Amazon Senior Technical Program Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 19, 2017

3.5

65 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Technical Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon in August 2017.

Interview

Very easy process, applied online and received an email for phone interview.
Was informed to go through few Leadership Principles and prepare.I think the process is more, a few more interviews will be there in future.Let's see...how it goes in the coming weeks.

Interview Questions

• What is the most difficult projects you have worked? How did you handle conflict there?
    What are the lessons learned and how can you ensure not to repeat that in future? Any questions you have about Amazon? How can you perform better?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Cambridge, MA) in July 2017.

Interview

Phone interview recruiter
    Phone interview other senior TPM
    Phone interview hiring senior TPM
    On-site interviews with 5 or 6 people

Rigorous interviewing, hard selection, but no feedback on why I wasn't hired. Good people, but a hard culture I expect.

Interview Questions

• Q: Describe you toughest project and what you did to get it finished.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Very good interview process. all the interviewers were good and wanted to know more about your skillset and capabilities. They want to know more about leadership capabilities and your role as a leader

Interview Questions

• what is the most innovative thing you have in your projects till date   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Recruiter approached me via LinkedIn. First level of screening is phone interview for an hour. Final screening had a writing exercise and 5 rounds of in-person interview with panelists at Amazon office.
    Tip is to have many different impactful examples for the same scenario as it can be asked multiple times.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioral and scenario based questions like
      1. Toughest situation you have faced and how did you overcome?
      2. When did u disagree with the entire team and why?
      3. How did you manage when a project deadline was missed?
      4. Most innovative idea / value add provided.
      5. How many teams you have coordinated with in a project? Challenges?
      6.Why Amazon?   1 Answer
    • Final rounds were technical and design questions like
      1. Design a payment system.
      2. How will you display the last searched items and related items to a user.   Answer Question
    • ..   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

One phone interview around both technical and project management. On-site consisted of 5 rounds of technical and program/project management. Some focused heavily on technical but no coding questions. It was more around architecture, best practices, toughest challenge resolved technically.

Interview Questions

• Situational requirements gathering. Was asked around statistical models such normal distribution etc.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

Two HR calls and then a phone screen with an existing TPM in Seattle who had no idea what team I work for and seemed totally disinterested. He asked me the same questions over and over and seemed totally unimpressed with anything I had to say. I was glad when the call ended. The interviewer was a young guy with zero sense of personality or experience of working in the corporate environment (I've been doing this for 20 years).

It's weird since HR were swooning over my resume and sent me all these documents explaining how technical the call would be. There were zero technical questions just odd questions about if people worked for me and what I was previously responsible for.

Apparently 90% of phone screens end badly and I can see why.

Interview Questions

• Have you done anything innovative at all in the last five years?   2 Answers
    • Did people work for you? It wasn't clear before so did they work you?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

Recruiter reached out directly through Linked In and suggested matching post and asked if interested to consider. When I provided consent, a telephonic interview was set up and it lasted for an hour. Received decision within an hour with need for onsite in person interviews. Process was well defined, organized and communicated upfront. Required to submit write up exercise and then 4 in person interviews at onsite which was scheduled providing 2 weeks of lead time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

After talking with a former colleague, I sent him my resume and he forwarded it to a recruiter. After a recruiter call and a technical phone screen, I was invited for an in-person interview for a TPM position.

The interview lasted a five hours - I talked with six different technical folks (including the hiring manager and his skip) as well as the recruiter. I was provided lunch as well - unlike other places, lunch was a time to relax and just eat, not try to answer questions as well. I liked that. A lot.

The recruiter explained how the process would work - I'd talk to everyone that day, then they would convene and debrief on me the following week. They would give her the decision, and she would contact me within a few days of that. Again, compared to other interview processes, I think like this - other companies have an immediate answer with very little discussion between interviewers. Of course, if I don't get an offer (still waiting), I might change my mind.. :-)

The day was long - I sat in one small conference room and interviewers came to me. Each session was 45 minutes long (lunch was an hour), and you spend most of your time talking, so make sure you stay hydrated. The difficulty for me was in talking so much (had a headache by the end of the day), and finding examples from my experience to answer the questions. I wound up using examples from one big project for almost every interviewer because it had issues which touched upon most of their questions - in retrospect, I wish I had a few more experiences lined up to discuss, as I'm afraid there won't be enough variety for them to discuss and compare.

Interview Questions

• Nothing specific stands out - if you've ever done a PM interview (either give one or taken one) with any big company, you know the kind of questions you'll get. "Tell me about a time things didn't go as expected", "tell me about a time you had to take an unpopular position", etc.

There were two "design a solution" questions, but nothing specific (nothing like "what specific HW would you use" or "what language would you use" - remember, TPM role, not Engineer role). They were of the form "how would you do x if your customer asked you for it". Since they were things I hadn't done before, I tried to think of all the things I would need to know, learn, ask, and figure out to implement the solution. Amazon makes a difference between a Technical PM and other PM's, so YMMV if it's not a TPM role.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

Contacted by the recruiter. Shared my resume and then asked if I am interested in Sr. TPM position.
    Recruiter told me that the scheduling coordinator will schedule my technical phone interview with in a couple of days. She didn't. After an email she arranged for the next week.

Phone interview went well and 2 hours later I received an invitation for onsite interview. I was also asked a bunch of questions re logistics and expected salary etc

After sending my answers quickly I was expecting to receive the travel itineraries but for almost a month she did not contact me at all. I have sent several emails and made phone calls to her and the recruiter. 5 days prior to onsite interview I have received the itinerary. Also an email to submit the written portion of my interview.

Onsite interview :

4 interviews.

First round was so called technical interview. From the minute interviewer got into the room Until he left, I could easily tell he was not keen on interviewing me.

He avoided my questions for feature clarification. And when I suggested clarified features he was angry. Said "I wonder why do we need that feature". And I answered as the use case provided by you is not enough to design the system and I think as a customer here, this feature would be very important to me.

Although the recruiter told me that the interviewers won't be tricking you, it was clear that he was trying.

To many solutions I provided, he came with the answer "I don't think you can technically do that". Which I have double checked after interview all
    My answers and solutions were right. Finally when it was my turn to ask questions to the interviewer, I started my question as "you are working with Amazon for Xx years" and he stopped me asking the rest of the question and asked me how I know that. Although looking at interviewer's LinkedIn profile was suggested by the recruiter, he was not happy with that neither.

I have a strong belief why he was trying to tackle me, but having known Amazon's diversity, I do hope I am wrong.

Other 3 interviews went really well, 80% behavioral 20% technical. Enjoyed my time with the interviewers as they were chatty, positive and solution oriented.

Finally, the recruiter has scheduled a phone call with me this morning to say they will not proceed further with me. I wonder why she has decided to do that instead of emailing me 5 days ago. Maybe to give extra few days of anxiety to candidate is more fun !

Overall it was a great experience, I feel unlucky to be interviewed that particular person, I feel lucky that I won't be working with him.

Interview Questions

• NDA! But work on system design and scalability hard although your knowledge and experience might not help you! For behavioral questions look closely to Amazon leadership principles and match them with your experiences.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in August 2016.

Interview

- An Amazon recruiter reached out to me over LinkedIn.
    - I've sent an updated resume to recruiter.
    - 2 phone interviews.
    - 5 onsite interview sessions.
    - offers arrive in 2 day after the onsite.
    - the whole process takes 30 days.

Interview Questions

• Phone interviews:
      - Basic questions about the past experience, the projects I managed
      - Some questions related to Amazon 14 principles, my questions were related to Earn Trust, Ownership and Customer Obsession.

Onsite interview:
      - 5 interview sessions (including lunch)
      - make sure you prepared a few questions in each principles, with examples in STAR format. They will be picked up in the interview.
      - Solution Design: some interviewer will give you a problem and ask you to design a solution. Some others will ask you to describe past projects and its design.   Answer Question