Amazon Software Development Engineer I Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Software Development Engineer I Interview Questions

Updated May 18, 2017

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

2 Online Assessment, people say there should be a phone interview after this. But I got invited to the onsite after the 2 assessments. Flew me down to Seattle, paid for my hotel and reimbursed food and transportation. On-Site lasted about 5 hours. 1 hour for each interview. 1 behavioral question and 1 technical question or 2 technical questions based on speed. Relatively easy questions nothing like the Cracking the Code interview types. You are interviewing with 5 other people so if you don't get the job don't feel bad. I didn't.

Interview Questions

• Signed an NDA, I think it's valid for only six months after expiry I'll come and update this   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in March 2017.

Interview

Two Online Assessment and one onsite interview at Vancouver office. First OA consists of debugging and reasoning questions, second OA has three coding question. Onsite is 1:1 technical interview, 4 rounds in total

Interview Questions

• A lot of BQs, an OOP design question, some pretty easy algorithm questions including Roman to Integer and how to shuffle a deck of cards.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

Starts with an online debug and code challenge. A couple weeks later I got another online work simulation and code challenge. Finally got an email to come in for a in person interview which would be a group assessment.

3 stages in all and got an offer a week after the group assessment.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Interview

I applied to a couple of jobs on amazon.jobs. After a few weeks an automated university recruiter contacted me with a short IQ like test and debugging. After that I was sent another test that was simulating a day at amazon and has 2 code challenge questions. After 2 weeks they contacted me for an onsite interview. They flew me to Seattle and then I had 3 55 minute interviews back to back. Each one started with a STAR question then led to a CTCI like question. Didn't think it went to well but after a week they sent me an offer.

Negotiation

Not room to negotiate.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hyderabad (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Hyderabad (India)) in March 2017.

Interview

1 online coding test, received the link through Naukri.com. Then I was flown over to Hyderabad for F2F interviews, had 3 long technical interviews. Then another technical skype interview. And lastly an HR interview.
    I only did LeetCode. And some geeksforgeeks.
    Datastructure and Algorithm is enough.
    Superb experience.
    HRs are very good.
    Interviewers were very smart and gave off hints that make your brain start to work.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They dont deserve to be negotiated with. They give really nice salary.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview process was very pleasent and feedback was quick. Each interviewer was quite friendly and the problems they presented were challenging but quite fun to solve. The final stage of the interview is quite a full day but they try their best to make you feel a lot more relaxed.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Applied online. Received an Assessment exam on Java. Questions were easy. Initially there software was not working, so they delayed the assessment exam. But they are very nice people. they can even postpone the test, if you come across some family emergency. But you should not have clicked those links.

Interview Questions

• 2 programs in Java/C++/JavaScript   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Bengaluru (India)) in April 2017.

Interview

Nothing really to complain about. The interviewers were quite friendly and understanding. A lot of questions on my previous projects including the architecture of the whole thing. Main focus on projects and DSA. Had to write code on a sheet of paper and explain.

Interview Questions

• Round I(Telephonic):
      1. Given a warehouse and tasks which are dependent on other tasks write the sequence of the tasks.
      2. Given two unknowns in a valid parenthesis question how would you decide if it is valid or not.

Round II(Telephonic):
      1. Print nodes at a distance k from a given node.
      2. Clone a linked list with random pointers.
      3. Add two numbers represented as linked lists.

Round III(F2F):
      1. Given 1 represents A, 2 represents B,....., 26 represents Z, find the possible character strings for a given number 12345.
      2. Implement queue using stack.

Round IV(F2F):
      1. Find the height of a tree iteratively.
      2. Find the edge in a binary tree such that cutting the edge would give two binary trees with the same number of nodes.

Round V(F2F):
      1. Given a sorted array with each value occurring twice except one. Find the element in less than O(n).
      2. Variation of a 0/1 Knapsack problem. After answering this, the problem was modified to the case where one has to find an optimal solution given that you can double the value of a given element of your choice to get the maximum value.
      1 Answer

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Bengaluru (India)) in March 2016.

Interview

Got a call from hr through naukri. The process took 1 day , 1 written round 4 technical rounds.
    Written round has 3 questions based on linked lists, Graphs and regular expression,
    The first and second rounds are completely based on Data structures, Third round asked about process thread , OS concepts and again on heaps ,priority Queues. Fourth round is managerial round based previous work done, Networks, various other questions and again Data structures.

Interview Questions

• Written : reverse linked list in place, find minimum distance in a grid pattern of 0's and 1's, getting a pattern from input string which contains wild card characters (regular expressions)   2 Answers
    • Finding maximum value of a binary tree and return path of ht max value from the root   1 Answer
    • find k largest value from int array   1 Answer
    • implement k stacks in a given array   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

7 debugging questions, then puzzles and maths problems. hackerrank- 4 algorithms questions, onsite- algorithms. Recruiter was not at all helpful and did not let me know of the outcome of the onsite interview . until after a month. Though Amazon's regular SLA is 5 days for feedback to interviewers, my recruiter did not get back to me in 30 days. After more than a month I was handed a rejection without any proper feedback or justification.

Interview Questions

• LRU, Topological sort, K closest points   1 Answer