Amazon Senior Technical Program Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Senior Technical Program Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Amazon

3.4

Senior Technical Program Manager Interview

Interview

Initial round is with recruiter followed by phone interview. Interview went for an hour. If selected then recruiter follow up for scheduling onsite interview. Onsite interview is 5 rounds of interview

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in December 2019.

Interview

It was one of the smoothest process. Started with recruiting team calling, followed by phone screening and then all seven formal rounds. Additionally there were process to check for writing skills which I think was required for my job and level.

Interview Questions

• All the questions are based on Leadership Principles and your situations aligning to those principles. All the questions are behavioural / STAR type questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in October 2019.

Interview

Scouted by a recruiter and who helped start the process. Overall their recruiting process is one if the best. They keep you informed and updated every step of the way.... Except the decentralized teams do not help with this. Phone screen w hiring manager was set up quickly. They then scheduled my onsite loop 3-4 weeks out. Completed writing exercise in the mean time. It was time for onsite interview. The interviewers seemed disorganized and were from different teams than the team I applied for. By the fourth interview with hiring manager, he informed me that the position I applied for had filled and were considering me for some other Team... Thanks for the heads up. Overall it was a tough interview. A lot of the same questions over and over from different people worded differently. Not very efficient for a full day interview. Maybe let candidates know if a position fills by the time they interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Phoenix, AZ) in September 2019.

Interview

PS: I currently work for a fortune 100 company.
     I am really confused on what Amazon look for .
    Hiring leader had calls before the interview and after discussions he /she thought i am a fit. Before the interview I had explained that I may not have some of the skills they seek . They said its ok, so I thought they are ok .My current role in my present company is solution architect and they seem to like what I am doing . I was not sure if I suit for the TPM role so requested a call with HM and all went well. But the interview turned out differently, I was questioned on many project management and program management questions . Though some of the questions I was able to answer as I was doing those activities in my present role but some were not (pure PM ).

They rejected me , I don't want to ask the reasons as they give some unreal reasons as they before.

Overall i am confused with their process. If they thought I am not perfect they should not have gone forward. If they thought I am fit , then they should have stuck to my experience and skills while interviewing . Amazon needs to connect their interviewers feedback and cascade notes from earlier discussions in time . This disconnect probably have affected my interview .

At the EOD , my gut is ,I did well . It was a good experience .I am sure similar interview elsewhere would have turned out in my favor.

Interview Questions

• You have a service V1 , V2 has been developed recently but not being consumed this service internally is being consumed by 100 systems. How would you move from V1 to V2 from a , what will be your plan.   1 Answer
    • Regular questions like , have you ever improved a system or service without being asked by the customer, how will handle multiple teams within the program , how did you handle unforeseen issues   2 Answers
    • There is a internal customer or consumer of your service who is not benefiting from your service improvements ,how will you convince them to use your service .   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in August 2019.

Interview

1 round of phone interview, if they find you good, next round will be Onsite interview with 5-6 employees. Many principle questions and system architecture related. Many of them are good in their job so expect some good design questions based on your past experience but there were will few who will be just taking your interview for rejection(Just in case if they find you better than them) as they are not upto date with market standards them-self.
    Overall most of them were good but lot of hypothetical questions. I had 4 good rounds ,1 average round but the last interview taken by the guy, I felt he was not fair in taking interview. His question was very hypothetical and I felt was feeling inferior due to the jargon's I was using. I am thinking he would be the one who would have gone negative on me, I was surprised when I heard that I am not selected as out of 6- if 4 rounds were good , you will start feeling confident of selection but I always doubted of the last round due to negative vibes emitted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in June 2019.

Interview

Went through recruiters screen, phone interview with manager, writing exercise and 2nd phone meeting. Went for onsite loop interviewed with 5 people, 4 team and 1 bar raiser. Bar raiser was last of day and they seemed uninterested like they would rather be somewhere else. Post interview got call from hr and mtg invite for 30 minute video chat next day. HR called and took 15 seconds to say no thanks. Amazon never give any feedback not even when or if you should reapply. That's my biggest issue. I'd done my homework and prepped for LP STAR questions etc. I believe that the bar raiser killed me.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you disagreed on a solution with another team.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (San Jose, CA) in June 2019.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me for Amazon Catalog team Sr TPM position. We discussed my skills and b/g at length to ensure there isnt any mismatched and in next few days I got a follow-up call for phone screen. My phone screen got rescheduled multiple times due to lack of interviewer availability and in that midst they possibly refined the job req for specific skill sets they were looking was.

Finally when my phone screen was scheduled the interviewer on the phone was extremely rude and demeaning. He downplayed my skill set right from the start. I was putting up for good 30 min and patiently answering questions hoping it was just how he sounded on the phone. Towards the end when it was time for me to ask questions, I asked him about the role and expectations from TPM. Instead of giving me a good picture of expectations this person decided to grill me further on what i understood about the expectations from this role and what recruiter had told me. Pathetic to say the very least.

Interview Questions

• 1) how much time you spend on technical? how much time on program management? what is ur program management style? what is a java construct? what is a field in java? say you are trying to make music content available to customers for first time, how would you go about it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2019.

Interview

1 phone screen and 5 rounds of onsite interview.
    Pretty smooth and positive type interviewing i.e. no artificial, made up questions. No trick questions and no intent to grill for pleasure.
    Very objective questioning.
    HR recruiter actually preps you on what to prepare, how to prepare before going to the onsite interview.
    Interviewers were very respectful of my time and made a lot of notes.
    I did a lot of whiteboarding to set project context, explain situations, project plans etc. and it was all conversational style.
    They take you out for lunch and make it clear that it is not to judge you. It is to relax you and allow you to ask anything about Amazon.

Also they love the writing culture and make you write an essay on a specific issue, before you come to the interview. They don't necessarily review it in the meeting, but do review it offline to make sure you fit into the writing culture.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you were given hard feedback and how did you react/take it?   1 Answer
    • Tell me a time when you went beyond your job duties.   2 Answers

Senior Technical Program Manager Interview

Interview

Was referred internally by a friend for a Senior Technical Program Manager position in the AWS team. Got an email a few days later from a recruiter asking for a phone call. Recruiter was nice and after talking for about 15 mins , she said she would pass me to the next interview with the hiring manager. This was scheduled as a 1 hour phone interview. She explained that the structure would consist of behavior questions, technical questions and situational questions involving the “leadership principles” of amazon.

During the 1 hour phone interview , The interviewer was a bit of a jerk and asked situational questions that were pretty difficult. At no point in the call did I connect with the interviewer or get any positive emotion out of him. It felt like he was going out of his way to purposely be stiff, as if it was a part of the interviewing process. He also kept asking follow-up questions to probe more into extreme detail about metrics relating to the answers I gave him, which I wasn’t 100% prepared for.

Overall , the experience wasn’t great and definitely reinforced a lot of the negativity that surrounds Amazons work culture. After the interview, I sent a thank you note and didn’t hear back for over a week. I sent a follow up to the recruiter and then received a rejection notice, which mentioned that amazon doesn’t provide feedback on interviews. Anyway , I’m sure I could’ve done a better job on the phone screen but after the call I kept thinking about how bad it could be to work for that guy in this potential new position. I probably dodged a bullet.

If you’re interviewing with aws as a TPM - know all your performance metrics on projects in great detail, understand and tie in leadership principals with your experience, and try not to give into the Smug attitude l.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had to chose a short term sacrifice for a long term gain. What was the decision making process on that ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in August 2018.

Interview

Amazon recruiter contacted me with an opportunity. Quickly setup a call with the recruiter, then setup 2 Technical Phone Screens + 6 person On-Site interview. The process was very fast. Working with the recruiter was very pleasant.

Interview Questions

• The interview was broken down into mostly 2 parts:
      System Design and Situational questions based on Amazon Leadership principles.

3 interviewers asked me system design questions like:
      1. design a database schema for a certain configuration manager
      2. Design a service that can handle hundreds of thousand transactions to be executed at a very specific time of the day (think about scale and error conditions)
      3. Another question was about a real life problem that the interviewing team was having. I was asked to come up with a viable solution, design the system for the solution and define the APIs for each box (service) in my solution.

The other 3 interviewers mostly asked situational questions based on 1 or more Amazon leadership principles. Note, the interviewer will not reveal which leadership principle they are probing on.   Answer Question