learn that Amazon developers are periodically on call, and even more surprised to learn they can expect to be called when they are! I would say the interview questions were more difficult than average, but it is hard to maintain high energy and mental agility through so many interviews, so I rate the process Very Difficult.

Interview Questions

• How would you find if a list of strings, at least one is a prefix of another?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2011.

Interview

Passed Phone Screen since they basically asked OOP ("What is encapsulation?") and Algorithms ("Name an O(n log n) Sort")-kind of questions. They love Bucket Sort, so understand it. Breezed right through.

I took time off my current job and flew to Seattle. Got in late on puddle jumpers. The job I was interviewing for had advertised they wanted J2EE, Oracle DB's, XML, standard stuff for a Senior Java guy. However, I was asked about none of that. Instead we emarked on a masturbatory exercise whereby developers one after another propsed what Einstein called "Gedanken Experiments", all of which had to be coded by hand on a whiteboard resulting in compilable code. You are allowed to ask questions of the interviewer and have 60 mins to solve.

Here are my questions:

1.) "Given an NxM matrix, with some cells black and some cells white, code an algorithm to find all the black cells."
    2.) (This one was from one of the senior developers, an older gentlemen who had been pretty much since the founding). "A road has a traffic counter on it and results in an array of durations since the sampling began. Code and algorithm to find out how many cars have passed, keeping in mind that there may be 18 wheelers, cars towing trailers, pickup trucks and passenger vehicles"
    3.) "Given two arrays of floats, not necessarily of the same size, write an algorithm to merge them in ascending order." This was the only one I got completed and correct.
    4.) "Given a log file spanning multiple days, and given a page transition A -> B -> C, find all the unique users who made this page transition in the logs"

Needless to say, I spent a great deal of time preparing, reading Bertrand's Object Oriented Software Construction and Lafore's "Data Structures and Algorithms in Java". It didn't matter. Could have went in cold and done almost as well. The people were pleasant, but the experience wasn't good.

Interview Questions

• (This one was from one of the senior developers, an older gentlemen who had been pretty much since the founding). "A road has a traffic counter on it and results in an array of durations since the sampling began. Code and algorithm to find out how many cars have passed, keeping in mind that there may be 18 wheelers, cars towing trailers, pickup trucks and passenger vehicles"   1 Answer
    • "Given a log file spanning multiple days, and given a page transition A -> B -> C, find all the unique users who made this page transition in the logs"   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (San Jose, CA) in May 2013.

Interview

Recruiter emailed me, and after exchanging emails and talked over the phone, I had Phone screening, the interview was too long, the question was too complicated, and the end result, I did not make it for the next stage.

Interview Questions

• * Takes a list of strings representing either operators or operands and returns
       * the result of a reverse-polish notation calculation on them
       * Sample output:
       * {"4", "1", "+", "2", "*"} -> ((4 + 1) * 2) -> 10
       * {"5", "8", "4", "/", "+"} -> (5 + (8 / 4)) -> 7
       * Supported operators are +, -, *, and /
       * @param ops the series of operators and operands to operate on
       * @return a Double equal to the result of the calculation
       * @throws IllegalArgumentException if ops does not represent a well-formed RPN expression
       * @throws ArithmeticException if the expression generates an arithmetic error, such as dividing by zero
      2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

Phone screen with recruitor, tech screen, architecture questions. Fly up onsite all day. They sort of want you to read this book on Amazon values because your interviews will all be basically 30 minutes of "tell me about a time when" related to their "core value" and you need to give a specific example. Like being frugal or whatever. You need to show you can drink their kool aid. Then you get an algorithm whiteboard coding.

Overall, I haven't done Java in 15 years, yet they kept asking me about object oriented design questions. With the recruitor, with the hiring manager on the phone, I emphasized I had spent the last *decade* doing functional programming and haven't touched java. "That's fine, you've done it", etc. Well, turns out, I nailed the core values, I nailed all the whiteboard stuff, but one guy "OO opinion" didn't like my OO design of a "Chess Game" . His linked in background has him with 5 total years experience and 3 doing Java at Amazon. Well, it was a Collabedit session and I kept the Code, b/c he was IN SF so we did it over Video. During me working on CollabEdit I could see him typing/working on his laptop on other things, seemingly distracted when I'd ask him to clarify something. He didn't say a word or guide me in any direction, just kept saying, 'yeah, good, okay, yeah"....

Got the call, no dice, didn't like my Chess game. Bwah bwah....so, I asked the recruiter, who said I didn't get the job because of my OO design, if she would guide me on what the design should have been, because my design, which I kept matches what is on many websites, and even reviewed by my friend at Google who came up with a few adjustments but nothing he said he wouldn't hire someone who obviously is rusty in Java over.

Either way, an enormous waste of my time, interviewing with a company that is more like the UPS of Software Developers anyway. At the end of it, you get some very low salary and padded with "cash bonuses" that run out and loaded up on Stock that you'll need to exercise to even survive at the salary they offer. (basically 50% of what I'm making now).

Interview Questions

• Lots of basic stuff you can stuff on leetcode or wherever. Design a Chess Board OO   2 Answers

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, San Jose (Costa Rica)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (San Jose, San Jose (Costa Rica)) in January 2017.

Interview

I had one online English Test, One Technical Interview, then I passed successfully and next step was 5 interviews in one day, from 10am to 4pm, I faced algorithm issues, I successfully done them, I assure to have a good attitude, I even accept improvements to the solutions I have implemented, I ask if they were better solutions than the ones I've provided, and with no feedback or reason at all, I was rejected !!!!!!!!

I accept that I could say something wrong or something that could misunderstood, I'm not perfect, but why I didn't received any feedback at all...

My guess is some of the interviews doesn't like me, as i knew a couple of them, if it's the case what a professional company this is...

Interview Questions

• Experiences in the past that thought me good lessons...
      Challenge Experiences...
      Problems faced..
      1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in September 2016.

Interview

Very Straight forward. Drilled on coding skills. No small talk . Straight to coding after brief introduction. Bar raiser interview was the toughest. Good team . In some interviews there were people shadowing who asked a lot of questions.

Interview Questions

• Explain a technical challenge that you faced in your career   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Santa Monica, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online, contacted by a callback from recruiter. The recruiter described the rolle and went over my background, skills and interests. Then I was offered a timed coding challenge from HackerRank.

Interview Questions

• Given a video library hierarchy of movie titles with a specified weight of ratings at each node, write a recommendation function traversing the hierarchy and building up recommendation collection based on the rating pattern.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in July 2016.

Interview

Very long process, probably about 6 months all told.

First phone screen.
    Then phone/whiteboard interview/test.
    Onsite interview in Seattle consisting of 5, 1hr interviews + 1hr lunch (which also felt like an interview).
    Then more phone interviews once home again for other positions.

All the actual interactions were very positive and good however there was a lot of unanswered emails and misplaced information and just a general sense of poor organisation.

Interview Questions

• There were a lot of questions, mainly technical.
      One was to write a solution to the 'continental divide' problem.
      1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Pune (India)) in May 2016.

Interview

Hiring process is very lame, four straight technical rounds, they do not do any homework about your job and work, they straight jump to fresher level questions, mostly all questions are regarding algorithms and their time complexity, if you are good at remembering algorithms byheart then you are hired.
    Server backend and frontend developers are asked same questions, be prepared to write actual code on piece of paper which should have all cases covered(LAME) and tell its time complexity.

Interview Questions

• Search on sorted array where size is not provided, all sorting algorithms and their time complexity, basic OOP concepts in language of you choice.   Answer Question