Amazon Software Development Engineer Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Software Development Engineer Intern Interview Questions

3.2

199 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2014.

Interview

At first, the RH team of Amazon contacted me to make an appointment for two phone interviews of 45min each with 15min break.
The interviews were technical interviews about Collections and Binary Search Trees. I had to implement a program in each interview about those topics.
In the first I had to write a method, using the website http://collabedit.com/ , that receives an integer and returns a string. That is an example:
brackets(0) = {} // no return
brackets(1) = { () } // returns a string with “()”
brackets(2) = { (()), ()() }
brackets(3) = { ((())), (()()), (())(), ()(()), ()()() }
In the second I had to discourse about Trees and to know how to implement one.
That was all that happened!

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Applied via college career fair. Was selected for an oncampus interview. There were two rounds of 45 mins each. Both technical. There were questions mostly related to data structures thrown at me. For example sort a linked list in place, sort a string in place. String question - Example "HELLO WORLD" output- "OLLEH DLROW".

Interview Questions

• Find top 10 occurring words in a page.   2 Answers

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Applied in December. Interviewed in January. Two phone interviews where I was asked to code in collabedit.com. Was asked three questions in total. The interviewers were very warm and friendly.

First interview: Asked about time complexity of Hashmaps, Linked List and arrays. Implementation of Hashmaps etc.
    Given a list of numbers, determine which numbers occur with odd frequencies.
    Optimize my code

Second interview: Asked to implement the game Fuzz buzz

Interview Questions

• Given a mathematical expression, what data structure would you use to evaluate the expression?
      How would you design the above question to use Trees/Graphs.   2 Answers

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Interview

Interviewed on campus. First guy was very unprofessional. Was laughing half the time I was answering his questions. He at one time made a snide remark directly at me, I almost just walked out the room. I first asked him if he was comfortable with the language I chose, but I had to constantly stop and explain to him the simplest syntax and functions.

Second guy was very professional. Straight and direct, seemed very robotic.

Very disappointed with the interview process. Do not see myself working in this type of environment.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon in February 2014.

Interview

Interviewed at Campus for SDE Intern position.
    2 back to back in-person interviews.

Basic concepts of ArrayList, LinkedList. Brief discussion on projects.
    One thing that I want to change in Amazon's website (any of them).
    Asked to code all factors of a number, check if a given word is valid in a given dictionary. If not, try jumbling and see if it can be rearranged to a valid word.

Basic concepts of heaps, BT, BST etc.
    Asked to code k-merge algorithm for linked lists, check if BT is a BST.

Overall pretty standard questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2014.

Interview

A month after my online application through my schools job board I received an email to set up phone interviews. I had to choose my preferred time blocks for each day. Two 45 minute sessions back to back over the phone.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Had two phone interviews, 15 minutes apart from each other. They both went well and the questions weren't that hard. They have you use collabedit.com or something like that to do pair programming.

Interview Questions

• Take two arrays of values and find the intersection between them. Most efficient way. Recursive functions.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Apply online around mid Jan. Been notified for on campus interview at end of Jan. Scheduled interview at mid Feb. Two 45 mins back to back interviews with two Amazon employees. Pure technical interviews. Only talked a little bit about my project. As to interview questions, there are there questions in total. Focus on data structures and algorithms, as well as OO design. No hard questions though.

Interview Questions

• Find all black regions on image, flood algorithm. OO design a address book.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

The recruiter first sent an e-mail to arrange a time slot for the interview at about 6 days prior to the interview date. The interview was a back-to-back interview, each of which is 45 minutes. The interviewer all asked about technical questions, no personal question. The last 5 minutes of the interview were left for me to ask questions about the company.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected question for me was about networking:
      Given two IP addresses and one subnet mask as input (All are string data type), write a function to determine whether the two IP addresses are in the same subnet.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Interview

2 phone interviews back to back. Really smooth process and got a response back quickly!

Interview Questions

• Sometimes the interviewer would not talk, but it is to let you do all the talking.   Answer Question