Amazon Software Development Engineer I Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Software Development Engineer I Interview Questions

Updated Apr 11, 2017

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in September 2016.

Interview

One 45 minute phone call with coding on an IDE followed by an onsite with 4 technical interviews (coding on whiteboard) one non-technical and one lunch. Know your data structures and read cracking the coding interview. However, as the recruiter pointed out, technical skills are just as important as company fit. Know the leadership principles and have stories ready.

Interview Questions

• I signed an NDA and I will respect it. However, questions were related to algorithms and data structures as well as OOP.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Bengaluru (India)) in September 2014.

Interview

1 telephonic round
    4 technical
    1 bar raiser round
    Main focus on data structure and algorithm.
    Geeks for geeks can help folks preparing for interviews.Be confident and never give up.Work life is not so great but if you are ready to compromise there then they are ready to welcome you on board.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

I applied out of college through their website. I was then flown out to Seattle for an onsite interview. The day started with everyone in a large group. They provided a pizza lunch and an opportunity to talk with amazon employees. I then had 4 back-to-back interivews each lasting 45 min to an hour. I stayed in the same room while each new interviewer came to me. The interviews consisted of a variety of general concept questions as well as programming problems where I wrote code on a white board.

Interview Questions

• Many programming questions on a white board. Both coding and design questions as well as general computer science questions about data structures.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hyderabad (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Hyderabad (India)) in January 2013.

Interview

One online round in which there were objective questions regarding Computer Science fundamentals and C programming basic and puzzles were asked followed by 2 programs to be written. After clearing this there were three grueling interview rounds.

Interview Questions

• Algorithm for searching for a piece in an infinitely large chess board using a knight piece.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hyderabad (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Amazon (Hyderabad (India)) in June 2011.

Interview

I got a call from Amazon on a friday. I was offered to appear for an online test. Because of personal commitments I was not able to take the test. I took the test on the next weekend. I got a call from the HR on the next Tuesday where she scheduled a telephonic interview for me with the Hiring Manager. This telephonic interview, as a company policy, might be with anyone. There were 2 technical questions posed to me for which I had to verbally speak the code.
    Q1: Implement a stack with the getMinimum() function apart from the other basic functions.
    A: using another array as a minStack. if(e < minStack.peek()) minStack.push(). if(poppedElement == minStack.peek()) minStack.pop();
    Q2: There is an array of numbers where the number are continuously increasing until any position. After which they are continuously decreasing. Find the element where this has changed.
    A: binary search.

After the telephonic Interviews, I was called for onsite interviews where there were 5 rounds. Each of them had 2 questions. All technical and problem solving.

I dont remember all the questions now.

Interview Questions

• Consider Str1 and Str2. Tell me the number of occurrences of the cyclic substring of str2 in str1.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was negotiation on the joining bonus as well as the basic salary. the increments were 50% and ~10% respectively.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in November 2011.

Interview

I had already gone through one phone screen which went very well. I was contacted via email by my recruiter to set up an onsite interview. I was in Seattle, WA for 3 days, 2 nights in a nice hotel not far from HQ in the heart of downtown Seattle. The interview was administered on the second day. It went from 11-4 and included 5 1:1 interviews—including the non-technical, hiring manager interview during lunch. Aside from the lunch interview—which was one hour long—all of the interviews were 45 minutes long. Amazon lives up to the reputation of administering difficult interviews. I was asked design questions, algorithm questions, language-specific knowledge questions, and various other questions.
    All in all, I really enjoyed the experience. The people I met were genuine and real. It was obvious that you could simply be yourself at Amazon; from your opinions to your clothing, they not only allow you to be yourself, the demand it.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that takes an integer and counts the number of bits.   3 Answers
    • Design an LRU cache   1 Answer
    • Design and describe the classes you would use when implementing the card game War.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate. I was offered 90k as an SDE I. I feel that is a very fair salary for the position. My advice is, consider what you are offered; if you feel it is less than what you are worth for the position being offered, then negotiate.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon in April 2014.

Interview

Application
    I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Next Education India (Hyderabad).

Interview
    Firstly written exam with 20 questions in which we have aptitude, technical and also some programs. We have to write code for some programs Except that every thing is easy. Programs related to C, DS etc. Secondly we have 2 technical rounds which includes questions related to C ,DS, DBMS JAVA etc. After that we have HR which is more about yourself .

• Application

1 Answer

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in December 2016.

Interview

2 phone interviews, 5 in person plus 1 online tes, some interviews were good some others looked bored and uninterested. They give absolutely no feedback, however they send a feedback form to gather yours!

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Bengaluru (India)) in February 2016.

Interview

I had 5 rounds of interview, one more rigorous that the other.

Two of them focussed on technical expertise, programming skills.
    Two of them focussed on my prior projects and achievements, about my start up
    One of them focussed on culture fit and why Amazon?

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Coimbatore (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Coimbatore (India)).

Interview

Initial HackerRank based screaning, and then basic data structures and algorithms questions and a few behavioral questions. The interviewers were nice and friendly, so no issues there. There were around 3 one on one interviews for an intern and two more to get full time offers.

Interview Questions

• They asked me basic sorting algorithms and a few thread based questions.   Answer Question