Amazon Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 19, 2017

3.2

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon in May 2014.

Interview

I applied through a friend whose team was hiring in Seattle Area. They called me up and we had a brief chat about setting up the interview.

Once the interview was setup I got a call from them on a Friday and the interview process lasted 30 minutes. Yes 30 minutes, it was that bad.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon in October 2011.

Interview

I received mail from a recruiter that my resume has been shortlisted from Monster.com. I had 4 back to back interviews in Seattle

Interview Questions

• What is cache. What data structures would you use for it. Replacement techniques   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in February 2011.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and only had my phone interview 2 weeks later. I had to reschedule my interview, because they flaked on the first. The low life recruiters they hired there are very unresponsive and impossible to get a hold of.

First off, if you were contacted by the recruiter like I was, this is called fishing. These guys are fishing for the brightest minds in the country. Be prepared to answer some impossible questions. My uncle is a senior software engineer at Oracle, and even he laughed at some of the questions that were posted here on this website as interview questions. Basically, don't feel bad if don't pass the interview process. Amazon.com isn't what its cracked up to be. Besides, if you somehow squeak by the interviews and get hired, are you really going to be happy competing with Joe Blow, who codes for fun at home?

Get a life JOE!

Okay on to the questions:

These guys love the following topics: Binary Trees and Binary Search Trees, Searching Algorithms (Quick, Bubble, Merge, etc...), Hash Tables, Strings, and Algorithm Complexity. Know the differences between Java and C++. If you know the following topics inside and out, you should be golden. Just don't tell them your a crazy psychopath looking for your next victim and you should get that cube next to Joe. =)

Good luck.

If you haven't already looked for jobs at Intel, I suggest you do. Believe it or not, Intel does software too. I did an internship there over the summer. Awesome place to work. They don't put you through the ringer like these communists at Amazon.com do.

Interview Questions

• Cure world hunger.   39 Answers
    • Invent a car that doesn't run out of gas.   Answer Question
    • Calculate the trajectory of a satellite destined for asynchronous orbit if it was launched from Kennedy Space Center and its velocity and acceleration were proportional to the Bull S&*^ those first 2 questions were all about!   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

After passing an online assessment, I was called in for an on-site interview. The on-site interview consisted of four 1-hour sessions (1 on 1). Each session started with behavioral questions and then moved to a whiteboard coding problem.

Interview Questions

• Behaviorial questions were related to Amazon's leadership principles. They asked for examples of how you demonstrated certain traits. Whiteboard coding problems were related to data structures, algorithms, OOD, and scalability.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied through career fair on my campus, later they contacted me and we had phone interviews, I believe there were 2 interviews as well as an online coding exam, then I went in for onsite group interview. The group interview was odd to say the least, we were randomly paired with a group and we had to work together to create a product by the end of the day. We didn't get much feedback and it was really tiring.

Interview Questions

• Spent the day with a group coding their problem.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madrid (Spain)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Madrid (Spain)) in March 2016.

Interview

The whole process consists of a online programming test, a phone interview, and finally an on-site interview. The first step was easy, I think its just a filter to ensure that you know programming. The second one was not so difficult at all, but it will make you think more your answers. The last one was the harder part, it consisted on a set of four interviews, the first one with your (hopefully) future manager, and the next three with other technical roles.
    If you dont get an offer you will not get any feedback either, which I think is the worst part after the time you invested on the whole process.

Interview Questions

• You will be asked about situations related with the Amazon leadership principles, which will be send to you in advance by your HR contact person.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Chennai (India)) in October 2016.

Interview

first we have to give computer based exam after that we have to go for personel interview and atlast we HR round and they tell us about working and asked some tricky questions

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Raleigh, NC) in May 2016.

Interview

Cold called, told that they are conducting interviews on campus next week. Went to interview, it was extremely technical. Two interviews in one day. Involved data structures in the interviews, anything seems to be on the table for the interview.

Software Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Delhi (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (New Delhi (India)) in August 2016.

Interview

Amazon shortlisted around 30 candidates for the interview. There were 2 rounds for the entire process, both technical. The interviewers were friendly and answered all my queries after the interviews concluded. The second interview was comparitively difficult.In short, Amazon lived up to its reputation.

Software Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in October 2015.

Interview

Applied through college. Got call within the week. Three interviews. 30 - 45 minutes each. Topics covered are networks, OOP, and algorithms. Interview itself is quite relaxed and people interviewing are cool.

Interview Questions

• What is a class and object? Draw a UML diagram of a class with its objects? What happens when you type amazon.com into your browser? Given an array and a number, find all unique pairs in the array that add up to the number.....then optimize??*clue___use hashing.   Answer Question