Amazon Senior Technical Program Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Senior Technical Program Manager Interview Questions

Updated Feb 4, 2017

3.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

After talking with a former colleague, I sent him my resume and he forwarded it to a recruiter. After a recruiter call and a technical phone screen, I was invited for an in-person interview for a TPM position.

The interview lasted a five hours - I talked with six different technical folks (including the hiring manager and his skip) as well as the recruiter. I was provided lunch as well - unlike other places, lunch was a time to relax and just eat, not try to answer questions as well. I liked that. A lot.

The recruiter explained how the process would work - I'd talk to everyone that day, then they would convene and debrief on me the following week. They would give her the decision, and she would contact me within a few days of that. Again, compared to other interview processes, I think like this - other companies have an immediate answer with very little discussion between interviewers. Of course, if I don't get an offer (still waiting), I might change my mind.. :-)

The day was long - I sat in one small conference room and interviewers came to me. Each session was 45 minutes long (lunch was an hour), and you spend most of your time talking, so make sure you stay hydrated. The difficulty for me was in talking so much (had a headache by the end of the day), and finding examples from my experience to answer the questions. I wound up using examples from one big project for almost every interviewer because it had issues which touched upon most of their questions - in retrospect, I wish I had a few more experiences lined up to discuss, as I'm afraid there won't be enough variety for them to discuss and compare.

Interview Questions

• Nothing specific stands out - if you've ever done a PM interview (either give one or taken one) with any big company, you know the kind of questions you'll get. "Tell me about a time things didn't go as expected", "tell me about a time you had to take an unpopular position", etc.

There were two "design a solution" questions, but nothing specific (nothing like "what specific HW would you use" or "what language would you use" - remember, TPM role, not Engineer role). They were of the form "how would you do x if your customer asked you for it". Since they were things I hadn't done before, I tried to think of all the things I would need to know, learn, ask, and figure out to implement the solution. Amazon makes a difference between a Technical PM and other PM's, so YMMV if it's not a TPM role.
    2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

Contacted by the recruiter. Shared my resume and then asked if I am interested in Sr. TPM position.
    Recruiter told me that the scheduling coordinator will schedule my technical phone interview with in a couple of days. She didn't. After an email she arranged for the next week.

Phone interview went well and 2 hours later I received an invitation for onsite interview. I was also asked a bunch of questions re logistics and expected salary etc

After sending my answers quickly I was expecting to receive the travel itineraries but for almost a month she did not contact me at all. I have sent several emails and made phone calls to her and the recruiter. 5 days prior to onsite interview I have received the itinerary. Also an email to submit the written portion of my interview.

Onsite interview :

4 interviews.

First round was so called technical interview. From the minute interviewer got into the room Until he left, I could easily tell he was not keen on interviewing me.

He avoided my questions for feature clarification. And when I suggested clarified features he was angry. Said "I wonder why do we need that feature". And I answered as the use case provided by you is not enough to design the system and I think as a customer here, this feature would be very important to me.

Although the recruiter told me that the interviewers won't be tricking you, it was clear that he was trying.

To many solutions I provided, he came with the answer "I don't think you can technically do that". Which I have double checked after interview all
    My answers and solutions were right. Finally when it was my turn to ask questions to the interviewer, I started my question as "you are working with Amazon for Xx years" and he stopped me asking the rest of the question and asked me how I know that. Although looking at interviewer's LinkedIn profile was suggested by the recruiter, he was not happy with that neither.

I have a strong belief why he was trying to tackle me, but having known Amazon's diversity, I do hope I am wrong.

Other 3 interviews went really well, 80% behavioral 20% technical. Enjoyed my time with the interviewers as they were chatty, positive and solution oriented.

Finally, the recruiter has scheduled a phone call with me this morning to say they will not proceed further with me. I wonder why she has decided to do that instead of emailing me 5 days ago. Maybe to give extra few days of anxiety to candidate is more fun !

Overall it was a great experience, I feel unlucky to be interviewed that particular person, I feel lucky that I won't be working with him.

Interview Questions

• NDA! But work on system design and scalability hard although your knowledge and experience might not help you! For behavioral questions look closely to Amazon leadership principles and match them with your experiences.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Issaquah, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Issaquah, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

Very smooth. Recruiter, Andres, was amazing. Always kept my informed and updated .He spent quite a bit of time with me to help me prepare and provided excellent feedback. He also gave me insight into the feedback of other interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral in nature and they want specific answers .they really drill deep into your responses .   1 Answer

Negotiation

Still in progress

Senior Technical Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon in September 2016.

Interview

Phone screen/interview.

The Amazon recruiter did not tell me anything about the phone interview. Not what to expect...type of questions...nothing (I always like to prep for interviews).

Phone screen: I spoke with a manager and the questions he asked were asinine and irrelevant to the job role. Clearly this person was out of his depth for the job he was doing. The questions were not related to technology nor were they any sort of behavior questions. I hate to use this word but ...it was a stupid waste of time interview. And just to qualify this...I have worked as an IT consultant for over 10 years and I have interviewed a lot. This was the by far the most clueless interviewer I have ever had the displeasure to talk with!

Also, the interviewer was talking from a cell phone that had a bad connection and he spoke with a heavy Indian accent. His phone was cutting in and out during the phone screen and his accent made him difficult to understand.

FYI: Due to the above issues I marked this interview and difficult.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in August 2016.

Interview

- An Amazon recruiter reached out to me over LinkedIn.
    - I've sent an updated resume to recruiter.
    - 2 phone interviews.
    - 5 onsite interview sessions.
    - offers arrive in 2 day after the onsite.
    - the whole process takes 30 days.

Interview Questions

• Phone interviews:
      - Basic questions about the past experience, the projects I managed
      - Some questions related to Amazon 14 principles, my questions were related to Earn Trust, Ownership and Customer Obsession.

Onsite interview:
      - 5 interview sessions (including lunch)
      - make sure you prepared a few questions in each principles, with examples in STAR format. They will be picked up in the interview.
      - Solution Design: some interviewer will give you a problem and ask you to design a solution. Some others will ask you to describe past projects and its design.
      Answer Question

Senior Technical Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

This was for Amazon Web Services. Went through multiple rounds of interviews. Three of the interviews were over phone. One day onsite all day long interviews. I think I went through six rounds that day. I really enjoyed the questions - they were reasonable and relevant. The interviewers were religiously writing down everything that I was saying. They required the answers to be as detailed as possible.

Interview Questions

• Provide details on how you helped customer resolve an issue.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in June 2016.

Interview

This was a phone screen. It lasted for an hour and the interviewer spent time describing the position and the team. He initially asked how i'd like to proceed, either by him telling me about the position or him starting with questions. Interesting way to start an interview and set a comfortable tone for the interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the architecture of the last system you worked on.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about when you had to deal with a cross functional team.   Answer Question
    • What's the largest project you worked on?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in June 2016.

Interview

The whole process took over 6 weeks. Had to take an online assessment test. Was a design question. Next, had to take a phone interview. Behavioral interview. Interviewer touched upon architecture and design a little bit. Was offered to come on-site for a interview loop. Before the on-site interview was asked to submit a writing exercise. Onsite interview very good. Focus on Amazon leadership principles. I thought I did pretty well. Amazonians are looking for very specific answers. Maybe some of my answers were not very detailed or specific. I did not get an offer. But, was very positive experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2016.

Interview

3 phone interviews followed by a 6 person in person interview. Answered a lot of the same questions for multiple people. Every question was a "Tell me of a time when...". While I get the idea, it's the same thing over and over. Having multiple examples helps. I did receive an offer, which was lower than what they initially told me. Then, when I turned it down the recruiter came back saying they couldn't do anything higher. I said I was happy with where I was at unless they could make it worth it to me and turned down the same offer again. Recruiter never responded and have never heard from them again. Which overall confirmed most likely confirmed my suspicion of how the company really is ran. No follow up, "thanks for interviewing, we're sorry to hear you don't want to join us"...nothing. Just cut off and moved on. Not the type of place I want to work for, thanks for showing me that Amazon.

Interview Questions

• Tell me of a time when....fill in the blank   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2016.

Interview

A recruiter contacted via LinkedIn and shared job profile. Had some initial discussions on the aspirations and my history.

There were two telephonic rounds - one with hiring manager and other with a Principal TPM. The first interview went well, and I was informed about the second one.

The first one was focused on personality conflicts experienced and how to go past them, technological bottlenecks faced, deliveries out of usual role.

The second one was mainly on challenging projects in past and what-if types of questions around a project's typical life cycle.

Both the interviewers presented the role and provided an opportunity to ask questions.

Interview Questions

• Near the end of a complex project, you realize that there are grave integration issues risking the project. What will be your approach to deliver the project still on time?   2 Answers
    • You realize that a website you own doesn't have a good user experience. How would you improve the website for that goal? How will you identify and prioritize the areas of concern?   1 Answer
    • Tell me something that you learnt outside of your projects.   Answer Question