Amazon Senior Technical Program Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Amazon Senior Technical Program Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Amazon

3.4

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in August 2016.

Interview

- An Amazon recruiter reached out to me over LinkedIn.
- I've sent an updated resume to recruiter.
- 2 phone interviews.
- 5 onsite interview sessions.
- offers arrive in 2 day after the onsite.
- the whole process takes 30 days.

Interview Questions

• Phone interviews:
    - Basic questions about the past experience, the projects I managed
    - Some questions related to Amazon 14 principles, my questions were related to Earn Trust, Ownership and Customer Obsession.

Onsite interview:
    - 5 interview sessions (including lunch)
    - make sure you prepared a few questions in each principles, with examples in STAR format. They will be picked up in the interview.
    - Solution Design: some interviewer will give you a problem and ask you to design a solution. Some others will ask you to describe past projects and its design.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2016.

Interview

3 phone interviews followed by a 6 person in person interview. Answered a lot of the same questions for multiple people. Every question was a "Tell me of a time when...". While I get the idea, it's the same thing over and over. Having multiple examples helps. I did receive an offer, which was lower than what they initially told me. Then, when I turned it down the recruiter came back saying they couldn't do anything higher. I said I was happy with where I was at unless they could make it worth it to me and turned down the same offer again. Recruiter never responded and have never heard from them again. Which overall confirmed most likely confirmed my suspicion of how the company really is ran. No follow up, "thanks for interviewing, we're sorry to hear you don't want to join us"...nothing. Just cut off and moved on. Not the type of place I want to work for, thanks for showing me that Amazon.

Interview Questions

• Tell me of a time when....fill in the blank   1 Answer

Senior Technical Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

This was for Amazon Web Services. Went through multiple rounds of interviews. Three of the interviews were over phone. One day onsite all day long interviews. I think I went through six rounds that day. I really enjoyed the questions - they were reasonable and relevant. The interviewers were religiously writing down everything that I was saying. They required the answers to be as detailed as possible.

Interview Questions

• Provide details on how you helped customer resolve an issue.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in June 2016.

Interview

The whole process took over 6 weeks. Had to take an online assessment test. Was a design question. Next, had to take a phone interview. Behavioral interview. Interviewer touched upon architecture and design a little bit. Was offered to come on-site for a interview loop. Before the on-site interview was asked to submit a writing exercise. Onsite interview very good. Focus on Amazon leadership principles. I thought I did pretty well. Amazonians are looking for very specific answers. Maybe some of my answers were not very detailed or specific. I did not get an offer. But, was very positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Cannot reveal questions as I signed NDA.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in June 2016.

Interview

This was a phone screen. It lasted for an hour and the interviewer spent time describing the position and the team. He initially asked how i'd like to proceed, either by him telling me about the position or him starting with questions. Interesting way to start an interview and set a comfortable tone for the interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the architecture of the last system you worked on.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about when you had to deal with a cross functional team.   Answer Question
    • What's the largest project you worked on?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2016.

Interview

A recruiter contacted via LinkedIn and shared job profile. Had some initial discussions on the aspirations and my history.

There were two telephonic rounds - one with hiring manager and other with a Principal TPM. The first interview went well, and I was informed about the second one.

The first one was focused on personality conflicts experienced and how to go past them, technological bottlenecks faced, deliveries out of usual role.

The second one was mainly on challenging projects in past and what-if types of questions around a project's typical life cycle.

Both the interviewers presented the role and provided an opportunity to ask questions.

Interview Questions

• Near the end of a complex project, you realize that there are grave integration issues risking the project. What will be your approach to deliver the project still on time?   2 Answers
    • You realize that a website you own doesn't have a good user experience. How would you improve the website for that goal? How will you identify and prioritize the areas of concern?   2 Answers
    • Tell me something that you learnt outside of your projects.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2016.

Interview

Pretty straightforward process, couple of phone rounds and then a full day interview at Amazon, Seattle. Interview questions are primarily start around leadership principles but interviewers keep double clicking on the answers. Design questions on real time problems and finally new product challenges. I loved the converstaions

Interview Questions

• One sample question - Should Amazon compete in transportation services like Uber? Why? propose a business model that comprises of services, costing and forcasting etc. - followup question was - i like now make it better.. (it went for 3 iterations)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

Recruiter reached out directly through Linked In and suggested matching post and asked if interested to consider. When I provided consent, a telephonic interview was set up and it lasted for an hour. Received decision within an hour with need for onsite in person interviews. Process was well defined, organized and communicated upfront. Required to submit write up exercise and then 4 in person interviews at onsite which was scheduled providing 2 weeks of lead time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

After talking with a former colleague, I sent him my resume and he forwarded it to a recruiter. After a recruiter call and a technical phone screen, I was invited for an in-person interview for a TPM position.

The interview lasted a five hours - I talked with six different technical folks (including the hiring manager and his skip) as well as the recruiter. I was provided lunch as well - unlike other places, lunch was a time to relax and just eat, not try to answer questions as well. I liked that. A lot.

The recruiter explained how the process would work - I'd talk to everyone that day, then they would convene and debrief on me the following week. They would give her the decision, and she would contact me within a few days of that. Again, compared to other interview processes, I think like this - other companies have an immediate answer with very little discussion between interviewers. Of course, if I don't get an offer (still waiting), I might change my mind.. :-)

The day was long - I sat in one small conference room and interviewers came to me. Each session was 45 minutes long (lunch was an hour), and you spend most of your time talking, so make sure you stay hydrated. The difficulty for me was in talking so much (had a headache by the end of the day), and finding examples from my experience to answer the questions. I wound up using examples from one big project for almost every interviewer because it had issues which touched upon most of their questions - in retrospect, I wish I had a few more experiences lined up to discuss, as I'm afraid there won't be enough variety for them to discuss and compare.

Interview Questions

• Nothing specific stands out - if you've ever done a PM interview (either give one or taken one) with any big company, you know the kind of questions you'll get. "Tell me about a time things didn't go as expected", "tell me about a time you had to take an unpopular position", etc.

There were two "design a solution" questions, but nothing specific (nothing like "what specific HW would you use" or "what language would you use" - remember, TPM role, not Engineer role). They were of the form "how would you do x if your customer asked you for it". Since they were things I hadn't done before, I tried to think of all the things I would need to know, learn, ask, and figure out to implement the solution. Amazon makes a difference between a Technical PM and other PM's, so YMMV if it's not a TPM role.   2 Answers

Senior Technical Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon in September 2016.

Interview

Phone screen/interview.

The Amazon recruiter did not tell me anything about the phone interview. Not what to expect...type of questions...nothing (I always like to prep for interviews).

Phone screen: I spoke with a manager and the questions he asked were asinine and irrelevant to the job role. Clearly this person was out of his depth for the job he was doing. The questions were not related to technology nor were they any sort of behavior questions. I hate to use this word but ...it was a stupid waste of time interview. And just to qualify this...I have worked as an IT consultant for over 10 years and I have interviewed a lot. This was the by far the most clueless interviewer I have ever had the displeasure to talk with!

Also, the interviewer was talking from a cell phone that had a bad connection and he spoke with a heavy Indian accent. His phone was cutting in and out during the phone screen and his accent made him difficult to understand.

FYI: Due to the above issues I marked this interview and difficult.