Amazon Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 14, 2017

3.3

120 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Bengaluru (India)) in May 2013.

Interview

Two telephonic round and seven technical discussions.

Interview Questions

• Useless question which are not required for a day to day work or life at software industry.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I had a tech phone screen that lasted about one hour. The phone call consisted of the interviewer (Brad) talking allot about himself and what he does for Amazon AIV. He then asked about my current job, but didn't seem very interested nor asked any follow-up questions. Finally, I was asked to write code for the puzzle Sudoku in which I would verify the correctness of the puzzle. I wrote a clever hash algorithm that would require only one pass of the each plane (horizontal, vertical, matrix). I designed it to be scalable much beyond a typical 9x9 matrix.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

A few days after applying online I was emailed to do a phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Asked to write a method were it's passed an array of numbers and a single number. I needed to return true if there was two numbers in the array that if added totaled the single number. I was then asked to rewrite it to make it run faster.   5 Answers

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

I had a telephonic interview with Amazon and was asked a couple of questions.
    1. Given an array of numbers (+ve , -ve) and a number k, return true if any two numbers sum up to k.
        This question tests datastructure (Hashmap) and BST knowledge.
    2. Design an online airline reservation system.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon in August 2011.

Interview

I had got call from amazon recruitment team for telephonic interview. I was waiting for the telephonic interview on scheduled time. In between I had sent a mail to HR asking for detailed JD. There was no response from them at all. Just before 5 minutes of scheduled time, got call from interviewer saying he is busy and can not take interview. It only shows how they manage their time / plan and respect others time. I had wasted lot of time for this interview. First round of telephonic finally happened on re scheduled time. Question were very basic like matrix multiplication, difference between override and overload, some distributed computing. I could answer them well and even interview acknowledged that it is correct. I was very hopeful of getting into next interview. To my surprise, I got a mail saying that i have not cleared first round. I don't know how they evaluate when interviewer himself acknowledged that answers are correct. Whole thing is badly handled.

Interview Questions

• Matrix multiplication   2 Answers
    • What is overloading and overriding   Answer Question
    • All clients will be connecting to one controller and controller will dispatch events to all the back end server connected to it. How to make sure that all back end server seen updated information so that information served from any of the back end server is consistent.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Egypt, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Egypt, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

phone call then I went to proceed with 5 technical interviews and 1 HR interview
    the process went well and they are so sweet people the technical interviews were pretty hard but this means they select the qualified people

Interview Questions

• what was your name ?   1 Answer
    • what are the differences between the linked list and the array ?   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)) in August 2015.

Interview

An amazon recruiter contacted me soliciting an application, I created and sent an application. He seemed to like my application and he asked me various questions such as citizenship and to submit a programming test. Everything seemed that they were very interested in me and I was invited to a recruiting seminar, then the recruiter suddenly goes silent and fails to deliver the information for the event as the time gets closer I ask for the details then several days later near the day of the event I receive a mail from a different person that I was not selected. Both of these people seemed to be proper company HR out of Seattle. I kindly requested to know why was I not selected only to receive a curt response saying we are unwilling to share that information with you.

0/10 would not try again.
    If HR treats you that way and you don't work for them this is a big red flag.

Interview Questions

• Would you like to join us for an interview in person?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in August 2010.

Interview

It took quite some time (say six weeks) to get a response after I had submitted my resume, and the email came from a recruiter. The phone interview was for a position unrelated to the one for which I had submitted my resume.

Setting up the phone interview took a couple of emails and a phone call, and the software engineer from the team called me precisely on time. He spent about 30 minutes asking me questions and I spent about 20 minutes asking him questions.

The most technical questions were akin to:
        * if you had to keep a list of numeric values, how would you search it for all pairs of values which add to a fixed value?
       * give a back-of-the-envelope OO (class-level) design for a dictionary system

A respectable amount of time was spent asking me about a technical solution I was proud of or a great technical challenge I had overcome.

Interview Questions

• Show a class-level OO design for a dictionary service to be used by clients passing a complete document in for spell-checking.   Answer Question
    • Optimize a system for finding pairs of numeric values in a list which sum to a specified third value.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in January 2011.

Interview

I was applying online on dice/monster and one of the recruiters might have seen my resume so they fixed up an appointment.

I would have to say that I was a little rusty since the last interview I gave was over 4-5 yrs back so I screwed it up. Anyways there were two interviewers in the first interview.

The first one was more friendly, he asked me about Design Patterns, Garbage Collection algorithms, Priority Queue data structure (which DS would you use if you had to implement pop and push methods). Wherever I would get stuck, I would tell him what I am thinking and he would help correct me and I was able to nail it. I had good long chat with him, talked to him about which project are they recruiting for.

The second interviewer didn't seem to like my experience as a lead, he thought it was more of project mgmt. I think it is with him that I might have earned a negative review, but not without screwing up some easy questions. He asked me to write a program to printout words in a string in reverse fashion (so "Hello World" becomes "World", "Hello"). He asked me to write a program and read it out aloud. I fumbled on it. He asked me some database questions like difference b/w primary, unique and null key. Explain a deadlock scenario in Oracle.

Although the real negative part was the Amazon recruiter who was so eager to fix up an interview but didn't have courtesy to mail back and say that i didn't make the cut. I did email her since I had time crunch issues and wanted the interview to move fast if I did make the cut. However guessing it by her non response, I moved on. So typical of companies these days.

I would mark this as positive experience because the interviewers were nice and it did tell me of my shortcomings.

One tip to those due to interview: Go through the list of questions people post here (atleast in the first 10 pages). It the same questions with a little variation.

Interview Questions

• Write a program to reverse words in a string   4 Answers
    • Explain deadlock scenario in Oracle   Answer Question
    • Explain garbage collection algorithms   1 Answer
    • Explain the data structure you would use to implement pop() and push(Object, int) for a Priority Queue.   6 Answers
    • Mention one design pattern used in your project. Give me something good and bad about it.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2012.

Interview

I got an email from a recruiter, went to an interview in the following week. It was an international recruite event. The interview went ok, really enjoyed meeting with those guys from amazon, both recruiter and interviewer. Received a call from hr a few days later, with an job offer for a position based in seattle.

Negotiation

Negotiated some increase in bonus but not too much.