Amazon Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 22, 2017

3.3

117 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Santa Monica, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Had a phone screen and then onsite interview all day. Onsite interview session was grueling. There were 2 interviews in the morning, then lunch and 3 more in the afternoon. All the people I talked to were pretty nice and gave me hints if I was stuck in a question.
Lot of behavioral interview questions. Technical interviews were not too difficult. If you are fairly good with algorithms and data structures, you should do fine. Two system design questions. These were pretty standard too.
Overall I thought i did ok, but looking back, it was a waste of time as I did not get the offer.
Read up on the Amazon leadership principles and have some solid answers ready for behavioral interview questions describing the situation, action, results of your experiences/projects.
Same questions might be asked in different interviews. you can have the same answers as long as your story is consistent.

Interview Questions

• System design questions - design URL shortener , design music streaming service.
    Describe a situation where you disagreed with your manager.
    Describe a time when you worked on a project where you had insufficient data.
    Describe a time when you worked on something you did not have prior experience in, limited domain knowledge etc.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Interview process was fairly technical , with several coding examples to understand thought process....there were around 6 rounds of interview and one interview was over lunch. Interview team was very friendly and I find process very accepting .....

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter through a Job search website for a full time position.
    The response after each interview was super quick (relative to interviews in other companies)
    Once they reject you, seems like the recruiter don't respond to your mail anymore. Pretty rude and unexpected.
    1st phone call was with the recruiter. A 20 minutes conversation. Later he scheduled a day for phone interview.
    1st round was a 45 minute technical phone interview. It went well. The interviewer was supportive and knowledgeable. I enjoyed the interview.
    In couple of days I was told that they want to go ahead with onsite interview. I was thrilled and set a date for 3 weeks later.
    I hated the onsite interview process. I liked that they paid for my travel(from California) and the stay at downtown. The onsite interview was of 4 hours - 5 rounds and NO BREAK for me in between. Why no break? Because the interview started 15 - 20 minutes late and that's why every next interview got overlapped and the interviewee had to suffer. It was utterly exhausting for me and frustrating after 2.5 rounds. I was interviewing after 9 long years and that's why I was uncomfortable, I guess, to ask for breaks in between. But if you are reading this and face similar situation please ask for breaks after every interview.

Interview Questions

• Phone rounds:
      1. Odd/Even number of occurrence of integers in an array
      2. Given an organization structure as a file, print out the employee names and its corresponding reportees in a structured format.   1 Answer
    • Onsite:
      Round 1: Mostly behavioral
      - Any technical challenge I have faced in past? How did I resolve it?
      Any big impact to any of your recent projects?
      How would you convince your manager(reasons/factors) to changing an implementation(a big modification) in a product which is in production currently?

Round 2: Technical
      - Implement merge sort.
      - Graph problem

Round 3: Technical
      - A method to count number of occurrence of words in a file. The objective was to write a clean code rather than an optimized code.

Round 4: Behavioral and Architecture
      - Past project experience
      - Design a messaging app

Round 5: Design/Coding
      - Ideas about implementing a search suggester
      - How will you implement it?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon in March 2017.

Interview

I was contacted from linkedin, asked if I'd be interested in interviewing.
    Had first phone interview after two week, asked for some technical question (algorithm complexity calculation,etc...) no personal questions.
    Second phone inteview, asked for personal questions (quite all about Amazon Leadership principles).
    Third interview, other technical questions (more specific).
    Total of 3 phone interviews.
    Took about 3 months start to finish.
    The interviewers were wonderful. Very smart.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

The whole process was a bit chaotic and feels very reflective of what working at the company would be like.

I was initially referred by a friend who works there. Dealt with a number of different recruiters \ interview schedules until someone could actually schedule a phone screen. The phone screen was straight out of every interviewing book ever.

Getting the onsite interview organized was a similar process. One recruiter initially, handed off to another recruiter, handed off to an interview co-ordinator, back to the recruiter.

The interviews were all pretty much what you'd expect. The interviewer would come in to the room at exactly their slotted time and end the previous interview. They'd introduce themselves and talk about what they work on. They'd ask a few questions about your resume. Then either an algorithm question or a system design question. Then a behavioral ("tell me a time when...") question that is either about a specific Amazon Leadership Principle or about a reality of working at amazon (mostly dealing with being put into situations where there is more work than you can handle).

Pros
    - the process was generally efficient. In spite of the fact that you have to deal with a bunch of recruiters and never really know who's going to contact you, they would reply quickly. I was finished exactly when I was told the day would be done. None of the questions were difficult to see the solution to.
    - the interviews are a strong reflection of the culture of the company; the people are smart, the problems are hard - but expect to be pushed to work hard and have to really commit to the culture.

Cons
    - don't expect much of a conversation when it comes to the technical questions. The question is posed, and then the interviewer will sit there and just type whatever you say or write on the whiteboard.
    - don't expect to get a feel for your team or your co-workers. Everyone I interviewed was from various teams related to the team I was interviewing for but not direct co-workers
    - Expect the 'bar raiser' interview to pick something that's going to be tricky to write on a white board. Just because you understand graph theory and use it every day, it's a whole different ball game trying to create and traverse a graph on a whiteboard while someone is taking notes on everything you write.
    - everything ties back to their "leadership principles". If you really want to work at amazon, learn those, embrace them and come up ahed of time with a situation that lines up with each one so you're prepared when they ask it.

Interview Questions

• Design a simple service for scale and be prepared to defend your design. Data structures (graphs, trees). Behavioral questions that line up with the company values.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Hiring manager reached out to me on LinkedIn and set up an informal chat where he explained about the team and role. The role sounded interesting, so I decided to give this a try. The hiring manager then referred me to a recruiter, who then contacted me to set up a phone screen. The phone screen went well and I was invited to an onsite. At the same time, I was contacted by another team in Amazon who was also interested in interviewing me. So, I set up a combined loop with both teams.
    The onsite had the following rounds:
    1. Coding/Algorithms
    2. System Design Interview
    3. Coding
    4. Lunch (informal, not an interview)
    5. Coding/Design
    6. Behavioral interview
    7. Resume deep dive

Each interviewer (except for the lunch buddy) asks you some question which is related to Amazon's Leadership Principles. So read up about the Leadership Principles and come prepared with a list of examples where you demonstrated some competency related to the LP.

I heard back positive news 2 days after the Phone interview and 4 days after the onsite.

Interview Questions

• 1. Simple backtracking question related to generating permutations
      2. LRU Cache
      3. System Design questions based on the product the team is building
      4. Lots of 'Tell me about a time when ...' types of questions   2 Answers

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon in May 2017.

Interview

At first, I received an email from Amazon. Amazon where hire employees for London, Berlin and
    Vancouver, Then I sent my resume to Amazon. Then I was asked to provide some materials to show my ability for system design, coding language. And they scheduled a phone interview after a few days.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (San Francisco, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Had a phone screening. Then went for a face to face interview. This position was primarily for the Java development. They treated me very well. There were five rounds of the technical interviews on the same day.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself?   1 Answer
    • Data Structure questions. Write Code based on certain algorithms   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

Interview process was first technical interview, where a very low-experinced employee interviewed me on problem solving and solution thinking for 45 minutes. It included using the interactive whiteboard to discuss problems and do just a little simple coding for partial solutions (the problems were too big to solve in a few minutes in an accurate and tested manner).

The issue I have with this process is that it is NOT a reasonable assessment of a senior candidate's experience and skills. When a 5 years or less 'person' interviews a very successful senior engineer with well over 20 years of real world experience, and then does not recommend further interest in the candidate due to lack of skills, well, something is wrong with the system! People think of solutions in different ways, and working together to collaborate on a best solution is what good engineering is about. A barely-out-of-being-junior engineer cannot come close to understanding what that is like in the world outside of Amazon.
    I would not work with such a person, even if they had made an offer.

Interview Questions

• Something about searching a string for sequences of characters and counts of them.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (San Jose, CA) in May 2013.

Interview

Recruiter emailed me, and after exchanging emails and talked over the phone, I had Phone screening, the interview was too long, the question was too complicated, and the end result, I did not make it for the next stage.

Interview Questions

• * Takes a list of strings representing either operators or operands and returns
       * the result of a reverse-polish notation calculation on them
       * Sample output:
       * {"4", "1", "+", "2", "*"} -> ((4 + 1) * 2) -> 10
       * {"5", "8", "4", "/", "+"} -> (5 + (8 / 4)) -> 7
       * Supported operators are +, -, *, and /
       * @param ops the series of operators and operands to operate on
       * @return a Double equal to the result of the calculation
       * @throws IllegalArgumentException if ops does not represent a well-formed RPN expression
       * @throws ArithmeticException if the expression generates an arithmetic error, such as dividing by zero
       */   2 Answers